Blankments

Blank's 28 Movies of 2014 That Will Be Way Better Than The Oscars Choices Because The Oscars Suck This Year (TOP 5!)

PJVIR1k.png

The Raid 2 is badass. Hammer Girl and Bat Boy are cool. I can’t really even say much about the Raid 2, because it’s basically all badassness nonstop. That said, I feel like I’m gonna have to explain why this is low while there are some other, more dubious action-fests ahead of it on this list. Simply put, The Raid 2 is confused of what we want of it. Evans seems to think, “Well, they liked The Raid: Redemption, but a lot of people thought the plot was kinda not there, so I should add a lot in.” NO. The plot not being there in The Raid is a compliment! That’s why The Raid works so well; it’s non-stop action with no obnoxious over-complicated plot! The Raid 2 is randomly two and half hours long and stuffed with plot and it’s really not needed at all. The action is great though, especially that kitchen fight. Special mention also deserves to go to the car chase which is appropriately brutal and awesome. Everything is awesome with this movie besides the overplotting. All in all, The Raid 2 is a very good film that could’ve been great with a bit more priorities in the filmmaking.

• Like 6

In a way, I'm surprised BH6 made it on my list. I'll tell you this, Peabody will be on my Boffy ballot over it lol. Feast is just a really powerful short that brought it up :P

I didn't care much for P&S at all really. Gave it a C I think. :ph34r:

• Like 2

23. The Book of Life

uYvZISm.png

Okay, this is probably the first “What?” of my picks but I don’t care. The Book of Life is a ridiculously adorable animated film and a real hidden gem. No one here saw this movie and it makes me sad. Tatum channels his inner Gaston for his vocal role, and Perlman plays a great trickster villain with panache. The real breakout from it is Diego Luna, whose crooning voice is perfect for the music and the emotional prowess required for the story. Speaking of the music, I just love the music in this. It proves animated jukebox musicals can work if they do it right. With mariachi renditions of Mumford and Sons and Radiohead songs, the music fits perfectly with the awesome Mexican vibe, beautifully expressed through phenomenal animation. The studio behind this only made Free Birds before this and that remains utterly shocking to me. The Book of Life basically feels like a big budget episode of the old Nickelodeon cartoon “El Tigre,” fitting because the creator of that show directed this movie. Sure, the plotline’s a bit generic and the third act dives into the obnoxious big climax needed from today’s movies but you know what? There’s enough charm in this movie to make up for it. One of the bigger surprises this year and one that should not be missed.

• Like 5

Btw, guys... feel free to discuss in this thread stuff... only Empire is posting and I'm giving out free likes... lol

Yeah, people don't let me be the only person commenting. :P

As far as BoL goes, I was surprised I enjoyed so much. Much better than The Boxtrolls and a movie more people should check out. I did like the animation from watching the trailers, but watching the film I was won over. The animation really works for the film.

• Like 1

V57cpdL.png

Remember when I mentioned The Raid 2 and said there were some better actioners on my list. Well, I was talking about this movie. John Wick is so ridiculously badass it’s amazing. It also has the cutest puppy ever in it. Honestly, if John Wick hadn’t come out this year, The Equalizer would’ve probably made my list proper as John Wick takes The Equalizer’s plot and enthuses it with style and an awesome world. The gunplay in this movie is freaking sweet and I love Keanu’s role. Keanu’s always been a fun guy but unfortunately, he’s recently disappeared from most of the limelight. This movie brought him back in full form, and yeah, I’m thinking he’s back. This is the final Willem DaFoe movie on this list, and he has a lot of great scenes that make you think, “Damn you, DaFoe, why you so good?” But not like literally good. It’s hard to explain. You know what, just see the movie. You won’t regret it. Oh, and I gotta mention John Leguizamo’s cameo in it because it’s the best exchange ever. That said, I’m not gonna retype it since you can just go check baumer’s review in his top of the year list for it. John Wick is one of the best directed action movies in recent years and basically, if you haven’t seen it, you’re not on the Wick train.

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 5

Raid 2, good.

People complaining about the plot getting in the way is kinda tiresome, it's not that difficult a plot to follow and follows lots of archetypes and common points and hits them pretty well.

Eh... it's more that the over-complicated plot takes time away from the action, which is the real reason I want to watch the movie, y'know?

• Like 1

Raid 2, good.

People complaining about the plot getting in the way is kinda tiresome, it's not that difficult a plot to follow and follows lots of archetypes and common points and hits them pretty well.

It's a little rambly, and occasional stylish choice aside, treads the same ground other, better dramas have. Moar ass-kicking plz, kthxbai

• Like 2

PJVIR1k.png

The Raid 2 is badass. Hammer Girl and Bat Boy are cool. I can’t really even say much about the Raid 2, because it’s basically all badassness nonstop. That said, I feel like I’m gonna have to explain why this is low while there are some other, more dubious action-fests ahead of it on this list. Simply put, The Raid 2 is confused of what we want of it. Evans seems to think, “Well, they liked The Raid: Redemption, but a lot of people thought the plot was kinda not there, so I should add a lot in.” NO. The plot not being there in The Raid is a compliment! That’s why The Raid works so well; it’s non-stop action with no obnoxious over-complicated plot! The Raid 2 is randomly two and half hours long and stuffed with plot and it’s really not needed at all. The action is great though, especially that kitchen fight. Special mention also deserves to go to the car chase which is appropriately brutal and awesome. Everything is awesome with this movie besides the overplotting. All in all, The Raid 2 is a very good film that could’ve been great with a bit more priorities in the filmmaking.

I think it's less that Evans was trying to add plot elements than he was trying to fit his earlier movie idea into the "make a Raid sequel" hole. The meshing doesn't quite fit. On one hand the plot elements distract a bit from the action, and on the other the action doesn't quite fit in with his attempt at a sprawling crime epic. He's probably too young a filmmaker to pull off the latter, at the moment, but there's enough interesting things in the plot that he could make something really keen later in his career.

With all that said, the pacing of the action scenes throughout the film is masterful. Each one is amazing and thrilling and I kept wondering if that was the peak of the film, but nope. The stakes kept getting raised so it was like each scene was an improvement on the previous. Just wow.

23. The Book of Life

uYvZISm.png

Okay, this is probably the first “What?” of my picks but I don’t care. The Book of Life is a ridiculously adorable animated film and a real hidden gem. No one here saw this movie and it makes me sad. Tatum channels his inner Gaston for his vocal role, and Perlman plays a great trickster villain with panache. The real breakout from it is Diego Luna, whose crooning voice is perfect for the music and the emotional prowess required for the story. Speaking of the music, I just love the music in this. It proves animated jukebox musicals can work if they do it right. With mariachi renditions of Mumford and Sons and Radiohead songs, the music fits perfectly with the awesome Mexican vibe, beautifully expressed through phenomenal animation. The studio behind this only made Free Birds before this and that remains utterly shocking to me. The Book of Life basically feels like a big budget episode of the old Nickelodeon cartoon “El Tigre,” fitting because the creator of that show directed this movie. Sure, the plotline’s a bit generic and the third act dives into the obnoxious big climax needed from today’s movies but you know what? There’s enough charm in this movie to make up for it. One of the bigger surprises this year and one that should not be missed.

BoL is fantastic. The world design is off the charts amazing. I hope that Fox and Reel FX have enough confidence in it to let Gutierrez do more, since I think he has planned two others.

• Like 1