Fancyarcher

Allied | 11.23.2016 | Brad Pitt, Marion Cotillard. Robert Zemeckis directing

We should never -- ever! -- give credence to any sort of "script review". In almost all cases, these leaks are not the shooting script. They're some development draft, which almost always will go through significant changes. And even if it was a shooting script, not only will that change (to some degree) during production, but this basic fact bears repeating: a script is not a movie! Scriptshadow (and other internet dudes who like to do this) might as well review a building based on its blueprints.

The only thing serviced by these online reviews is self-gratification and promotion by the reviewer.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Free State of Tele said:

We should never -- ever! -- give credence to any sort of "script review". In almost all cases, these leaks are not the shooting script. They're some development draft, which almost always will go through significant changes. And even if it was a shooting script, not only will that change (to some degree) during production, but this basic fact bears repeating: a script is not a movie! Scriptshadow (and other internet dudes who like to do this) might as well review a building based on its blueprints.

The only thing serviced by these online reviews is self-gratification and promotion by the reviewer.

Oh I get that, I just posting it so I keep this thread going. There's not much else out there about Allied right now other then another image. I largely admit I posted that for curiosity sakes, and because I found it on another film site that I regularly visit.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

every scriptshadow review i've read makes that dude sound like a real dumbo, gotta admit.

I'm addicted to his site sadly (it was one of my first movie sites I started reading regularly and it's hard to quit), but he's been getting worse. A couple weeks ago, he started a review complaining about Finding Dory being a thing because "Nemo is one of the worst Pixar movies with zero creativity." He then panned a script for a thriller about a wheelchair salesman being trapped in the Australian outback after a car accident with a physically disabled cousin because "having someone with a disability in your movie poster makes me instantly think it should be a comedy. Rewrite it to get rid of the wheelchair cousin or make it a comedy." So stupid, especially when coupled together since Nemo has a disability in Finding Nemo that isn't played for laughs which, of course, was a huge hit.

Tl;dr: Scriptshadow is a goober

• Like 1

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

If they really finished filming on this last month than they'll probably have to really rush through post-production to make this year. Something tells me that won't happen.

Well, technically post-production started the day after production. If there's not a ton of VFX shots, or they were executed with a great deal of planning and didn't get changed up in production, or if Zemeckis has a very clear idea of what he shot and what story he wants to tell, there's plenty of time to get through post in three months.

Yeah, script reviews are rather dumb.  You can't measure the quality of the movie based on the script alone, it isn't a book.

It's like high school kids complaining that Shakespeare is terrible, overrated garbage because they're reading what was meant to be performed (and performed well).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Well, technically post-production started the day after production. If there's not a ton of VFX shots, or they were executed with a great deal of planning and didn't get changed up in production, or if Zemeckis has a very clear idea of what he shot and what story he wants to tell, there's plenty of time to get through post in three months.

I guess it'll all depend on Paramount. They got a lot to juggle between this, Arrival, Fences (Denzel + Viola + an award-winning play = hell will freeze over before they save it for next year), and Silence (assuming it actually is coming out this year and won't need additional time in the editing room).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Yeah, script reviews are rather dumb.  You can't measure the quality of the movie based on the script alone, it isn't a book.

It's like high school kids complaining that Shakespeare is terrible, overrated garbage because they're reading what was meant to be performed (and performed well).

Of course you can't judge a film's potential quality based off it's early script, however I do think there are scripts out there, particularly aborted ones that are interesting to look at. I myself have read some early scripts for films largely because I'm curious.

1 minute ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Of course you can't judge a film's potential quality based off it's early script, however I do think there are scripts out there, particularly aborted ones that are interesting to look at. I myself have read some early scripts for films largely because I'm curious.

Agreed, sure, of course they're interesting as a construct of their time, and perhaps as an indicator of where a project was headed. Or as a what-might've-been. Just not for what most people tend to view them as.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Agreed, sure, of course they're interesting as a construct of their time, and perhaps as an indicator of where a project was headed. Or as a what-might've-been. Just not for what most people tend to view them as.

Well it probably helps that I'm a scriptwriter, so I'm a bit curious at times. Doesn't mean I consider a film's quality based sorely off reading it's first script though. :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Well it probably helps that I'm a scriptwriter, so I'm a bit curious at times. Doesn't mean I consider a film's quality based sorely off reading it's first script though. :)

I don't make a living doing it, but I consider myself a screenwriter who works really, really slowly and hasn't sold anything (yet). :rofl: So yes, we're once again in total agreement.  :) Way back when, I had someone who slipped me copies of the never-made INDY 4 and LION, WITCH, & THE WARDROBE (among others), and they're fascinating as historical documents. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I don't make a living doing it, but I consider myself a screenwriter who works really, really slowly and hasn't sold anything (yet). :rofl: So yes, we're once again in total agreement.  :) Way back when, I had someone who slipped me copies of the never-made INDY 4 and LION, WITCH, & THE WARDROBE (among others), and they're fascinating as historical documents. 

I've actually looked at a few of the aborted Alien3 scripts (they had like a 100 different scripts written for that film, good lord), and some of them are pretty interesting actually. We could have gotten a different movie from what we got with that film, of course that's a big "what-if".

• Like 2

http://www.awardscircuit.com/2016/08/03/first-look-brad-pitt-marion-cotillard-allied-paramount-pictures/

80B7AE6E-6BD6-4E0F-AE7E-1A6A4A699029.png

“ALLIED” is the story of intelligence officer Max Vatan (Pitt), who in 1942 North Africa encounters French Resistance fighter Marianne Beausejour (Cotillard) on a deadly mission behind enemy lines. Reunited in London, their relationship is threatened by the extreme pressures of the war.