grim22

Fifty Shades Darker | February 10th, 2017 | First Trailer on Page 13

I'm writing a prequel to 50 Shades of Grey right now where a young Grey gets beaten and sexually violated by an older woman, leading to his love of S&M. I'm gonna change the names of the characters and then sell it to the highest bidder. Watch this space!

Erm...wasn't this already Christian's backstory in the books?

Well I am sure it will be much better than anything E.L. James has written.

I am not surprised by rumors of her behavior. This is a woman who was a fangirl of the Twilight universe. So much that she devoted time to write a sex fantasy based on the characters. Fanboys/girls are usually the most psycho with details and refuse to let anything be changed when adapted.

A middle-aged woman devoting her time to writing sex fantasies based on a vampire romance aimed at tweens is a story idea in and of itself.

And then you have Percy Jackson, which is a huge YA series, bigger in sales than Divergent, The Maze Runner, Fault in Our Stars (the series is still in Top 10 New York Times bestselling children books for the 355th week; that's more than HP was on the chart) and look how that turned out, exactly because Rick Riordan had no saying in it. He actually said he didn't even bother watch the movies since he was not allowed to do anything. That should have been a big franchise, the fanbase was there, but they destroyed the first movie and butchered the second one.

EL James is one extreme, and this is the opposite one. What I'm saying is there's a middle ground. I don't think authors need to be completely disconnected from the film production, but they can't and shouldn't be in total control or have total say over it either. James needs to let go and keep a middle ground approach. She thinks she knows what's best for the movie because she knows the story and characters inside and out and she knows what the fandom likes, but that won't make a good movie OR a good adaptation. She's thinking like a fangirl, not a filmmaker. She doesn't know how to be the latter, so she needs to let the folks who do ... do. Put in her suggestions or flat-out instructions where she sees fit, make sure they don't trash her story, but let them do their job. It's not like she can't have any good ideas to give them. Like that whole skirmish about what the last word in the movie should be? I actually agreed with her. I thought the director's idea missed the point of what that moment was about. Involvement is good. Snatching the steering wheel away and basically saying "Oh, never mind, I'll do it, you're just gonna mess it up" is not helping anyone, especially when you have no experience (or even ability) to qualify you to do it.

Edited by Nutterbutter
  • Like 1

JLaw went from $250,000 to "only" $10M between the first HG movie and the second, and that series is much more lucrative than this. Hunger Games made a lot more than this movie has so far, and domestically, it earned more than twice what this one has at this same point in its release. (Fifty Shades, 32 days out: $161M; Hunger Games, 32 days out: $358M). I say give these fools $5 million and tell them to shut up.

Edited by Nutterbutter
  • Like 1

They are no doubt under contract anyways, they can threaten to walk but it is almost 100% sure the two leads signed a three picture deal. To threaten to walk you have to have pull outside the franchise you are in, Johnson/Dornan have very little. Lawrence even Stewart/Pattison had a lot more leverage that doesn't apply here.

They are no doubt under contract anyways, they can threaten to walk but it is almost 100% sure the two leads signed a three picture deal. To threaten to walk you have to have pull outside the franchise you are in, Johnson/Dornan have very little. Lawrence even Stewart/Pattison had a lot more leverage that doesn't apply here.

They are under contract but Jamie (per some article) has an out clause that he can use if certain conditions aren't met.

JLaw went from $250,000 to "only" $10M between the first HG movie and the second, and that series is much more lucrative than this. Hunger Games made a lot more than this movie has so far, and domestically, it earned more than twice what this one has at this same point in its release. (Fifty Shades, 32 days out: $161M; Hunger Games, 32 days out: $358M). I say give these fools $5 million and tell them to shut up.

I wouldn't even give them 5 mil, JLAW earned that pay check and her performance helped towards the success of THG. 50 shades is practically guaranteed to drop at the box office and I don't think people care enough about the Actors on screen, they could switch the guy with someone else and I really don't think it would make THAT much of a difference.  

They are under contract but Jamie (per some article) has an out clause that he can use if certain conditions aren't met.

Studio will be so happy if he leaves over salary dispute (or any other reason honestly). Guy has zero pull honestly, easily replaceable for little $. Just get a aspiring actor male model ;).

• Like 1

:rofl: Are you people for real? Since you are on these forums I'd expect you to understand better how important is an actor in such a big franchise. All my girl friends that saw 50 Shades were fangirling over Dornan and how great he was. Just because you are not a fan it doesn't mean there are no fans. 

Edited by James

:rofl: Are you people for real? Since you are on these forums I'd expect you to understand better how important is an actor in such a big franchise. All my girl friends that saw 50 Shades were fangirling over Dornan and how great he was. Just because you are not a fan it doesn't mean there are no fans. 

LOL

• Like 2

Big franchise??? LOL

This one will drop below 100M domestic

Big franchise??? LOL

This one will drop below 100M domestic

Yeah, and it will make over 300M OS. You do realize nowadays studios are more and more directing movies towards the OS audienaces? And the first movie will end up with close to 600M WW. It is a big franchise.