kayumanggi

STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS | 1131.6 M overseas | 2068.2 M worldwide

Even with the great success OS of TFA, 1127 million, can´t surpass the 1242 million of Titanic of 1998... This makes me realize how unbelievable monster it was. The price of tickets were almost half, in 1998 China was notning and other countries like Russia, S. Korea, Latin America countries were much smaller and even though got this number....

This comparision really shock me....

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, setna said:

Even with the great success OS of TFA, 1127 million, can´t surpass the 1242 million of Titanic of 1998... This makes me realize how unbelievable monster it was. The price of tickets were almost half, in 1998 China was notning and other countries like Russia, S. Korea, Latin America countries were much smaller and even though got this number....

There have not been a bigger film than Titanic. Not even close. And I do not think we will not see something like that never... it was a beast EVERYWHERE.

You mention China in 1998. Titanic did $44m in China in 1998!!!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, setna said:

Really shows how no film today is even half the success Titanic was, except maybe Avatar.

• Like 1

Cameron the king of BO (Titanic 3.5billion adjusted and only initial release, Avatar 3-3.1 billion adjusted). Only Star Wars 1977 and Gone with the wind are almost at the same level for me!! TFA E.T. ten commandments Doctor Jivagho Jaws or the sound of msuic  are 1 nay 2 levels  below TItanic!!

• Like 1

I don't think that there is such a thing as worldwide adjusted, after all, how would you even get to such a number?

All the markets developed differently, some grew, some became smaller, some collapsed, some exploded. And then you have to get into local currencies, which make it virtually impossible to compare all that. The only way to really make a comparison would be to use local currencies everywhere (which makes a worldwide total impossible, unless you use one default exchange rate) or by using admissions, which aren't counted everywhere in the world.

Titanic more or less blows Avatar out of the water in most of the markets. There are only a selective few where Avatar comes out ahead. This isn't as noticeable in terms of money, as Avatar was way more expensive due to 3D, and it is even less noticeable in terms of Dollars, as Avatar benefitted from coming out at pretty much the weakest point the Dollar had been over the last few decades, but when you look at admissions the difference is really large.

Edited by George Parr
  • Like 1

ONe thing to note is in Brazil the currency rate was artificially kept very high in 1998. So 1 Brazil Real was almost equal to 1$. So Titanic's 70m gross was not as big as some of the recent mega blockbusters. But China gross of Titanic was incredible considering rest made almost nothing. But Titanic benefited from stronger admissions era, europe's BO was healthy and pre-internet piracy era.

7 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

ONe thing to note is in Brazil the currency rate was artificially kept very high in 1998. So 1 Brazil Real was almost equal to 1$. So Titanic's 70m gross was not as big as some of the recent mega blockbusters. But China gross of Titanic was incredible considering rest made almost nothing. But Titanic benefited from stronger admissions era, europe's BO was healthy and pre-internet piracy era.

Titanic remains to be the most attended film ever in Brazil (17.7m admissions). The biggest films today are making around 10 million (both Avengers or Furious 7). So yes, Titanic was enormous independently of ER. You have to take into account that even considering the ER, prices have risen a lot since 1998.

And I would not say Europe was selling much more admissions in 1998 than now. Germany sold 149m admissions in 1998 and 139 last year. Yes, there is a difference, but not so big. And on the other side, in France were sold 170m in 1998 and 192m last year.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, peludo said:

Titanic remains to be the most attended film ever in Brazil (17.7m admissions). The biggest films today are making around 10 million (both Avengers or Furious 7). So yes, Titanic was enormous independently of ER. You have to take into account that even considering the ER, prices have risen a lot since 1998.

And I would not say Europe was selling much more admissions in 1998 than now. Germany sold 149m admissions in 1998 and 139 last year. Yes, there is a difference, but not so big. And on the other side, in France were sold 170m in 1998 and 192m last year.

It´s impossible to take merits out to Titanic. 

It beat records od admissions almost in every country in the world.... actually is still in top 10, even 3 in almost everywhere, was a phenomenon that really seldom happen and my question is, do you think we will see somethhing like Titanic or Star Wars ANH ever?

Movies with unbelievable legs, that stand in numeber 1 for months... will happen this again?

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/06/28/star-wars-the-force-alluded-to

Film Critic Hulk weighs in on Episode VII:

TO HULK, IT JUST MAKES YOU REALIZE A KEY DIFFERENCE: THE PREQUELS WERE TERRIBLY DIRECTED MOVIES, FLAT AND LIFELESS, CLUNKY BEYOND BELIEF... BUT THEY AT LEAST HAD SOME KIND OF WEIRD FUNCTIONAL FOUNDATION THAT MADE SENSE. MEANWHILE, THE FORCE AWAKENS IS "GOOD DIRECTION," BUT ON A STORY FUNCTION LEVEL, IT'S AS TONE DEAF TO HULK AS "NOW, THIS IS POD RACING!"