luna

James Cameron

I believe there are some films that are worth an 11/10.  Cameron has two of them.  Aliens and T2 redefined their genres.  He might be an arrogant bastard and tough to work for, but he's also a genius,  And he has so many who have worked with him on several projects....Arnold, Paxton, Biehn, Weaver, Henriksen...so he can't be all that bad.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 4

I like or love almost all his movies.  There are some that didn't work for me, but still overall, he has done well by me

1. Titanic - 10/10

2. Terminator - 10/10

3. Aliens - 10/10

4. Terminator 2 - 9/10

5. True Lies - 9/10

6. The Abyss - 7/10

7. Avatar - 6/10

• Like 1

no james cameron thread yet! goodness.

5.3 titanic (memory)

5.0 avatar (memory)

4.3 terminator 2

4.0 terminator

2.3 aliens

2.0 xenogenesis

yet to see: true lies; the abyss; piranha part two

and a bunch of his documentaries, which i don't care about.

Somebody doesn't like the Terminator movies?!

:mellow: I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Terminator - 20/20 - Sci-fi B-movie quintessence: Time travel, a love story over impending doom, resonating thematics underneath the dire and dry filmmaking conditions, an iconic antagonist. Tight as fuck. a running thematic Cameron's love/hate relationship with technology exploring the fascination and the repulsion intertwined with the concept of fate and free will.

Aliens - 20/20 - the perfect sequel. An iconic female character that thrones forever in the most memorable action stars walk of fame that ever graced the screen.

Abyss - 18/20 - James Cameron's passionate Ode to his passion of submarine life and his ecological ethics.(For those who wrongly think that Avatar was his cynical attempt at surfing on a trend to sell cheap)

Terminator 2 - 21/20 - the summer blockbuster quintessence. The conclusion of his dyptique about technology. T1 was the pessimistic fatalistic version, T2 will be the existentialist version. The future is in our hands, technology is a tool and it only depends on mankind, technology can be the instrument of our Eschaton as much as it can be our Salvation thus it only reflects ourselves, it personifies and antagonizes our paradoxes, our strengths and our weaknesses, capacity for good and appetite for evildoing. Two sides of the same coin.

True Lies - 18/20 - An explosive cocktail of action and comedy, last time Arnie was at the top of the world.

Titanic - 20/20 - The ultimate four quadrant juggernaut when real life tragedy blends with a tragic love story, death and renaissance of eras crystallized through the eyes of a woman.

Avatar - 20/20 - Cameron pays homage to old school adventure archetypes and pantheism philosophy while paradoxically adventing the most cutting edge technology on the modern era to illustrate a tale of reconnecting with nature and environment, reincarnation and transcendance (the Avatar notion taken from buddhist philosophy). Cameron's fascination about technology is still there in spades, how mankind design the tools of their destruction out of greed and genocidal conquest. Killing nature is killing ourselves, killing cultures is killing our humanity.

James Cameron is one of my favourite directors in Hollywood because he is a master at staging awesome action sequences that are never confusing or straining to the eye whilst still energetic without adding jittery movements to bring artificial rythm to the sequence, although being able to paint sympathetic blue collar/grunt/down to the earth characters in broad strokes that feel genuine reigning and keeping the sentimentalism at a reasonable bay because he knows that the audience needs to be involved and empathizing with those characters for the exciting action sequences to be effective as a cathartic and memorable experience, otherwise it's just mindless stimulus akin to electroshocks to a numb rat in a cage. All his movies got that rewatchable factor, there's always something here and there to re-discover and enjoy.

