CJohn

KINGSMAN: THE GOLDEN CIRCLE | Sep 22, 2017 | Trailer on page 15

13 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Shape of Water has no chance of winning best picture. 

Thanks for the information, but it has a strong chance at getting a best picture nomination, and it's already predicted as a frontrunner too. 

Plus if not that, then Three Billboards has a strong chance as well, especially since it won top prize at TIFF. It has been a great year for Fox Searchlight, was basically my point. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

There doesn't seem to be a clear cut front runner, but Dunkirk and Shape of Water both seem like the most likely possibilities as of now.

Dunkirk is currently considered one of the front-runner by a lot of pundits. I've been predicting it would win director for a while now, myself. 

5 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Dunkirk is currently considered one of the front-runner by a lot of pundits. I've been predicting it would win director for a while now, myself. 

I mean, it's a front runner right now, but I also don't expect it to win come Oscar time? Dunkirk and Shape of Water seem like movies that are absolutely contending, but at the same time, it doesn't feel like a La La Land, where when it screened, you knew it had a really good shot at winning regardless of whatever came out in the upcoming months

Edited by MrPink

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

I mean, it's a front runner right now, but I also don't expect it to win come Oscar time? Dunkirk and Shape of Water seem like movies that are absolutely contending, but at the same time, it doesn't feel like a La La Land, where when it screened, you knew it had a really good shot at winning regardless of whatever came out in the upcoming months

Dunkirk is pretty much in for a Best Picture nomination and unless the Academy decides they just want to troll the Internet and never nominate Nolan, he'll be up for Best Director too.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Dunkirk is pretty much in for a Best Picture nomination and unless the Academy decides they just want to troll the Internet and never nominate Nolan, he'll be up for Best Director too.

That I have no doubt of. I just don't think it's gonna win BP. Maybe Director.

4 minutes ago, MrPink said:

That I have no doubt of. I just don't think it's gonna win BP. Maybe Director.

I don't think it'll win best picture. Best director is possible, but it seems like it's actually a fairly competitive line-up in that particular category this year. So far there are no definite "absolutes" like last year to be sure. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

The Shape of Water is too genre for the Academy. A BP nomination? Sure. The win? GTFOH. And before anyone shoots back with Silence of the Lambs or Return of the King, those are the exceptions to the rule. Hell even after the blowback for The Dark Knight's perceived snub (when the real snub was, in fact, Wall-E), there still hasn't been a superhero film to get a nomination.

Edited by filmnerdjamie