antovolk

John Wick: Chapter 2 | February 10, 2017 | Teaser Trailer on Page 8

22 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Do you mean all first sequels or just first sequels that include a variant of 2 in the title?

I guess my question is : does JW2 land in the pantheon on best sequels, since the filmmakers referenced T2 & Aliens a lot as a template of how to do a good sequel.

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

Yes, similar problems, though RAID 2 had more interesting characters and situations (and cooler fights to boot).

Absolutely not IMO. There's a lot I like about the Raid 2, but it makes some really grevious errors chiefly with Uco: his character isn't really that different from Iosef in John Wick, except the arc he goes through makes the emotional scene they go for with Rama at the end feel very unearned.

I go back and forth on whether I prefer the action, but JW2's final set piece is at least visually more interesting than anything in The Raid 2.

Spoiler

The tail end catacombs sequence with the shotgun also reminded me of Hard Boiled,

and that sort of thing will always get me hot and bothered. ;) 

Edit: BTW, here's a great article that I think quite eloquently explains why John Wick is such a great action series: http://www.slashfilm.com/john-wick-chapter-2-analysis/

Edited by Biggestgeekever

1 hour ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Absolutely not IMO. There's a lot I like about the Raid 2, but it makes some really grevious errors chiefly with Uco: his character isn't really that different from Iosef in John Wick, except the arc he goes through makes the emotional scene they go for with Rama at the end feel very unearned.

I go back and forth on whether I prefer the action, but JW2's final set piece is at least visually more interesting than anything in The Raid 2.

Reveal hidden contents

and that sort of thing will always get me hot and bothered. ;) 

Edit: BTW, here's a great article that I think quite eloquently explains why John Wick is such a great action series: http://www.slashfilm.com/john-wick-chapter-2-analysis/

I guess I disagree with you on almost every level. Though admittedly I think they're fairly close in quality. RAID 2's a B, JW2's a B/B-

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Futurist said:

The Raid 2 Flashbacks.

Am I only one who hated Raid 2? I watched Raid 1 and blew me off with action and story, and I had such a high standards for sequel, hype was big. But It was complete let down. Didnt even like action in second one. 

When I read Raid 2 flashbacks, the context has completely different meaning for me. Negative one. 

Edited by Neno