CJohn

KINGSMAN: THE GOLDEN CIRCLE | Sep 22, 2017 | Trailer on page 15

5 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

So the films more dumb forgettable fun in a year where a lot of movies could be labeled that? Okay...don't know why critics are blaming the film for that.

Exactly. The first one was fun but mostly forgettable outside of the church scene. If this one is similar to that, then it should be fine. It'll likely fall to the same or lower RT rating. I guess when a movie unexpectedly breaks out, people tend to give it a greater credit than it deserves and hold the sequels to ridiculous expectations.

• Like 2

Just now, Deja23 said:

Exactly. The first one was fun but mostly forgettable outside of the church scene. If this one is similar to that, then it should be fine. It'll likely fall to the same or lower RT rating. I guess when a movie unexpectedly breaks out, people tend to give it a greater credit than it deserves and hold the sequels to ridiculous expectations.

The first was my personal favorite film of 2015 but I still know it's not a masterpiece. 

Just now, Deja23 said:

THIS. It's hard to top a previous movie which wasn't expected to be anything and pleasantly surprised all. GOTG , Kingsman, MIB, POTC...many flicks whose sequels just weren't all that even if they were technically speaking better. 

Just now, Rman823 said:

Seeing it opening night probably played a role in why it landed so well at mine. 

It was so strange. Everyone was having a good time laughing and shit, and then that joke at the end comes along and you could feel the energy in the room dying. I remember a silent shuffle out of the screening. A truly unnecessarily odd experience.

The first Kingsman holds up well and works for exactly what it is - a hard-R rated quasi-wish-fulfillment take on the 60's/70s's era Bond popping with energy and engaging performances (especially from Samuel L Jackson who gave his first real performance, outside of Tarantino's films, in... years). 

That's all well and good. But yeah nothing presented with The Golden Circle suggested anything besides the always-problematic "More of the same... JUST BIGGER!" And bringing back Firth is just so Goddamn lazy and yes takes away from any tension. Once you bring back a character from the dead... you fundamentally can't sell any more drama. Stakes are just nothing then. No matter what bullshit they cooked up to explain it away. 

I have no axe to grind with Vaughn (Seriously... it's always a good thing to separate the filmmaker from the human being). But he made some snide comments shit-talking Kick Ass 2 and even then I thought, "It would be wise to shut the Hell up, pal."  It's always telling when a filmmaker spends the press junket tour talking up another film. And what have we heard from Vaughn? How he's had chats about doing a Superman movie (That won't happen now that he's publicly blabbed private talks before any official confirmation from studio reps). 

Edited by filmnerdjamie
  • Like 3

Just now, Deja23 said:

Two of the consensus's I read blamed the movie for being like other movies this year. Like really?

"It's fun, but it's blockbuster overkill after an already-crowded summer season." - That's considered criticism? How is that the movies fault?

I think critics need to have a talk with the GA after mother last week.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

The first was my personal favorite film of 2015 but I still know it's not a masterpiece. 

I liked the first one as well. It was very engaging and fun! I'm expecting more of the same for the Golden Circle.

And the princess joke was unexpected I guess, but I didn't mind it and am fine with getting something similar for this movie. 

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Of Vaughn's movies, First Class is the one that had across the board positive reviews (I suppose Layer Cake teeters around there as well?), but he's never been quite a hit with the top critics especially. And I can see why.

While First Class overall did the best with 86%, Layer Cake did his best with top critics - 83%/7.2avg v FC: 69%/6.8 .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

He hates Fox for some reason...despite the fact that his name is marveldcFOX

Weird....I don't get how people can just hate a certain studio? There are so many different production companies, etc....like I get hating a franchise, but a whole studio?

Strange.

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

The two best movies of the year are Fox movies and A Cure for Wellness is pretty high up there too.  They get a free pass for the rest of the year as far as I'm concerned

War For The Planet of The Apes and?