CJohn

KINGSMAN: THE GOLDEN CIRCLE | Sep 22, 2017 | Trailer on page 15

1 hour ago, a2knet said:

Going by the reception wouldn't it be hilarious if this out-grosses War of Apes (54 ow/2.75x/148.5 dom...or something like that).

You think this movie will open with 54mil? I could see a 40mil opening but 54mil and better legs than Apes without summer weekdays? Seems far fetched.

15 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

You think this movie will open with 54mil? I could see a 40mil opening but 54mil and better legs than Apes without summer weekdays? Seems far fetched.

No, but if it did it would be funny. I wouldn't think it impossible to do 54m ow though.

Both Mojo and Deadline think that on the high-end 50 is possible even if they are predicting mid/high 40s. So closer to 55 though unlikely is not outside the realm of possibilities.

As to legs Apes had bad legs and only did 2.60x (when it reaches 146.5m). Even less than 2.66x of a 146.5 opener like GOTG2. Less than POTC5's 2.73x.

Kingsman1 did 3.54x and this one with sequelitis and lesser reception can still do 2.75-2.80x.

Look at THB, 39% on RT and 3.5x multi (once it reaches 75 dom). THB though is not a sequel but accounting for that, 2.75-2.80x still seems doable for Kingsman2.

With 2.75-2.80x multi it will need a 52.5-53.5 ow to get 147 dom, enough to beat War of Apes. Not very likely but has a realsitic shot I think...say 25-30%.

Edited by a2knet

Totally a sequel. Over the top, over long, dumb villain who can do everything....but a lot of fun. If you liked the first, you'll probably have a blast.

Reminded of a more fun version of Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 with all the music...so not sure why critics are trashing it but praised that. Was happy that they didn't film a lot of the fight scenes as fast as some from the first movie (it was easier to see what was going on for the most part).

Dunno why this wasn't released in August. Felt like it belonged in the Summer.

Definitely not the first, but should do really well with the GA

• Like 2

11 hours ago, wildphantom said:

It’s better than Kick Ass 2. 

Just not particularly good, by its own standards. 

Way better than Kick Ass 2. I was drunk when I saw that and still wanted to walk out. 

I thought it was about in line with the original (certainly in tone) but feels like a sequel. More of everything that audiences liked there. They could have cut one character arc out completely because the climax does get sort of exhausting but I was never bored or ready for it be over. 

A few surprises here and there that gave it more stakes....but other then that, completely over the top.

• Like 1

Hugely disappointing. Fun enough as it is though. Not expecting great legs here. This is MIB 2 to the MIB. It's also ridiculously, shamelessly overlong.

On a different note, this is the third movie I've seen in 2017 that prominently features John Denver's "Annie's Song" and the fifth movie that prominently features John Denver. Is there some inside joke within the industry? It's really uncanny. It's not as if it's a fresh hit. The other two films to feature Annie's Song are Okja and Free Fire.

Country Roads is prominently featured in Alien Covenant and Logan Lucky too. And, yeah, Kingsman 2 features that song prominently.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Hugely disappointing. Fun enough as it is though. Not expecting great legs here. This is MIB 2 to the MIB. It's also ridiculously, shamelessly overlong.

On a different note, this is the third movie I've seen in 2017 that prominently features John Denver's "Annie's Song" and the fifth movie that prominently features John Denver. Is there some inside joke within the industry? It's really uncanny. It's not as if it's a fresh hit. The other two films to feature Annie's Song are Okja and Free Fire.

Country Roads is prominently featured in Alien Covenant and Logan Lucky too. And, yeah, Kingsman 2 features that song prominently.

Just needed Channing Tatum to be in Alien Covenant and Katherine Waterston to be in Kingsman for max continuity

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, B D Joe said:

I always had a feeling a sequel to Kingsman wouldn't live up to the first in people's eyes.  I feel the same way about a Deadpool sequel.

Well, I mean, better writing and execution and feeling fresh would help. We've seen many excellent sequels to movies of this type. This didn't have to mirror MIB 2 - but with a running time 60 minutes longer - more than anything else.

34 minutes ago, B D Joe said:

I always had a feeling a sequel to Kingsman wouldn't live up to the first in people's eyes.  I feel the same way about a Deadpool sequel.

Same thing happened with MIB 2, Guardians 2, Avengers 2, Dark knight rises.

16 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Guardians 2, unlike those, made a fair amount more than first. Folks liked it... Some folks liked it a lot.

I'm sure some folks will like Kingsmen 2 a lot too and it  does not have to be better than the first. 

1 hour ago, B D Joe said:

Ya...anyone expecting Deadpool 2 to repeat the magic of Deadpool is setting themselves up for disappointment. I think even commercially I feel it will end up atleast 30M less than first one domestically. DP was a simple love story with outrageously cool shit. That's all. Now, they are going the bigger and better route by adding big characters to get to x-force....you know damn well critics will complain...now if it was a MARVEL studios film...they would have still rated it highly irrespective of the problems.

Btw DP2 is my most anticipated film of next summer. 

Edited by marveldcfox

5 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

And that song was a big part of the popular in the US Last Chance U season 2 on Netflix. (Maybe someone became more flexible in rights usages ?)

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hades said:

Same thing happened with MIB 2, Guardians 2, Avengers 2, Dark knight rises.

Only the critics were less excited about Guardians 2, the audience seemed to like it very much. Avengers 2 and Dark Knight Rises also had fairly good receptions but not as good as their predecessors of course.