Neo

2017 & Beyond Discussion Thread | Is 2017 (Summer) Bigger than 2016?

Looking at these next years, WB and Disney will continue their way on becoming the two biggest Hollywood studios by far.

Lionsgate really need to hit big with their Power Rangers movie or/and discover another YA franchise if they want to keep up.

Sony needs to get their shit together with Spidey, continue make Bond movies and focus on marketing well the Dan Brown book adaptations (Inferno and what comes after that).

Fox has a pretty nice future line-up: Ice Age (huuuuge OS), Apes, X-Men, Kung Fu Panda (and animation in general), Maze Runner, ID2.

Paramount... TF, MI, Turtles, Star Trek and Terminator if they manage to revive it.

And Universal is Ok-ish they have Despicable Me, Jurassic and FF. 

Universal has Legendary ... Warcraft and Monsters, Pacific Rim, Kong, Shades, Bourne to name some others. Sony has Bad Boys and Goosebumps.

• Like 1

Sony has no control over Bond and currently Spectre is their last film that they will distribute, MGM and the Brocollis may decide to change distributors for Bond 25 although I reckon Sony will fight tooth and nail to keep it

There's only one Dan Brown book featuring Robert Langdon that they could adapt which is The Lost Symbol and they had trouble with it when it was originally in decelopment

Sony has no control over Bond and currently Spectre is their last film that they will distribute, MGM and the Brocollis may decide to change distributors for Bond 25 although I reckon Sony will fight tooth and nail to keep it

There's only one Dan Brown book featuring Robert Langdon that they could adapt which is The Lost Symbol and they had trouble with it when it was originally in decelopment

Brown is currently working on a new Langdon book.

Could adapt a movie from scratch wouldn't be the first time.

2017 movies I'm at least vaguely interested in:

LEGO Batman

Captain Underpants

Skull Island

Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Episode VIII

Planet of the Apes 9

Pacific Rim 2

The Jungle Book: Origins

• Like 2

2017 movies I'm at least vaguely interested in:

LEGO Batman

Captain Underpants

Skull Island

Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Episode VIII

Planet of the Apes 9

Pacific Rim 2

The Jungle Book: Origins

I think I did a list in the POTC 5, my list was similar to yours, just add POTC, Maze Runner 3 and Grinch (my second most anticipated film of the year) there.

March-August 2017

1. Star Wars Episode VIII: $550 million 
  2. Guardians of the Galaxy 2: $425 million 
  3. Toy Story 4: $345 million 
  4. Despicable Me 3: $310 million 
  5. Furious 8: $305 million 
  6. Untitled MCU Spidey: $280 million 
  7. B&TB: $270 million 
  8. War of the Planet of the Apes: $245 million 
  9. Kong - Skull Island: $225 million 
  10. Untitled DC Film: $220 million 
  11. POTC 5: $185 million 
  12. Wolverine 3: $145 million 
  13. Allegiant Part 2: $130 million 
  14. Ferdinand: $125 million 
  15. Untitled Fox animated: $120 million 
  16. The Mummy: $115 million 
  17. The Fantastic Four 2: $105 million
  18. Terminator 2: $100 million
  19. Ghost in the Shell: $90 million 
  20. Pacific Rim 2: $80 million 
  21. Captain Underpants: $75 million 
  22. Untitled Smurfs: $70 million 

Realistically, 2016 is stronger than 2017 right now, in terms of mid-level hits. 

Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 1