Blankments

Blank's 28 Movies of 2014 That Will Be Way Better Than The Oscars Choices Because The Oscars Suck This Year (TOP 5!)

a9K3hii.png

Noah is a widely ambitious movie that I’m still not sure how much I truly liked of it. That said, I really liked the ambition of it. The movie is surprisingly performance-driven for a blockbuster, with fantastic turns by both Crowe and Watson. Crowe especially makes you feel for Noah, portraying the complexities Aronofsky adds to the character to near perfection. Speaking of Aronofsky, this is a movie that simply has to be made by him. There’s real oddities to be found like rock giants and a Gladiator-esque backstory for Noah but it all works. Well, except for the Stowaway subplot with Logan Lerman but that’s fine, I guess. No movie’s perfect and this clearly isn’t in my top 20 so the eh subplot is fine for this placing. The spectacle really doesn’t disappoint either, but the true meat of Noah really comes in the second half where, following a fantastic depiction of the universe being formed, the film becomes a psychological drama about just how far faith should go. Noah is far from a masterpiece but it’s a very interesting experiment that is worthy of being on a list like this.

• Like 8

Ok, well, I'm tired.  Long day today and early morning tomorrow.

Putting on JAWS now (for the 1500th time).

I'll check back later.  But so help me, if you have Tammy as a great film, I will personally hunt you down, I will find you and I will kill you.

• Like 3

a9K3hii.png

Noah is a widely ambitious movie that I’m still not sure how much I truly liked of it. That said, I really liked the ambition of it. The movie is surprisingly performance-driven for a blockbuster, with fantastic turns by both Crowe and Watson. Crowe especially makes you feel for Noah, portraying the complexities Aronofsky adds to the character to near perfection. Speaking of Aronofsky, this is a movie that simply has to be made by him. There’s real oddities to be found like rock giants and a Gladiator-esque backstory for Noah but it all works. Well, except for the Stowaway subplot with Logan Lerman but that’s fine, I guess. No movie’s perfect and this clearly isn’t in my top 20 so the eh subplot is fine for this placing. The spectacle really doesn’t disappoint either, but the true meat of Noah really comes in the second half where, following a fantastic depiction of the universe being formed, the film becomes a psychological drama about just how far faith should go. Noah is far from a masterpiece but it’s a very interesting experiment that is worthy of being on a list like this.

exorcist-puke-scene-o.gif

• Like 1

LJ9KPAj.png

I love musicals. I haven’t really kept that secret around here. Another thing I haven’t kept secret around here is that I hate Meryl Streep. Yet, lo and behold, my love of musicals overtakes my hate of Streep with this film. Into the Woods benefits a lot from the source material. Sondheim’s musicals take the cake in having intricate melodies and clever lyrics. Where Into the Woods really excels compared to other film musicals is that, with the exception of Johnny Depp (who’s only in it for about five minutes anyway), everyone can act and sing this. Striking difference from Les Miserables, which notably had one actor who couldn’t sing, and one singer who couldn’t act. Chris Pine and Emily Blunt are highlights; the former is utterly hilarious and the latter continues her streak of charming roles with believable acting. Heck, even Streep is okay. The direction could be better and Depp is kinda eh but when the movie is this fun, who really cares? Into the Woods is a fine addition to the movie musical sub-genre.

• Like 4