Sound Editing - American Sniper
Sound Mixing - Whiplash
Visual Effects - Interstellar
Animated Film - How to Train Your Dragon 2
Documentary - CITIZENFOUR
Foreign Language Film - Ida
Edited by The Stingray
  • Like 1

Definitely rooting for Boyhood. I don’t feel comfortable with Birdman sweeping except for Actor when Keaton is easily the main reason the movie works as well as it does.

Also, I was thinking about this the other day... how much more interesting would it be if Fox Searchlight had done some category fraud and put Fiennes in Supporting because technically, Zero is the lead? Supporting Actor would be much tighter I’d have to believe.

Oh, and by the way:

Eh, Selma was surrounded by actual controversy, Lego by internet fanboy controversy. They don't give a shit about that.

Random Academy voter says otherwise:

It's not even close for me: "Everything Is Awesome" is a great song and voting for it is a way to give something to The Lego MovieMY VOTE: "Everything Is Awesome" 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/brutally-honest-oscar-ballot-2015-773902?utm_source=twitter  

Edited by Blankments

I'm not sure even ralph fiennes could've beaten JK Simmons. it's just soooo the kind of performance that wins the supporting actor category. look through the years and the two things you'll see is how much mentors and villains win that category. and he's a mentorvillain.

• Like 7

I'm not sure even ralph fiennes could've beaten JK Simmons. it's just soooo the kind of performance that wins the supporting actor category. look through the years and the two things you'll see is how much mentors and villains win that category. and he's a mentorvillain.

To be fair though, Fiennes is a mentor. I think it could've been close, with awards being split everywhere between the two. But IDK. They're both great performances.

• Like 1

nah. If I was gonna come up with a scientific formula for "roles that win supporting actor" JK Simmons in Whiplash would be as close a result as possible.

I don't like category fraud anyway. so I'm glad fox didn't go that way. Fiennes got way closer to an oscar nomination than I thought he would when I saw the movie almost a whole year ago now. (and besides, he won the boffy...)

• Like 3

To be fair though, Fiennes is a mentor. I think it could've been close, with awards being split everywhere between the two. But IDK. They're both great performances.

Fiennes is a no doubt about it lead in GBH.  As great as the script, direction, production design and supporting actors are it's his performance that drives the film and makes it truly memorable. He deserved to be nominated and IMO win Best Actor over Keaton.

Well, that's 140 minutes of your life you'll never get back. 

Eh, it's not fashionable to say but I enjoyed it much more than several "it"  movies from 2014. It would have been better with a stronger dramatic director at the helm and with a couple of subplots cut but the acting was good, the familial relationships and emotions felt real, the court room scenes for the most part were solid and often entertaining and it had two excellent core performances.

Edited by TalismanRing

This year is at least funny, besides acting categories, pundits are lost, they all predict something different, AW forum is in shambles too.

I wish it was that way in the acting categories as well.  Too many winners seems to be decided before even a vote is cast or even most people watch all the eligible films and performances.

Shows what I know for pre-judging but I actually thought the judge was pretty good. there's always something to be said for this kinda old-fashioned heart-on-its-sleeve drama. Duvall proves he can still be great, he does a lot with what he's given here and dissuaded my notion that his nomination was just lazy box ticking for an old veteran. Better than at least 50% of the best picture nominees. (doesn't say a lot for me though. this is a year where half the nominees are in the A-grade range and then the other half are in the C-grade range)

• Like 3

Near Final Predictions

Picture: Birdman

Director: Richard Linklater

Actor: Eddie Redmayne

Actress: Julianne Moore

Supporting Actor: J.K. Simmons

Supporting Actress: Patricia Aqruette

Original Screenplay: Birdman

Adapted Screenplay: The Imitation Game

Original Song: "Glory"

Original Score: The Theory of Everything