Neo

2017 & Beyond Discussion Thread | Is 2017 (Summer) Bigger than 2016?

8 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Honestly won't shock me if BatB and Lego Batman were to claim the #2 and 3 spots for the year, beaten only by Ep 8 of course. Next summer is incredibly weak for potential mega hits. GotG 2 has every reason to go the way of most big CBM breakouts and decrease with the second installment. Probably just eeks by 300. 

Based on the incredibly positive reactions the footage got at Comic-Con, I don't really see GotG 2 decreasing from the first. As long as it doesn't decrease in quality (and on that front I have faith in James Gunn), I think it's gonna be huge. GotG was a breakout surprise that many didn't see coming - I don't think it maxed its potential audience during the theatrical release. All those people who found it  later are gonna be there for GotG 2.

I do think BatB is gonna be huge and might go above GotG 2, just based on the power of Nostalgia and how loved the animated movie is, but Lego Batman I don't see doing much more then Lego Movie did. It doesn't seem nearly as inventive and Fresh.

Edited by JennaJ

My yearly top 10 prediction atm:

1. Episode VIII - $775m

2. Spider-Man Homecoming - $415m

3. Beauty and the Beast - $400m

4. The LEGO Batman Movie - $375m

5. Despicable Me 3 - $345m

6. Fast 8 - $310m

7. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - $305m

8. Coco - $300m

9. Wonder Woman - $300m

10. Justice League - $275m

Would love to throw Uncharted in there as the big breakout of the year, but past video game adaptations make that pretty hard to put confidence in. Still, it has by far the most blockbuster potential of any video game adaptation ever if done right. 

Like Uncharted is going to happen :lol: I think you're being generous on F8's drop from 7.

1 hour ago, JennaJ said:

Based on the incredibly positive reactions the footage got at Comic-Con, I don't really see GotG 2 decreasing from the first. As long as it doesn't decrease in quality (and on that front I have faith in James Gunn), I think it's gonna be huge. GotG was a breakout surprise that many didn't see coming - I don't think it maxed its potential audience during the theatrical release. All those people who found it  later are gonna be there for GotG 2.

I do think BatB is gonna be huge and might go above GotG 2, just based on the power of Nostalgia and how loved the animated movie is, but Lego Batman I don't see doing much more then Lego Movie did. It doesn't seem nearly as inventive and Fresh.

I predict 350m for Guardians 2 only on the strength of Baby Groot alone.

Edited by The Futurist

My yearly top 10 prediction atm:

1. Episode VIII - $775m

2. Spider-Man Homecoming - $415m

3. Beauty and the Beast - $400m

4. The LEGO Batman Movie - $375m

5. Despicable Me 3 - $345m

6. Fast 8 - $310m

7. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - $305m

8. Coco - $300m

9. Wonder Woman - $300m

10. Justice League - $275m

Would love to throw Uncharted in there as the big breakout of the year, but past video game adaptations make that pretty hard to put confidence in. Still, it has by far the most blockbuster potential of any video game adaptation ever if done right. 

Both BatB and Lego are overpredicted, IMO. I am predicting half of those grosses. Next year we will see more 200M grossers and less 300M grossers.

Episode 8 - 750M

Spiderman - 390M

DM3 - 350M

Coco - 330M

Guardians - 310M

Fast8 - 280M

JL - 270M

Dunkirk - 260M

Wonder Woman - 250M

Thor 3 - 250M

Other almost sure 200M grossers: BatB, WWZ2, TF5, Alien, Pirates5, Kong, Cars3, Croods2

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, stripe said:

Both BatB and Lego are overpredicted, IMO. I am predicting half of those grosses. Next year we will see more 200M grossers and less 300M grossers.

Episode 8 - 750M

Spiderman - 390M

DM3 - 350M

Coco - 330M

Guardians - 310M

Fast8 - 280M

JL - 270M

Dunkirk - 260M

Wonder Woman - 250M

Thor 3 - 250M

Other almost sure 200M grossers: BatB, WWZ2, TF5, Alien, Pirates5, Kong, Cars3, Croods2

I don't see any reason why Beauty and the Beast should do less than The Jungle Book.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

I don't see any reason why Beauty and the Beast should do less than The Jungle Book.

