kayumanggi

STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS | 1131.6 M overseas | 2068.2 M worldwide

16 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think Furious 7 would have beaten SW7 in many markets. Minus Japan and Korea Furious won every other asian markets. Also it won every south/latin american markets as well. So both the runs are super impressive. Growth of F7 in so many markets was crazy despite walker factor.

Yup. It's run is the most amazing I've found since Avatar.

And I'm pretty sure F7 beats TFA in terms of admissions overseas, maybe even worldwide.

• Like 4

TFA WKND 1: $281m
TFA MON: $41.7m
TFA TUE: $41.3m
TFA WED: $38.4m
TFA WKND 2: $136.9m (-51%) / $550.3m 
TFA WKND 3: $96.3m (-30%) / $770.5m
TFA WKND 4: $104m (+9%), $52.7m China debut / $921.4m
TFA WKND 5: $47.3m (-55%), ~$20m China 2nd wknd / $1012.6m
TFA WKND 6: $23.3m (-51%), $8m China 3rd wknd / $1060.7m
TFA WKND 7: $12.6m (-46%) / $1087.8m

TFA WKND 8: ~$7m (-44%) / $1102.4m

DH2 WKND 1: $313.5m
DH2 MON: $41m
DH2 TUE: $35m
DH2 WED: $35m
DH2 WKND 2: $120.2m (-62%) / $559m
DH2 WKND 3: $66.4m (-45%) / $690.4m
DH2 WKND 4: $63.1m (-5%), $25.5m China debut / $792.4m
DH2 WKND 5: $29.3m (-54%), $8.1m China 2nd wknd / $858.2m
DH2 WKND 6: $14.3m (-51%) / $900m
DH2 WKND 7: $8.2m (-43%) / $923.4m

DH2 WKND 8: $5.5m (-33%) / $937m

• Like 2

Deadline:

In Europe, it has now crossed $600M to become only the third film ever in the region to do so.

The other 2 movies are Titanic and Avatar, I guess? So TFA grossed $600M in Europe with a population of ~750M and North America comes in with $900M / ~350M inhabitants. It shows what a huge cultural behemoth Star Wars is in America.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, boxofficefreak said:

Perfect response to a troll haha +1

I haven't run any numbers and tried to make an estimate myself, but fake has been around for years and has shown a good understanding of the box office. you two have 108 posts combined and are already calling him a troll. If I were to take anyone's word for it it would easily be Fakes over you two.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tower said:

I haven't run any numbers and tried to make an estimate myself, but fake has been around for years and has shown a good understanding of the box office. you two have 108 posts combined and are already calling him a troll. If I were to take anyone's word for it it would easily be Fakes over you two.

FF7 probably sold more admissions OS.

FF7 biggest markets were in Latin America and Asia where the tickets are cheaper.

Only in China FF7 sold 42-43mio admissions more than TFA.

Edited by efialtes76

1 hour ago, efialtes76 said:

FF7 biggest markets were in Latin America and Asia where the tickets are cheaper.

India especially. Furious probably took in somewhere in the region of 40m admissions in India.

1 hour ago, efialtes76 said:

Agreed. Developing countries in LA particularly Mexico, compounded with the insurmountable admissions gap in China proved too much to overcome for TFA

2 hours ago, Tower said:

First of all, I haven't called anyone a troll, so stop putting words in my mouth. Second of all, when you post nonsense, you should expect a nonsensical response. Saying F7's run was the most impressive since Avatar is just that, nonsense (unless we're talking China only). TFA actually became the No1 movie domestically and in the UK, and has become one of the few movies in France to cross 10 million admissions (only three other HW movies in the past 25 years). It is the third highest grossing film in Germany, only behind Titanic and Avatar. It is also the second highest grossing movie in Australia, and the first live action movie in Japan to pass ¥11 billion. Lets not even mention OW records. I'll just post this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_box_office_records_set_by_Star_Wars:_The_Force_Awakens

The only markets where F7 broke records were China, Mexico (top 3 all time) and India (hardly a big market for Hollywood movies. F7 as the top grossing movie made only $24 million). F7 performance outside of China has been great, but hardly amazing. TFA will make almost $250 million more internationally than F7 outside of China.

• Like 1

LOL at couple of new posters calling Fake a troll.  Fake is among the best here. You just have to look at smaller countries where Furious 7 crushed SW7 and ticket prices are way cheaper than developed markets. I will let Fake chime in on break down but also dont forget F7 did not have 3d in most markets. SW7 had 3d boost everywhere.

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

I think F7's OS run is amazing but it falls behind TFA and JW for me overall, if only because its domestic run was hardly record breaking and paled in comparison. 

Dont forget the franchise just sometime back had a 62m domestic and 158m WW grosser. From there its gone on to 1.5B WW gross. It was never supposed to be among the biggest grossers but at least OS its bigger than most films. That's beyond impressive.

52 minutes ago, TommyA10 said:

First of all, I haven't called anyone a troll, so stop putting words in my mouth. Second of all, when you post nonsense, you should expect a nonsensical response. Saying F7's run was the most impressive since Avatar is just that, nonsense (unless we're talking China only).

The post I quoted was calling him a troll. and there is no single obvious measurement for impressive, so it's going to be somewhat subjective, so using admissions versus dollars or or how a film performs compared to the rest of the franchise isn't nonsense.