antovolk

John Wick: Chapter 2 | February 10, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 8

This was so awesome. Much better than the first, which was already pretty good. It wasn't one of those sequels that just did more of the same, they really expanded the universe - yet still did more of the same, just made it even more badass. It successfully 

Spoiler

tied up loose ends from 1, and gave us a new set of fresh characters to become interested in. Ruby Rose and Common were pretty badass.

I think the best part was the cinematography. It was just beautiful to look at. Mix in the pristine choreography and man, what a beaut. The fights scenes were clear, focused, and had a sense of environment.

Spoiler

Especially the subway scene. Lol at shooting at each other in plain sight. And the build up on the train as well shows exactly what I mean.

This movie really made use of everything around it. I think that's what sets this and Wick 1 apart from most action movies today. They worry too much about style, yet Wick focuses on the substance.

I hope as many eyeballs see this as possible. It's great. Really great. "We're going to Applebees after this!"

Edited by jandrew
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Incarnadine said:

That was my first thought too. Technically, there could be 11 villains. violent-smiley31.gif

I'm not sure Hugo Weaving would do it since he said he was done with being typecast.

But speaking of additional Matrix reunions, how about Carrie-Anne Moss as the female assassin? She posed with Keanu and Laurence at the John Wick 2 premiere. Plus, Neo and Trinity never fought each other before. Neo's had fights with both Morpheus and Smith.

Edited by Jay Beezy

I have no idea how the 3rd one will go.

Spoiler

Not having the Continental will be a big handicap.

Will be real interesting to see how they get around it. I don't want to see

Spoiler

everyone go after him and he just kills them all. I want to see deeper into the universe and get another full story arc. I thought the sequel was going to be all about the Viggo family vengence. Glad they were able to wrap that up in 15 minutes and give a brand new story. 

Hopefully part 3 does that same thing. Though again, without the Continental, it'll be real interesting to see how they manage to pull that off.

14 minutes ago, jandrew said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

I imagine

Spoiler

John will have to cobble together allies from those outside the Continental and those willing to help him even if it makes them targets. Then he goes after the people who put the contract on his head (the High Table/Gamora). I imagine at least one of the High Table will discreetly support him.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

That's interesting, cuz I thought it had no substance whatsoever. :lol: 

(Admittedly it had a fair amount of style.)

I feel like most R-rated action movies now a days follow the same formula. I felt Wick 2 micromanaged more. Really took time to get it all right and utilize the setting. I think that difference is what sets Wick apart from something like Sleepless, which is more superficial and formulaic.

Spoiler

Like the subway scene. Come on, you know that was clever! Most action movies today would have the characters run around and chase other, get on the train, and just start punching and kicking. With Wick, he and Common took their time. The walked and kept their eyes on each other. They subtly shot at each other in plain sight, and when they got on the train they were very meticulous about their fight.

And the ending when Wick let Common live. He didn't do it out of pity, he did it because there's more to him, and more to he and Common's relationship, than it seems on the surface. Any other movie, he would've pulled out the knife, Common wouldve dropped dead. The end.

That's substance I feel.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, jandrew said:

I feel like most R-rated action movies now a days follow the same formula. I felt Wick 2 micromanaged more. Really took time to get it all right and utilize the setting. I think that difference is what sets Wick apart from something like Sleepless, which is more superficial and formulaic.

Hide contents

Like the subway scene. Come on, you know that was clever! Most action movies today would have the characters run around and chase other, get on the train, and just start punching and kicking. With Wick, he and Common took their time. The walked and kept their eyes on each other. They subtly shot at each other in plain sight, and when they got on the train they were very meticulous about their fight.

And the ending when Wick let Common live. He didn't do it out of pity, he did it because there's more to him, and more to he and Common's relationship, than it seems on the surface. Any other movie, he would've pulled out the knife, Common wouldve dropped dead. The end.

That's substance I feel.

Ah, you meant substance to the fights. I know you meant substance in general. 

10 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Ah, you meant substance to the fights. I know you meant substance in general. 

Well it had general substance too. Basically I felt they went deeper than most R-rated action movies typically do. With most it's just about the blood and body count, and "slick" looking fights.

Obviously that's important to Wick too, but I still feel there was some other stuff to chew on. Was it like The Town/The Departed/American Gangster/Bourne deep? Nah, but for it's genre, it definitely swam in a deeper pool than many of these:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=hitman.htm

Edited by jandrew

47 minutes ago, jandrew said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

I think he

Spoiler

goes after the remaining High Table members (except maybe the Bowery King), after dispatching a few dozen would be assassins of course.

Oh, and I also think

Spoiler

Aurelio delivers Wick's car all fixed up before the hour is up.

Edited by Incarnadine
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jandrew said:

Well it had general substance too. Basically I felt they went deeper than most R-rated action movies typically do. Most it's generally just about the blood and body count. Obviously that's important to Wick, but I still feel there was some other stuff to chew on. Was it like The Town/The Departed/American Gangster deep? Nah, but for it's genre, it definitely swam in a deeper pool than most of these:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=hitman.htm

It had more than the bottom of the barrel stuff, sure. But less, even, than things like the CRANK mini-saga. I mean, vague "honor among thieves" or "professional courtesy" or what have you, is one of the oldest tropes in the book. It's been around since Warner Bros gangster flicks in the 30s. 

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Here's the great thing about this - they switched up the tone and fully embraced the over the topness of it all. So many laugh out loud and Cheshire-esque grinning moments.

The good: the action is ballet-like, like everyone else has been saying. Totally lived up to the hype. Keanu is total boss. Loved the world expansion too - yay for more McShane and Reddick! Overall this is literally John Wick; Catching Fire with a pinch of almost Fury Road-esque relentlessness - they better not split up Chapter 3 into two though. And speaking of, such a great hook to lead us in. Cannot wait. At the same time, don't want Stahelski and co to rush it, that's the good thing about this one. Came at just the right time so when we get the glorious opening purposefully calling back the first film, we start grinning like idiots instead of bemoaning them. And lastly - Stormare, Ruby Rose and Common and FISHBURNE were AWESOME.

Everything else: too little Aurelio and Jimmy (can they get bigger roles in 3 please), the D'Antonios are serviceable (although I liked Santino's cheek - in the figurative sense of the word) point being: it's the architecture of this world that's the enemy and not as much the people, unlike the first film. Visuals feel a bit too brightened and Technicoloured up but then again - fits with the new tone. Oh, and the fake Russian is still there - endearing but nope.

Anyway - bring on Chapter 3.

• Like 2