Neo

2017 & Beyond Discussion Thread | Is 2017 (Summer) Bigger than 2016?

I think that, Civil War, and a Han Solo film if that's what it turns out to be are all but locked for 400M. 

BvS could easily get there, unless it has Man of Steel-like legs. 

Out of them, I would place my bets on Civil War, though.

Forgot about Civil War. It's between that and Dory I think. Both should cross 430M. I think Dory has more potential though so I'll keep my bet on Dory.

SONY's 2017 Lineup

Cleopatra

SPIDERMAN

DJANGO zorro 

Bond

Ghostbusters

Jump street 

Monkeys

Girl team up

Regarding "Jump Street," it sounds like Sony is considering 3D for "23 Jump Street" and rating the film PG-13.

WHAT THE FUCK

Forgot about Civil War. It's between that and Dory I think. Both should cross 430M. I think Dory has more potential though so I'll keep my bet on Dory.

I see Civil War doing around 300m and Finding Dory about the same.S

Sorry Ethan, but by the time Finding Dory comes out it'll have been 13 years since Finding Nemo has come out and I think a decrease will happen.

• Like 1

I see Civil War doing around 300m and Finding Dory about the same.S

Sorry Ethan, but by the time Finding Dory comes out it'll have been 13 years since Finding Nemo has come out and I think a decrease will happen.

Cap 3 would probably have done around $300m before it became Civil War and added RDJ and Black Panther.  I don't see how with those additions and the good will off the last Cap it just has  $40m bump - unless AOU is a dud hat not only doesn't boost but hurts the films after it.

How much of Finding Dory is a spin off and how much is a sequel with the other returning characters?  Is Nemo in it?  A sequel I could see even after 13 years doing $300m+ but a spin-off is more iffy.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

Cap 3 would probably have done around $300m before it became Civil War and added RDJ and Black Panther.  I don't see how with those additions and the good will off the last Cap it just has  $40m bump - unless AOU is a dud hat not only doesn't boost but hurts the films after it.

How much of Finding Dory is a spin off and how much is a sequel with the other returning characters?  Is Nemo in it?  A sequel I could see even after 13 years doing $300m+ but a spin-off is more iffy.

That's a good thing you reminded me of that. For a second there I almost forget that RDJ was in Civil War. :ph34r: Yeah it'll probably do 400m.

As for Finding Dory, it's supposed to be a sequel just with more of a focus on Dory.

• Like 1

I don't think there's an actual movie in that July date. Recall that an untitled movie has dropped off the schedule not only every time a new film was announced, but every time one MOVED. The June 2017, December 2017 and December 2018 ones slots were filled by Dragon 3, Croods 2 and Puss in Boots 2 moving, and the "untitled" films originally slotted for those dates did not move somewhere else.

I don't think there's an actual movie in that July date. Recall that an untitled movie has dropped off the schedule not only every time a new film was announced, but every time one MOVED. The June 2017, December 2017 and December 2018 ones slots were filled by Dragon 3, Croods 2 and Puss in Boots 2 moving, and the "untitled" films originally slotted for those dates did not move somewhere else.

What date? July 21? That is a DW/FOX untitled movie.

Croods 2 is for December 22, the untitled is for December 20th we never got confirmation it was out. I guess it did switch. What about the July 21, 2017 untitled movie?

• Like 1

This may be off topic, but with movies that are just ring scheduled now (which would most of them end up in 2017 "and beyond") but these past 2 years have really shown that the "off" months don't have to necessarily be off months.

October can have at least 1 big hit. Gravity made 700+. Gone Girl is so close to 400, and that's an adult drama. Even maybe a big effects film, for example Dracula opened higher than most expected (but fell off accordingly). Jungle Book will be very interesting to watch this year.

September for a while has had a solid hit each year with a Sony Animation film. But with the Maze Runner breaking out this year and doing 100DOM and 340WW when it's target audience is distracted with school is impressive. September will have 2 Maze Runner sequels for the next few years, which could all do close to 350WW.

February hosted one of the biggest movies of the year with LEGO, and may have another HUGE hit with Fifty Shades. Also of Kingsman and Jupiter over preform, early February could become hot proproty.

And January, the dumping ground. Lone Survivor broke out last year, American Sniper looks to next week. Also Taken 3 could open big, and Selma will do solid business. January could become the month where one or two non blockbusters do blockbuster numbers.

Just a thought I know it's been said before, but I'm REALLY trying to put off math homework...

• Like 3

Already July 2017 blows July 2016 out of the water (no pun intended). POTCV, Apes 3 and Thor: Ragnarok. POTCV (275M/1.1B), Apes 3 (230M/750M) and Thor: R (250M/800M) then you got Star Trek 3 (250M/650M), IA5 and Bourne and a few other medium hits. 2017's schedule can only get bigger (movies vacate 2016; one way).