LexJoker

Weekend Numbers Jan 23-25 pg 46(AS 64 mill, Mom's cookies 15)

Cooper was spectacular in Pines. I loved him in Silver Linings Playbook, but Pines is the movie that convinced me he wasn't a fluke. I had some problems with the movie, but generally, Cooper crushed it. He also elevates AS, politics aside, from a good war film into a great watch by sheer force of charisma and availability. 

Dude's the new king of Hollywood. Sorry Tatum- B Coops is the successor to Leo's crown.

Thank God for that. 

For the record, American Sniper s gross will count for 2015, by the same token, a large chunk of Star Wars The Force Awakens will count for 2016.

But it is a 2014 film.  So if it makes 400 mill, it will be the only film released in 2014 to do so.

• Like 4

.it wasn't quite a top 5 2014 movie for me because 2014 was so strong, which is why I'm gonna call it a 2015 movie.

I'm going to call it a top 2014 movie because 2014 movies sucked sucked overall.

For the record, American Sniper s gross will count for 2015, by the same token, a large chunk of Star Wars The Force Awakens will count for 2016.

Right but it's a 2014 movie.

• Like 1

I'm in Burger King right now and Fox News has been talking about "American Sniper: Patriotism Under FIRE" for about forty-five minutes lol

While I was working out today, CNN ran a hit-piece on the film and Chris Kyle. The only movie that matters to people (for good and bad) now is American Sniper.

• Like 2

But most of us will be referring to American Sniper's run as a 2015 one. 

Movies like Avatar, perhaps Star Wars, may be considered for both years since they might make an equal amount in both, but AS? That's not even a comparison.

It made like $1m in 2014.

Just like Lone Survivor and other expanded January flicks except this is really an extreme example.

I think people just want to say it is 2014 because they'd rather not the Hunger Games win 2 years in a row and don't give me that BS that it didn't beat GOTG in 2014. I don't care what wins the year, it's a desperate and pathetic argument. Reality is, THG made 95% of its gross in 2014 and we'd never refer to it as a 2015 movie. AS is gonna make 99% of its money in 2015. So, IDGAF if AS is a 2014 movie, it is, but that doesn't contradict the fact that when we talk about it in the future, no one's gonna bring up how well it did for 2014, because it didn't. If it did, at all, then the year wouldn't have fallen in gross and admissions. 

• Like 2

I am just stating a fact, don t know why you are talking to me about MJ1.

That s why January 1998 and January 2010 were inflated because duh Titanic and Avatar runs continued beyond December.

I am not disputing the fact that American Sniper is a 2014 movie, geez... I know AS is a 2014 movie.

But when totals will be announced in early 2016, the gross and tickets sold by AS will be accounted for 2015.

By the same logic, AS gross accounted for 2014 is 2 m.

Let s face it, AS bo run is lost in a black hole and he doesn t have a terrasact from the 5 d beings to make sense of it.

AS is a unique exemple. In 2014, the movie didn t even have a limited release, it was only in 4 theaters.

99,9% os AS gross will be made in 2015, can you name another movie that did that ?

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

Uh, for the record, this is indeed incorrect, since BOM has already got American Sniper climbing up the 2014 chart!

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2014&p=.htm

Both are correct, you guys are talking about two different things.  AS will fall on the 2014 charts, it's considered a 2014 film, however it's gross will be included in 2015's year-end calendar gross.  

• Like 2