The Stingray

The Neon Demon | June 24 | Nicolas Winding Refn (director), Elle Fanning, Christina Hendricks, Keanu Reeves

12 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Hahahaha. Refn is too much for the critics to handle. Another classic for the future. Refn and Trank should team up to fuck with everyone. Now that would be something.

I mean, aside from Only God Forgives, his movies are well received by critics, might even go so far as to say he's kind of darling among them.

Speaking of fucking with everyone, I feel a Southland Tales comment is permitted in a Refn movie thread... Anyway, finally saw that one. And, I'll admit, I really, really, really liked the last 30 minutes of it. Hell, that Timberlake dance number with the nurses was strangely entrancing too. But, wow, the trolling of the young century in the film industry. Just, unreal, bizarro mesh of maddeningly clashing castings, framing, storytelling, etc. Quite a trip. I bring it up because I'd read the reaction it received at Cannes was pretty brutal.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

1 hour ago, La Binoche said:

It just screened @ Cannes. This is the critic for The Telegraph: 

Ahahaha how do I even review that now? It's basically Death Becomes Her with explicit lesbian necrophilia

Yuck. 

I hope Nicholas Winding Refn isn't becoming too married to that off kilter brand of cinema European directors are too (in)famous for.

7 hours ago, La Binoche said:

It just screened @ Cannes. This is the critic for The Telegraph: 

Ahahaha how do I even review that now? It's basically Death Becomes Her with explicit lesbian necrophilia

Well shit two of my favorite things all in one movie!  And the visuals are gorgeous!

• Like 1

Mmm.

"Beauty mingles with mangled flesh, and each fastidiously slick image seems to have come out of Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me or The Shining or a very sick version of a Calvin Klein commercial."

- Variety

Btw, I'm seeing Only God Forgives for the first time tonight.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Otakusai said:

Yuck. 

I hope Nicholas Winding Refn isn't becoming too married to that off kilter brand of cinema European directors are too (in)famous for.

He's always been. Drive just had more of a heart to it than usual.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

He's always been. Drive just had more of a heart to it than usual.

When I first watched Drive -I stumbled into it unknowingly-, I knew after ten minutes that it wasn't directed by an American. The framing, the tone, the sudden fits of visceral violence, the flavor of it all became a burden throughout the movie.  The part I enjoyed the most (after the opening sequence) was watching Hendricks trot in those heels to the scene of the robbery..

;-;

After he killed my baby tumblr_n1xkf9XPjg1tp8mg7o1_250.gif  (I had a feeling she wouldn't make it anyway, lol) I lost interest.

Are you looking for to this movie?  If so, why?

Edited by Otakusai