LexJoker

Weekend Numbers Jan 23-25 pg 46(AS 64 mill, Mom's cookies 15)

Just can't get excited for AS's number. Movie just isn't that good. Whatever.

But this isn't about whether the movie is good or not, it's pretty cool seeing a film do this well.

• Like 3

Cooper was spectacular in Pines. I loved him in Silver Linings Playbook, but Pines is the movie that convinced me he wasn't a fluke. I had some problems with the movie, but generally, Cooper crushed it. He also elevates AS, politics aside, from a good war film into a great watch by sheer force of charisma and availability. 

Dude's the new king of Hollywood. Sorry Tatum- B Coops is the successor to Leo's crown.

• Like 2

And who on this Earth would make those movies successful?  

That's the point, some of these movies are just doomed and have no chance at the box office in this day and age. No actors would make movies like Killing Them Softly, Counselor, Blackhat, Mortdecai, Last Stand, Sabotage, Bullet to the Head, Out of the Furnace, Dead Man Down, Winters Tale, Man with a Iron Fist or Paranoia box office hits. Movies are what sell not the stars in them.

Edited by gb0708
  • Like 1

baumer, American Sniper really has no competition.

What movies has it had to make insignificant? Poorly received WIB2/Tak3n? None of the openers this week was ever amounting to much.

What's glorious though, irrespective of how good the film is, is that technically a January movie could be one of the highest grossing of all time. 

It has played its cards fantastically. Yeah, "it's a 2014 film", just so we can say it will win 2014, but really, it only went wide on MLK, giving the rest of the market 2 weeks to continue to drop. So it can hardly be considered in the company of Hobbit, Into the Woods or Unbroken. What it did was peak when those were winding down, so it literally jumped into the void and exploded. That's pretty cool.

Getting to $400m or even better at this time of year, with what it is and its rating is good for the industry. 

That's the point, some of these movies are just doomed and have no chance at the box office in this day and age. No actors would make movies like Killing Them Softly, Counselor, Blackhat, Mortdecai, Last Stand, Sabotage, Bullet to the Head, Out of the Furnace, Dead Man Down, Winters Tale, Man with a Iron Fist or Paranoia box office hits.

Mid 2000s Will Smith could. Seriously, that shit was freakish. In 2007 you could have told me a 2 hour film of Will Smith taking a dump made 100 million and I would have believed you. But otherwise, I agree with this sentiment. 

Not to mention, 2013 Will Smith did take a 2 hour dump on screen, and it flopped. 

• Like 4

baumer, American Sniper really has no competition.

What movies has it had to make insignificant? Poorly received WIB2/Tak3n? None of the openers this week was ever amounting to much.

What's glorious though, irrespective of how good the film is, is that technically a January movie could be one of the highest grossing of all time. 

It has played its cards fantastically. Yeah, "it's a 2014 film", just so we can say it will win 2014, but really, it only went wide on MLK, giving the rest of the market 2 weeks to continue to drop. So it can hardly be considered in the company of Hobbit, Into the Woods or Unbroken. What it did was peak when those were winding down, so it literally jumped into the void and exploded. That's pretty cool.

Getting to $400m or even better at this time of year, with what it is and its rating is good for the industry. 

Taken 3 easily could have been the film that made it do just okay.  If this film did what people thought it would before it blew up, it would have made about 70-100 mill.  But it's annihilating everything in its path.

I may not always agree with Noctis, but without his edgy abrasiveness, the board wouldn't be half as fun. Same goes for pretty much every "controversial" poster on here.

Except rainbowtrout. Fuck am I glad that dude got banned. What a racist prick.

Taken 3 easily could have been the film that made it do just okay.  If this film did what people thought it would before it blew up, it would have made about 70-100 mill.  But it's annihilating everything in its path.

No, I mean, that was my original prediction too. $85-125m. But, what I'm saying is, none of the films would be doing any better if AS was not blowing up.