Neo

2017 & Beyond Discussion Thread | Is 2017 (Summer) Bigger than 2016?

BvS - $440 million 

Suicide Squad - $205 million 

Wonder Woman - $210 million 

Justice League Part 1 - $325 million 

Justice League is also beating split into two parts. HP, Twilight, HG and others have seen declines with their part ones. JL should be no different - especially since DC's non-Batman output is mediocre. 

Difference is those came of a series of 2+ movies while JL1 is a straight 2 parter. So based on this JL should decline from WW?

• Like 1

Man of Steel was able to make 290 with quite mixed critics. Unless BvS, Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman films are absolute shit, Justice League will make more than 350 for sure.

That's exactly my point.  Read my previous post.  It's not a lock because BvS, SS, and WW could underperform and leave sour grapes WOM-wise by the time JL comes around.  I think that's a real possibility.  Likely to happen? Who knows.

BvS - $440 million 

Suicide Squad - $205 million 

Wonder Woman - $210 million 

Justice League Part 1 - $325 million 

Justice League is also beating split into two parts. HP, Twilight, HG and others have seen declines with their part ones. JL should be no different - especially since DC's non-Batman output is mediocre. 

For now...

I would not be surprised if someone gets the bright idea to make JL Part 1 and Part 2.  I hope it doesn't happen...

Edit:  Wow.  I should have read more closely because I did not realize Justice League was already a Part 1.   :rolleyes:

Edited by lilmac
  • Like 1

Not really. I honestly can't see how you'd think 2016 is locked for Disney to win.

Disney's 2016 contenders to win the year:

Captain America 3: Civil War - Cap vs. Iron Man in what will likely be Avengers 2.5. 

Finding Dory - the long-awaited sequel to a movie that held the record for all-time animated champ for seven years. 

Moana - The first installment in the Disney Princess line since the biggest animated hit of all time. Already building a ton of buzz. 

Untitled Star Wars Spin-Off - Really depends on what it is, but if it's a recognizable character, could easily do 450M coming off a gigantic Episode VII. 

Alice in Wonderland II - Good trailers could get this to 350M easily, putting it in the thick of things. 

Other 2016 contenders:

Batman vs. Superman - a heavyweight, but coming off a massively divisive last installment in the series. Possible. 

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - Likely a huge hit, but I can't see it being bigger than the biggest Harry Potter, and that's unlikely. 

Avatar II - I am skeptical that we will be seeing this one any time soon. If it makes 2016, it's a contender - but the novelty could also wear off and give it a gross in the 350 range. 

Independence Day 2 - In my dreams, this will be a gigantic hit, but I worry that too long has passed. 

I don't give anything else out this year much chance to win. Looking at the 5 Disney contenders vs. the four non-Disney contenders, I would give 75% odds that it's one of the Disney films that wins the year. 

• Like 1

2014 won't belong to MJI, nor will 2015. Not another out-of-nowhere hit like Avatar, but Avatar 2, etc. 2017 has JL, WB could take the year.

Say what?!

But yeah, I think Fox and WB still have a shot at winning some of the upcoming years.

• Like 1

Disney's 2016 contenders to win the year:

Captain America 3: Civil War - Cap vs. Iron Man in what will likely be Avengers 2.5. 

Finding Dory - the long-awaited sequel to a movie that held the record for all-time animated champ for seven years. 

Moana - The first installment in the Disney Princess line since the biggest animated hit of all time. Already building a ton of buzz. 

Untitled Star Wars Spin-Off - Really depends on what it is, but if it's a recognizable character, could easily do 450M coming off a gigantic Episode VII. 

Alice in Wonderland II - Good trailers could get this to 350M easily, putting it in the thick of things. 

Agree with all except AIW2. AIW had help from being post-Avatar and with a different director, 220M-250M would be a huge success. Still likely going to do 600M+ OS though.

Other 2016 contenders:

Batman vs. Superman - a heavyweight, but coming off a massively divisive last installment in the series. Possible. 

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - Likely a huge hit, but I can't see it being bigger than the biggest Harry Potter, and that's unlikely. 

Avatar II - I am skeptical that we will be seeing this one any time soon. If it makes 2016, it's a contender - but the novelty could also wear off and give it a gross in the 350 range. Bet?

Independence Day 2 - In my dreams, this will be a gigantic hit, but I worry that too long has passed. 

I don't give anything else out this year much chance to win. Looking at the 5 Disney contenders vs. the four non-Disney contenders, I would give 75% odds that it's one of the Disney films that wins the year. 

Captain America 3: Civil War

Finding Dory

Moana

Untitled Star Wars Spin-Off

Alice in Wonderland II

Batman vs. Superman

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Independence Day 2

Would count out anything under 400M, that means AIW2 is out. ID4-2 would need Smith back to be in contention so thats out. Avatar 2 wins if its for 2016 if not its out, lets say its out. It will be a 2 way race between CW and BVS with Beasts, Moana, Star Wars and Dory looking at 280M-400M+

• Like 1

Only if we are just comparing those two. But if we are talking about which studio will win the year WW, it is either going to be Paramount or WB for Tranformers or BOFA.

I was talking about the movies.

SONY's 2017 Lineup

Cleopatra

SPIDERMAN

DJANGO zorro 

Bond

Ghostbusters

Jump street 

Monkeys

Girl team up

Bond and MIB/Jump Street, if it comes to be, will be the biggest hit here. Ghostbusters could do very well, or it could do "The Heat" numbers if the original fans don't show up. 

Besides Bond, nothing here will likely be in the year's top ten, though. And that's if Bond doesn't lose buzz after SPECTRE. 

I also doubt there'll be any Sony Spider-man movie in 2017 or ever again. 

Edited by Ray G

Finding Dory should win 2016 unless Avatar 2 is actually released on schedule.

I think that, Civil War, and a Han Solo film if that's what it turns out to be are all but locked for 400M. 

BvS could easily get there, unless it has Man of Steel-like legs. 

Out of them, I would place my bets on Civil War, though. 

I think that, Civil War, and a Han Solo film if that's what it turns out to be are all but locked for 400M.

BvS could easily get there, unless it has Man of Steel-like legs.

Out of them, I would place my bets on Civil War, though.

My bet is on BvS for 2016. Finding Dory and CW probably won't be far behind though. I'm not sure I see a Star Wars spinoff making over $400m yet though. I would need more info. I'm not sold on these spin offs yet.

• Like 1