kayumanggi

STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS | 1131.6 M overseas | 2068.2 M worldwide

1 hour ago, peludo said:

But what was the 3D ratio for Avatar and which is for Star Wars? In last 6 years prices have risen, sure. But Avatar was mainly seen in 3D, what meant a huge difference. I can give you an example: in Spain the average ticket price for Avatar was €8.10 (77 million euros and 9.5 million admissions). 6 years later, the average ticket price of Star Wars is, for the moment, €7.19. With that average ticket price, Avatar would had grossed today €68 million, what means $74.45m (1€=1.09$), not the $110m (1€=1.43$) that it really did. $36m gap just in Spain...

Average ticket price in Germany:

TFA €11.85

Btw, AUS dollar and Yen have not lost close to 50% of their value, more like 20 - 30%. (AUS$1 = $0.72 2015 vs $0.9 2009, yen 1 = $0.0082 2015 vs 0.0110 2009)

41 minutes ago, Elessar said:

TFA €11.85

Btw, AUS dollar and Yen have not lost close to 50% of their value, more like 20 - 30%. (AUS$1 = $0.72 2015 vs $0.9 2009, yen 1 = $0.0082 2015 vs 0.0110 2009)

Or even more impressive:

Russia:

Av. Ticket for Avatar: ~170m Rbl (Around $2,40)

Av. Ticket for SW Ep 1: ~330 Rbl (Around $4,70)

• Like 1

That 30% loss in Japan is pretty big though. Avatar made $188m, but in today's dollar that would be around $129m. That's a huge $59m gap. I even think the average ticket price for Avatar was still bigger than SW7's thanks to 3D.

Anyway, I'm curious about the OW in Indonesia. The Numbers says $2.8m, but that's so much lower than I estimated. It had the biggest release ever (some theaters used all of their screens for SW7), and sold out shows everywhere. It's so hard to get the tickets. So I thought it could get at least $6m OW. I mean, the hype is HUGE, bigger than AoU and that movie got $6.5m OW. I don't get it.

A hell lot of smaller matkets expanded in USD since Avatar. The market here is 3x bigger and Eastern Europe in general is like that. And Latin America, despite the ER, also expanded in USD. As for the ticket price, it also grew, almost doubling in the last couple of years here.

Anyway, it really doesnt matter. SW will do what it will do. I dont get the Avatar comparison OS, except for Aus and UK. Like, it will make half of Avatar did. It's smaller than some other franchises today.

The DOM/OS ration will be around 47/53

Trimis de pe al meu SM-J100H folosind Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Elessar said:

TFA €11.85

You are right with drop in Australian and Japanese currencies exchange rates. My memory starts to fail.

But concerning average ticket price I still have to point that asuming inflation (I already did that in my previous post), the average ticket price in dollars is today lower than in 2009. Dollar-Euro relation was about 0.69 in 2009 and 0.92 today. So, we would have in Germany:

TFA: €11.85 = $12.84

What I meant is that inflation does not compensate the ER drop and it is still needed to sell more tickets to make the same dollar figure, that at the end is the figure we care for OS numbers.

7 hours ago, Poseidon said:

Or even more impressive:

Russia:

Av. Ticket for Avatar: ~170m Rbl (Around $2,40)

Av. Ticket for SW Ep 1: ~330 Rbl (Around $4,70)

Dollar-Ruble in December 2009: 29.9485

Dollar-Ruble in December 2015: 70.9932

Avatar: 170 Rbl = $5.67, not $2.40. You are using the today ER, but Avatar grossed more than $100 million with 2009 dollars, not with today dollars.

TFA: 330 Rbl = $4.70, as you well said.

Again, the same effect. Huge inflation is not enough to compensate the drop in ER.

Local currencies have had positive inflation in most countries for sure in last 6 years, but the average ticket price in dollars have dropped in many cases.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, townzy89 said:

yeah it is

I don't care what one website says. They know nothing if they think so. A lot of us old timers here know alot more about BO than most "experts" out there..

Trust me. 150 mill $ OW(2 days) is close to impossible and have 0,00000000000000000000000000001% chance of happening. Maybe less..

At this point 50 mill OW in China would be incredible enough. And that number could also be to high

• Like 5

1 hour ago, peludo said:

You are right with drop in Australian and Japanese currencies exchange rates. My memory starts to fail.

But concerning average ticket price I still have to point that asuming inflation (I already did that in my previous post), the average ticket price in dollars is today lower than in 2009. Dollar-Euro relation was about 0.69 in 2009 and 0.92 today. So, we would have in Germany:

TFA: €11.85 = $12.84

What I meant is that inflation does not compensate the ER drop and it is still needed to sell more tickets to make the same dollar figure, that at the end is the figure we care for OS numbers.

Dollar-Ruble in December 2009: 29.9485

Dollar-Ruble in December 2015: 70.9932

Avatar: 170 Rbl = $5.67, not $2.40. You are using the today ER, but Avatar grossed more than $100 million with 2009 dollars, not with today dollars.

TFA: 330 Rbl = $4.70, as you well said.

Again, the same effect. Huge inflation is not enough to compensate the drop in ER.

Local currencies have had positive inflation in most countries for sure in last 6 years, but the average ticket price in dollars have dropped in many cases.

I was using todays currencie ($) for a reason.

Next stop in the discussion should have been admissions. The only true proof for success imo.

So yeah, it does not compensate  in $, but when all is said and done, we'll have a giant second or 3rd place overseas, but it's paling compared to the domestic performance.

1 hour ago, peludo said:

Sure, but in many cases it's not as severe as some like to make it out to be. China alone could make up for that.

1 minute ago, Elessar said:

Sure, but in many cases it's not as severe as some like to make it out to be. China alone could make up for that.

Well, that is another matter. What would had done today Avatar in China? Who knows. Maybe more than in US. But that is BO-fiction.

1 hour ago, fmpro said:

I don't care what one website says. They know nothing if they think so. A lot of us old timers here know alot more about BO than most "experts" out there..

Trust me. 150 mill $ OW(2 days) is close to impossible and have 0,00000000000000000000000000001% chance of happening. Maybe less..

At this point 50 mill OW in China would be incredible enough. And that number could also be to high

ya, especially given that SW7 unperformed in taiwan, hongkong ,malaysia and SK

• Like 1

OS weekend was underestimated...

TFA WKND 1: $281m
TFA MON: $41.7m
TFA TUE: $41.3m
TFA WED: $38.4m
TFA WKND 2: $136.9m (-51%)
-----------------------
TFA TOTAL: $550.3m

DH2 WKND 1: $313.5m
DH2 MON: $41m
DH2 TUE: $35m
DH2 WED: $35m
DH2 WKND 2: $120.2m (-62%)
-----------------------
DH2 TOTAL: $559m

• Like 1

On 9/5/2015 at 1:33 AM, James said:

Imma take the bet but in the bet thread with name change as a prize. I'm a student Baumer and I still have to wait 2-3 more years till I become a millionaire. :P

For the record, I'll have your name change figured out very soon.  You will keep this name for two weeks.  And when you do become a millionaire, you can throw me $50.00 :)

• Like 2