kayumanggi

STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS | 1131.6 M overseas | 2068.2 M worldwide

I dont think that TFA will surpass the worldwide opening of Jurassic World, considering that China is not opening that weekend. 615 million opening look way Out of reach. But i can see decent legs, i believe that this can make 725 million in US and if Breaks Out in China, maybe 1,100 million overseas.

• Like 1

While this will easily outgross the prequels and most other movies this year OS, I think some of these predictions are getting out of hand. Keep in mind that the main driving forces of most of these new mega grossers are China and the new markets, who don't particularly care for the old cast, so while that's a large selling point DOM, it's almost a non factor OS. I think some markets will overperform, but I think in most markets, it'll simply gross reasonably well.

My prediction for the longest time has been 750 OS, and I'm gonna stick with that. Add in 550 DOM for a total of 1.3B WW. However, I could see the gross (mostly DOM) be about 100M higher, so it might be a close battle between this and AOU WW.

• Like 1

Does anyone wanna take a bet? I'm pretty sure this will end up under 1.3B WW. Also, 300M dom OW? Ok, Deadline. As for the 315m OW OS, why? None of the SW movies even managed to make 500m in their entire runs without a 3D rerelease. Why is everyone ready to bet this will increase by 100% or more OS. Even Jurassic World couldn't make it and the original JP made more OS than any of the SW movies.

• Like 1

Does anyone wanna take a bet? I'm pretty sure this will end up under 1.3B WW. Also, 300M dom OW? Ok, Deadline. As for the 315m OW OS, why? None of the SW movies even managed to make 500m in their entire runs without a 3D rerelease. Why is everyone ready to bet this will increase by 100% or more OS. Even Jurassic World couldn't make it and the original JP made more OS than any of the SW movies.

Adjusted for inflation, every single OT Star Wars movie made more than JP on the domestic market. A lot of people associate the new film mostly with the 70s/80s ones, so a huge opening (200m +), even in december, is definitely possible. Everyone and their grandmom will set out to storm the theatres.

• Like 1

Adjusted for inflation, every single OT Star Wars movie made more than JP on the domestic market. A lot of people associate the new film mostly with the 70s/80s ones, so a huge opening (200m +), even in december, is definitely possible. Everyone and their grandmom will set out to storm the theatres.

Yeah, but between 200m OW and 300m OW there is a huge difference.

Just in case you haven't seen this....deadline has gone full loonie   http://deadline.com/2015/08/star-wars-the-force-awakens-box-office-global-record-predictions-1201505170/
300m domestic OW???? That is putting a new meaning to full loon. Seriously I'd be talking about 3B at box office worldwide (1b stateside) if SW manages 600m ow just before Christmas. Realistically I'm thinking. 420m ow (160m stateside) heading for about 2b. (700m domestic)
  • Like 2

If it makes a 220M OW in december 700M is probably locked :D

220 OW would give this a chance for billion. And beating Avatar would be locked. IMO, this will open to about 160. It will beat the 2nd and 3rd weekend record and it should reach 600 with relative ease. I think Titanic would be toast and the target could be 700. If the film is as good as original trilogy, I do not know where it can land. Sky would be the limit.

What kind of bet are we talking about?  If you are talking money, then I'm down.  I'll be you $50.00 (your currency if you lose, my currency if I lose) that SW will make at least 1.4 billion.  You say it will make less than 1.3 billion.  Anything in between those numbers and we call it a draw.

You in?

• Like 2

Under 1.3 billion!!!!!!!!!! No Freaking way.... The minimum for this film is 1.4 billion, and im being generous. I don´t understand that point of Star Wars not making a lot of money overseas just because the prequels didn´t.

It´s absurd, it seems that you everybody is forgetting that impressive jump from Batman Begins to The Dark Knight, that jump from Fast and Furious 6 to Furious 7, Quantum of Solace to Skyfall, Jurassic Park III to Jurassic World, Iron Man 2 to Iron Man 3, etc..... The Prequels never surpassing the 500 million overseas doesn´t mean s.... .

The Force Awakens feels so big because is a sequel from a film of 1983, the enourmous hype is here, im very certain that this film can achieve the #2 spot worldwide and #4 overseas like The Phantom Menace did in 1999. 

• Like 2