LexJoker

Weekend Numbers Jan 23-25 pg 46(AS 64 mill, Mom's cookies 15)

I was expecting a $55-60 million 4 day with a $180-185 million DOM total after buzz started to build up in December, so to possibly triple that figures just astounds me. This is easily more shocking than Blind Side, since that was expected to do $125-150 million if it got Oscar buzz. This was expected by most to do Lone Survivor or Gran Torino numbers.

BoxOffice.com predicted a $105 million finish a week before release :lol:

It did what the site predicted it to do total over a 4 day opening weekend... Wow.

• Like 1

American Sniper does not deserve all the money its getting, it was not that good a film

Thats good, but please take this discussion elsewhere. Most movies ala 80% IMO dont deserve what they make, but what can you do? Just enjoy this historic run, sheesh.

• Like 4

Because AS exists in the void dimension between 2014 and 2015 simultaneously being a part of both it is in fact spanking two Katniss' at the same time

Maybe Coop sent those numbers through the Tesseract to kick Katniss ass but instead of Interstellar, it got to AS.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

Lol as if snow has had a major impact on movies before? Most often, snow or cold temperatures don't have much of an impact on box office grosses.

Its legs aren't imploding because of Jack Frost  :lol: $425-450 million minimum. 

From a $75 million weekend off a $22 million Friday

$54 million 3rd weekend ($292 million)

$43 million 4th weekend ($357 million)

$41.5 million/$54 million 4 day - 5th weekend ($431 million)

$32 million - 6th weekend ($474 million)

$25 million - 7th weekend ($511 million)

$18 million - 8th weekend ($540 million)

$13.5 million - 9th weekend ($562 million)

$12 million - 10th weekend ($582 million)

$10.5 million - 11th weekend ($599 million)

$7.5 million - 12th weekend ($611 million)

$6.5 million - 13th weekend ($621 million)

$5 million - 14th weekend ($628 million)

$4 million - 15th weekend ($634 million)

$2.5 million - 16th weekend ($638 million) 

$2 million - 17th weekend ($641 million)

$647 million DOM total

I'm going Forrest Gump just like baumer lol.

damn it, ran out of likes

• Like 3

The reason I think AS could make a run at Titanic is that I've always said that when the next box office giant comes, we won't see it coming.  Sure Avatar and Avengers were going to be big but no one really thought they would be as big as they are.  It was obviously the same with Titanic.  Now with AS, if this 20 mill Friday is true, even if it goes up by only 50% S aturday, it'll come close to 70 mill for the second weekend.  How many films have a 70 million second weekend?  Seven films.  But the big difference this time is that AS is behaving irrationally.  If it hit's 70 mill, that's about a 22% drop coming off an inflated holiday weekend.  There's no 3D and the movie has been on line for about two weeks already.  It's going to be close to 200 mill by the end of the weekend.  So what's to stop it from taking a run at some truly giant numbers domestically?  

I think this could end up being similar to Forrest Gump in terms of adjust dollars.  Gump made 650 adjusted.  Gump's drops were truly ridiculous and Sniper won't come close to dropping 1% and 9% and 17% in it's first three weeks, but to drop by less than 25% in this day and age after it opened to 90 mill, is pretty special.  

I think in years to come, just like with Titanic, people will say one of the reasons this did so well is because of no competition.  But just like Titanic, this film is making the other films become insignificant.  

I'm not one to jump the gun when it comes to lofty projections.  I always use the Pulp Fiction phrase let's not start suckin each other's just yet.  Well, I think right now, I'm ready to start sucking Wolf, Jules and Vincent off all at the same time.  Sniper looks poised to reach some really lofty numbers.  300 is  foregone conclusion and 400 is done as well......if it really does hit 70 this weekend then that means it will probably fall softly next weekend even with Super Bowl and then with Valentine's Day/ Friday the 13th coming up, it will be a big player that weekend as well, even with 50SOG coming out.  

I'm not saying beating Titanic is a definite but if the 70 number is true, it has a real shot.  

filmnerdjamie....this was post from a couple of pages ago.

• Like 3

Mortdecai like Blackhat shows that there's really only a handful(or maybe a dozen) of stars in Hollywood these days. That audience will show up no matter what the movie is. Over the last year and half we've seen Johnny Depp, Chris Hemsworth, Brad Pitt, Russell Crowe, Colin Farrell, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, Harrison Ford, Christian Bale and many others completely bomb out at the box office. That said I think if you put any of those actors in the right movie. Well they would have box office success again. It just goes to show that audiences will only go pay to see movies they really want to see and ones with a strong marketing campaign behind it.

Edited by gb0708
  • Like 1

Thats good, but please take this discussion elsewhere. Most movies ala 80% IMO dont deserve what they make, but what can you do? Just enjoy this historic run, sheesh.

I just can't believe all the crybabies over this. There are movies that disliked/disappointed in or I found overrated, but I never gave a shit if the movie was making bank at the BO or not. I only get peeved when critics go gaga over a movie that I find to be a turd.

• Like 2