LexJoker

4-Day Wknd Est: AS - 105.3M, Pad - 25.2M, TWR - 24.5M,Taken 3 - 17.44M (pg 109)

But Selma was just about MLK at Selma. Not a biopic about his whole life. 

And I'd like to point out DuVernay doesn't gloss over his imperfections as a man in the film. She doesn't make him out to be some sparkling clean god-like deity that deserves worship or something.

• Like 1

I didn't say anything is wrong with it. Minnesota is suppose not patriotic about people on my Facebook are talking about.  So it not just this middle America is only seeing this. 

Is NC considered Middle America? I mean technically it's on the east border. but people here flock to these movies. my theater. was 3/4 of the way full and it was a matee in a semi-small town.  

Edited by KaloVisor

The first film was very good and ended perfectly, I'm unsure if a sequel is necessary but I'll see it anyway because of the great cast and I imagine the budget at best will be $15-16m so it doesn't need to do big numbers to make money.

It was a good movie, and I'm sure the sequel will be good and do well enough. I just don't want to see The Third Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

Tbh im getting a little sick of these movies, and so is maybe the rest of the black audience? Selma, 12 Years, Django, Butler, Fruitvale...its overkill. you see what blacks are currently going through in America, im at the point where im tired of seeing black opression.

Can we see a movie about a black figure that doesnt have to do with A, slavery, B. Civil rights opression, or C. The blight of minority America for once? Im glad Selma was made. The 50's and 60's was a rough, rough time for blacks in America, and it wasnt deserved, but it'd be nice for once in a while to get a movie where we can be shown succesful and impowering, and not being beat down by everyone. Thats why Madea movies and Ride Alongs and Wedding Ringers, and Think Like A Mans, etc do so well. Dont be mad at America for not going to Selma. We choose what we choose.

Chris Kyle has a book and a movie, thats it. MLK has a movie, tv biopics, books, museums, streets, highways, high schools, middle schools, a HOLIDAY, a national monument, probably a video game, and basically 75% of Atlanta named and molded after him. Just because his movie didnt outgross one about a sniper doesnt mean his legacy is less. Honestly in 50 years no one may know who Chris Kyle is, but MLK will live forever, so chill.

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Give me a Booker T Washington movie!

• Like 6

what's wrong with a little patriotism? 

Patriotism is as fierce as a fever, pitiless as the grave, blind as a stone, and irrational as a headless hen. – Ambrose Bierce

;)

I believe in my whole race. Yellow, white, black, red, brown --in the honesty, courage, intelligence, durability....and goodness.....of the overwhelming majority of my brothers and sisters everywhere on this planet. I am proud to be a human being. I believe that we have come this far by the skin of our teeth, that we always make it just by the skin of our teeth --but that we will always make it....survive....endure. I believe that this hairless embryo with the aching, oversize brain case and the opposable thumb, this animal barely up from the apes, will endure --will endure longer than his home planet, will spread out to the other planets, to the stars, and beyond, carrying with him his honesty, his insatiable curiosity, his unlimited courage --and his noble essential decency. 

- Heinlein

• Like 4

I believe in my whole race. Yellow, white, black, red, brown --in the honesty, courage, intelligence, durability....and goodness.....of the overwhelming majority of my brothers and sisters everywhere on this planet. I am proud to be a human being. I believe that we have come this far by the skin of our teeth, that we always make it just by the skin of our teeth --but that we will always make it....survive....endure. I believe that this hairless embryo with the aching, oversize brain case and the opposable thumb, this animal barely up from the apes, will endure --will endure longer than his home planet, will spread out to the other planets, to the stars, and beyond, carrying with him his honesty, his insatiable curiosity, his unlimited courage --and his noble essential decency. 

- Heinlein

Are you just quoting Halle Berry's Oscar acceptance speech?

• Like 1

On the flip side, if Eastwood had directed SELMA and vice versa, the films' successes would've probably switched as well (although not as dramatically).

Who knows I guess. Eastwood's name would have certainly allotted more money to the marketing campaign. I doubt that would have flipped the film's successes though so that Selma would have been in contention to make 300m and AS only 60m or so. The Butler is the only modern instance I can think of where a movie dealing with African American rights was able to hit 100 at the box office without a main white protagonist like Lincoln and The Help had.

I listened to Tele's advice and wrote a movie

Chuck Norris turns to Liam Neeson. They are both on the run from the evil Jamie Foxx when suddenly, someone shouts for help. They turn and see Phil Lord, Chris Miller, and Ava DuVernay sobbing. They turn to another direction and see the SNUB-BOTS. Chuck Norris asks Liam Neeson what he thinks, and Neeson narrows his eyes, and murmurs that he shouldn't have turned down Spielberg for Lincoln. The Snub-Bots attack! Birdman flies in and grabs Norris with his feet! Chuck Norris squirms but cannot escape the grasp of Michael Keaton! Meanwhile, Liam Neeson's eyes glare down in 4:3 angle towards some flying pastries! He dodges the bombs, but unfortunately, a Snub-Bot throws a Boyhood-Bomb at him, trapping Neeson in a 12-year-time-slip that's actually resembles Interstellar more than Boyhood!

As Norris and Neeson head to their doom, Lord, Miller, and DuVernay stare in terror, but then, are ready to fight! Phil Lord throws some bricks at the Snub-Bots, which explode into those awesome LEGO explosions! Chris Miller pulls out LEGO Batman's grapple gun and throws it onto Birdman!  Miller takes the grapple up, and Birdman out! DuVernay sees the Boyhood bomb, but counters, as she has a dream bigger than any childhood dream; she has a dream today! The dream saves the day and all the Snub-Bots die! ... Except for the horrible, the horrendous, GIANT FLETCHER-BOT! He tells the five that this is not his tempo, terrifying them all! Who will save the day???

Out of nowhere fly in the B-Team: Lou Bloom, Martin Luther King Jr., and a walking, talking piece of cake (Jennifer Aniston)! Lou Bloom teleports all over the place, Martin Luther King Jr. performs inception, and the cake lies to Fletcher-bot! Fletcher-Bot self-destructs in a horrible fire! Chuck Norris and Liam Neeson have saved the day! Well, not really, seeing how all the fault lied with the people who were snubbed at the Oscars. Norris and Neeson thank everybody, but then comment that this should probably be edited out of the next actual Chuck Norris and Liam Neeson movie. Everyone sings an awkward melody of "Glory" and "Everything is Awesome" as it is THE END

• Like 2