You got character moments and jaw-dropping action blended in a tight and effective cocktail that are treated with the same earnest drive and naive belief infused with perfectionist gusto and technological proficiency, committed to his vision that you either love it or hate it but 100% reflects the man's ethos that has always impressed me since I was a kid up to this day.(For me, aside Spielberg, Cameron is the model of blockbuster filmmaking ever since I analyze movies underneath the shallow surface)

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 6

Terminator - 20/20 - Sci-fi B-movie quintessence: Time travel, a love story over impending doom, resonating thematics underneath the dire and dry filmmaking conditions, an iconic antagonist. Tight as fuck. a running thematic Cameron's love/hate relationship with technology exploring the fascination and the repulsion intertwined with the concept of fate and free will.

Aliens - 20/20 - the perfect sequel. An iconic female character that thrones forever in the most memorable action stars walk of fame that ever graced the screen.

Abyss - 18/10 - James Cameron's passionate Ode to his passion of submarine life and his ecological ethics.(For those who wrongly think that Avatar was his cynical attempt at surfing on a trend to sell cheap)

Terminator 2 - 21/20 - the summer blockbuster quintessence. The conclusion of his dyptique about technology. T1 was the pessimistic fatalistic version, T2 will be the existentialist version. The future is in our hands, technology is a tool and it only depends on mankind, technology can be the instrument of our Eschaton as much as it can be our Salvation thus it only reflects ourselves, it personifies and antagonizes our paradoxes, our strengths and our weaknesses, capacity for good and appetite for evildoing. Two sides of the same coin.

True Lies - 18/20 - An explosive cocktail of action and comedy, last time Arnie was at the top of the world.

Titanic - 20/20 - The ultimate four quadrant juggernaut when real life tragedy blends with a tragic love story, death and renaissance of eras crystallized through the eyes of a woman.

Avatar - 20/20 - Cameron pays homage to old school adventure archetypes and pantheism philosophy while paradoxically adventing the most cutting edge technology on the modern era to illustrate a tale of reconnecting with nature and environment, reincarnation and transcendance (the Avatar notion taken from buddhist philosophy). Cameron's fascination about technology is still there in spades, how mankind design the tools of their destruction out of greed and genocidal conquest. Killing nature is killing ourselves, killing cultures is killing our humanity.

James Cameron is one of my favourite directors in Hollywood because he is a master at staging awesome action sequences that are never confusing or straining to the eye whilst still energetic without adding jittery movements to bring artificial rythm to the sequence, although being able to paint sympathetic blue collar/grunt/down to the earth characters in broad strokes that feel genuine reigning and keeping the sentimentalism at a reasonable bay because he knows that the audience needs to be involved and empathizing with those characters for the exciting action sequences to be effective as a cathartic and memorable experience, otherwise it's just mindless stimulus akin to electroshocks to a numb rat in a cage. All his movies got that rewatchable factor, there's always something here and there to re-discover and enjoy.

You got character moments and jaw-dropping action blended in a tight and effective cocktail that are treated with the same earnest drive and naive belief infused with perfectionist gusto and technological proficiency, committed to his vision that you either love it or hate it but 100% reflects the man's ethos that has always impressed me since I was a kid up to this day.(For me, aside Spielberg, Cameron is the model of blockbuster filmmaking ever since I analyze movies underneath the shallow surface)

post-23187-Dwayne-The-Rock-Johnson-Clapp

• Like 3

Abyss - 18/20 - James Cameron's passionate Ode to his passion of submarine life and his ecological ethics.(For those who wrongly think that Avatar was his cynical attempt at surfing on a trend to sell cheap)

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Aliens is playing at the Cineplex Festival of something in London.  I just missed it by an hour.  But I did get to go in the theater and watch 5 minutes of it....right at the "that's great that's just fuckin great" part.  So cool seeing it on big screen.

• Like 2

List of Cameron loonies :

Dashrendar44

The Futurist

Baumer

Telemachos ( not sure if loonie but likes the man a lot)

Feel free to copy paste this list and add yourself to this glorious team of misfits.

With pleasure....

List of Cameron loonies :

Dashrendar44

The Futurist

Baumer

Telemachos ( not sure if loonie but likes the man a lot)

Rorschach Ackerman :P

• Like 2