CJohn

Paddington 2 | 12 JAN 2018 | Warner Bros. Snags US Rights - Still on for the 12th.

I think Inside Out being snubbed for Best Picture killed much of the passion for getting animated or kids movies recognized in the category. They're going to do what they're going to do no matter how much we complain.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 3

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/weinstein-company-bankruptcy-paddington-2-sale-1202613482/

The Weinstein Company is trying to find a buyer for “Paddington 2” before the indie film studio files for bankruptcy protection.

The company has domestic rights to the family film, and has talked to several studios, including Sony and MGM, about such a deal. Sony is believed to be in the lead position to land the rights, insiders say, but the studio is concerned about legal entanglements surrounding the picture.

The Weinstein C0. would like to close a deal for “Paddington 2” before it undertakes any filing. It believes that the film’s monster opening in the United Kingdom last weekend, where it picked up $10.8 million, will increase the price tag. Studiocanal, the film’s producer, has the right of first refusal on any deal.

So...it doesn't have a new studio...I think? All this legal stuff is confusing me.

• Like 1

This is a good move. I have to feel bad for The Weinstein Company because there are innocent people on their staff that are inevitably losing their jobs. But I'm glad they're taking the highest road they can by selling Paddington to someone else instead of selfishly keeping it for themselves and having it die with them.

4 minutes ago, slambros said:

This is a good move. I have to feel bad for The Weinstein Company because there are innocent people on their staff that are inevitably losing their jobs. But I'm glad they're taking the highest road they can by selling Paddington to someone else instead of selfishly keeping it for themselves and having it die with them.

The Weinstein company was in trouble before the scandal hit; it had to sell off it's film library a few years before to stave off bankruptcy.

It is not a nobel move on the Weinstein's but one in which they don't have much choice.

1 hour ago, CoolEric258 said:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/weinstein-company-bankruptcy-paddington-2-sale-1202613482/

So...it doesn't have a new studio...I think? All this legal stuff is confusing me.

The contract with the Weinstein companyfor the release of Paddinton 2  is valid and legally binding until somebody buys the Weinstein company out. Studio Canal was basically announcing they are looking for a studio to do just that:buy own the Weinstein interest in Paddington 2.  You just don't get out of a contract by asking.

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

They might place it under their label if they get the rights (ala Peter Rabbit and Goosebumps).

It wouldn't be a SPA title as it's domestic only. Five films even if this one is very good is just too much for one studio. I have a feeling Goosebumps 2 isn't happening next year as they should be shooting by now.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, YourMother said:

They might place it under their label if they get the rights (ala Peter Rabbit and Goosebumps).

It was not made by SONY animation, and they cannot sell it as a Sony Animatation without a horde of legal problems. Tme most they can do is a "Released by Sony Animation" credit.

• Like 1

http://deadline.com/2017/11/paddington-2-warner-sony-bidding-war-north-american-distribution-rights-1202208119/

A new distributor should be announced within the next 24 hours. WB and Sony are the frontrunners right now with Lionsgate and Open Road (I'm assuming that's who they mean by Global Road) still in the mix.

• Like 1

I would give anything if a new studio would come in, buy the rights and give it a pre Christmas or Christmas release date.  The first was an instant classic and BEGS to be released during he holidays.  The reviews for this are even better than the first so I'm going in with high expectations but the first is truly one of the most charming films I've ever seen.

Warner Bros. Wins ‘Paddington 2’ Bidding War

Paddington 2 is going to Warner Bros., the home of the pic’s producer David Heyman. Warner Bros. made the news official in a press release this morning. Weinstein originally possessed domestic rights on the StudioCanal movie. The news today confirms what Deadline originally reported, that WB was one of the leading contenders for domestic rights to the pic.

Warner Bros. beat out Sony, Lionsgate and Global Road in a bidding war that reached $30M.

Further points need to be worked out on the deal. The trick now is for Warner Bros. to meet the pic’s Jan. 12 release date and market the sequel in time.

One of the contingency points in the Paddington 2 deal is that the Weinstein Co. would continue to get profit.

TWC’s share of the Paddington 2 sale will go toward keeping the company solvent as the board moves toward selling the remaining assets. TWC is still in discussions with Fortress for $35M in bridge financing, but the Paddington 2 cash will help the company meet its commitments as the board moves to broker a deal for all assets by year’s end.

http://deadline.com/2017/11/warner-bros-wins-paddington-2-bidding-war-1202208868/

• Like 6