CoolioD1

87TH ACADEMY AWARDS CEREMONY DISCUSSION THREAD AAAHHH! | Discuss It Live Here

See, here's the issue with that in general: You get assholes in your face when you say, for example, "I didn't see American Sniper, I thought it looked dull," and then they say in response, "LOL, then your opinion means nothing; how can you say Boyhood is the best movie of the year when you missed out on American Sniper???"

I can't deal with that shit; I got a reputation to uphold.

That can be a problem. I guess just try to learn to not take awards so seriously to the point where they affect your opinions on films. Edited by Empire
  • Like 1

BIRDMAN speaks to a lot of Hollywood... Struggling with your passion project, all that self-loathing, but the show must go on, and finally fame and new recognition, etc etc etc.

I also don't think WHIPLASH is great. It was good... I don't get the love, though.

I can only tell you how Whiplash made me feel.  I felt like I was watching a combination of Rocky and 8 Mile, two fantastic films imo.  I thought Whiplash was outstanding.  As for Birdman, it floored me.  I thought Keaton's performance was up there with the likes of Heath Ledgers.  I'm not saying these two films are going to be loved by everyone but I certainly think they will be future classics.  I think if nothing else they are worth seeing just for the performances.

• Like 6

I can only tell you how Whiplash made me feel.  I felt like I was watching a combination of Rocky and 8 Mile, two fantastic films imo.  I thought Whiplash was outstanding.  As for Birdman, it floored me.  I thought Keaton's performance was up there with the likes of Heath Ledgers.  I'm not saying these two films are going to be loved by everyone but I certainly think they will be future classics.  I think if nothing else they are worth seeing just for the performances.

The performances in both were very good, yes.

• Like 1

It's more in response to you and Alpha forcing that meme.

Well, I begrudgingly kept my mouth shut about Boyhood pretty much since release because everyone here seemed to really love it, but I just couldn't hold it in any longer on Hollywood's biggest night where I thought it was gonna win.   :P 

A list of movies that lost Best Picture:

Citizen Kane

The Wizard of Oz

Every Disney, Pixar, and Studio Gili Movie

The Shawshank Redemption

Pulp Fiction

Fargo

Goodfellas

Star Wars

Network

The Graduate

Singing In The Rain

Raging Bull

Every Alfred Hitchcock Movie

Every David Fincher Movie

There Will Be Blood

Saving Private Ryan

Every Stanley Kubrick Movie

Every Lord/Miller Movie

Need I go on?

Edited by Spaghetti
  • Like 2

Birdman is such a silly film. But the Oscars are rather silly anymore, so it fits I suppose. Shitty show overall. Only true highlights were Glory performance followed by Glory win and Budapest's surprise score win, the category it most deserved of all.

Also Keaton not winning was a highlight. Overrated performance by an overrated actor who wouldn't have cared about the award anyways and joked it off. Good riddance he wasn't given his supposed "due."

Birdman is such a silly film. But the Oscars are rather silly anymore, so it fits I suppose. Shitty show overall. Only true highlights were Glory performance followed by Glory win and Budapest's surprise score win, the category it most deserved of all.

Also Keaton not winning was a highlight. Overrated performance by an overrated actor who wouldn't have cared about the award anyways and joked it off. Good riddance he wasn't given his supposed "due."

Are you trying to edgy and cynical just to get attention?   :P