TJB was an exception. Huge spectacle, unmissable at cinemas, visually engaging and appealing to all genders and ages.

Not the same for TBatB. Expecting numbers more in line with Cinderella, Maleficient or Oz.

Also, I wouldn't call a lot of those films sure bets for over 200 mil. Certainly not Cars, Croods, or WWZ. Dunkirk is possible but it needs to fire on absolutely all cylinders. And an original Pixar is likely but not a guarantee anymore. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Also, I wouldn't call a lot of those films sure bets for over 200 mil. Certainly not Cars, Croods, or WWZ. Dunkirk is possible but it needs to fire on absolutely all cylinders. And an original Pixar is likely but not a guarantee anymore. 

Because of the Good Dinosaur?

I think that's a rare exception, Inside out did 356M facing Jurassic World and Minions, and Inside out is often described to be less than "entertaining", I was actually surprised at its strength in box office both domestically and worldwide.

Alright, looking at these lists and seeing some movies I honestly forgotten about, 2017 will be A LOT bigger than 2016.

In addition to Episode VIII, Guardians Vol. 2, Spider-man Homecoming, Wonder Woman, Justice League, Fast 8, Beauty and the Beast, LEGO Batman, Despicable Me 3 and Transformers 5 there's stuff like Kong, Ghost in the Shell, Pirates 5, World War Zzz, The Mummy, Cars 3, Coco, War of the Planet of the Apes, Thor 3, Blade Runner, Alien: Covenant, Dunkirk, Jumanji, Kingsman 2, Bad Boy 3 and Pitch Perfect 3. Yeah... It's gonna be MUCH bigger.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Alright, looking at these lists and seeing some movies I honestly forgotten about, 2017 will be A LOT bigger than 2016.

In addition to Episode VIII, Guardians Vol. 2, Spider-man Homecoming, Wonder Woman, Justice League, Fast 8, Beauty and the Beast, LEGO Batman, Despicable Me 3 and Transformers 5 there's stuff like Kong, Ghost in the Shell, Pirates 5, World War Zzz, The Mummy, Cars 3, Coco, War of the Planet of the Apes, Thor 3, Blade Runner, Alien: Covenant, Dunkirk, Jumanji, Kingsman 2, Bad Boy 3 and Pitch Perfect 3. Yeah... It's gonna be MUCH bigger.

Yup, that's what I've been saying.

20 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Well, there'll certainly be some epic bombs in there.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

A few of those films won't make their release dates and Im sure a few will bomb. So it doesn't look that huge.

1 minute ago, babz06 said:

A few of those films won't make their release dates and Im sure a few will bomb. So it doesn't look that huge.

Which of the films mentioned above do you think will fail?

33 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

It may be wise to read this new Variety article about this summer's box office, because I can see the same type of box office results continuing on into 2017.  Also, it's easy for us to guess what will be the top movies of 2017 will be.  How about predicting the flops of 2017 instead?  Which ones will be the equivalent of "Alice Through the Looking Glass" or "TMNT: Out of the Shadows?"  That sounds like more of a challenge, and could be a better way to determine how well the 2017 box office will be, than just everyone here saying "Number 1: Star Wars Episode VIII" all the time.

13 minutes ago, Outrageous! said:

It may be wise to read this new Variety article about this summer's box office, because I can see the same type of box office results continuing on into 2017.  Also, it's easy for us to guess what will be the top movies of 2017 will be.  How about predicting the flops of 2017 instead?  Which ones will be the equivalent of "Alice Through the Looking Glass" or "TMNT: Out of the Shadows?"  That sounds like more of a challenge, and could be a better way to determine how well the 2017 box office will be, than just everyone here saying "Number 1: Star Wars Episode VIII" all the time.

OK, I'll give it a go.

Predicted underperformers (compared to budget, domestically):

Transformers 5

Pirates 5

Cars 3

Bad Boys 3

Middling/less than previous installment:

Justice League (assuming there's no vast improvement compared to BvS)

Despicable Me 3

War of the Planet of the Apes

Alien:Covenant

Pitch Perfect 3

Fast 8

World war Z 2

Edited by JennaJ