CaptainJackSparrow

San Andreas OS Thread | 314m OS | 469.6m WW | China biggest OS market with 101.4m

I could see this being the "World War Z" of this summer. A blockbuster everyone thought was going to tank and flop....but ends up being more of a sleeper success.

$375-$440 OS (Especially with China going for it)

WWZ is a zombie thriller that had a series of frequently reported production problems. The zombie genre never did gross more than $80M dom. 

San Andreas on the other hand belongs to the tried-and-true disaster thriller which historically is very popular. 2012 earned $700M WW.  Day After Tomorrow, Poseidon Adventure, and Towering Inferno - all are hugely popular.

Also, just for comparison's sake: Towering Inferno would have grossed close to $500M if it is released today. Earthquake (1974) would have done $300M+ & Poseidon Adventure (1972) $400M+

• Like 1

With MMFR doing very good business, Warner may have a nice pair of medium-sized hits (Andreas $400M WW, MMFR $300M WW) here that sums to an equivalent of a single superhero movie ($600M -$700M WW). Problem is price tag of Max is little too high.

300 mill for MMFR is a liiiiiite low ;)

No, that's no flop, just a poor performance if its first days are any indication. With the comparatively low budget (for a big-scale disaster movie) it should be out of trouble financial wise.

Wait, what? I thought this would be a big hit overseas!

Europe is not relevant for this movie. Its Asia and Latin America where it'll make its money. It should do quite well in China, Mexico, Brazil, S.Korea....I think it will outgross Pacific Rim in almost all big markets, have my doubts with China.

300+ OS looks like a safe bet.

• Like 3

Europe is not relevant for this movie. Its Asia and Latin America where it'll make its money. It should do quite well in China, Mexico, Brazil, S.Korea....I think it will outgross Pacific Rim in almost all big markets, have my doubts with China.

300+ OS looks like a safe bet.

I don't know about Mexico. Remember that Pacific Rim 's director is Guillermo del Toro. But all over the rest of LA San Andreas should easily win. $50m+ from LA could happen so $300m+ OS seems right to me :)

• Like 2