CJohn

Paddington 2 | 12 JAN 2018 | Warner Bros. Snags US Rights - Still on for the 12th.

100m is realsitic for PADD2 I guess. First one did 4.01x. This one should do 3.5x+ imo.

Could be one of those sequels to leg it better than the predecessor for all we know.

25-30 ow, 3.5-4x gives 75-120 dom.

• Like 3

January doesn't really seem like that much of a dumping ground this year...

We have this supposed masterpiece of family cinema. We've got the wide expansions of Post/Molly's Game as well as some other obvious expansions (even though that happens every year).

We already had a decent horror movie open up to twice the numbers many were expecting (and probably twice the quality anyone was expecting as well). A Liam Neeson action film that's got pretty decent reviews so far, and the conclusion to a YA trilogy that has already grossed nearly 700M worldwide. 

Either 12 Strong is an absolute stinker, or I'd say we got lucky this January.

• Like 4

January has recently been a pretty solid month for moviegoing. Calendar gross-wise it's about on par with November. It's just if you know you have gold on your hands there's no reason not to slip it into LA the month before.

Edited by tribefan695

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

I'm assuming it's going to disappoint at the box office just because almost everything has been recently. Just happy to get a well-reviewed film out of it.

This is not really true, my friend.

Everything that has been poorly reviewed has disappointed recently (except Star Wars, due to extremely divisive wom; Blade Runner 2049, due to being very anti-mainstream; and Disaster Artist to an extent). And even then, some poorly reviewed stuff has succeeded as well.

Did Daddy's Home 2 disappoint? Murder On The Orient Express? Wonder? Coco (maybe DOM a little bit, but 200M was the ceiling of expectations pre-release and it's going to hit that)? Jumanji? The Greatest Showman? Bad Moms Christmas? Even Thor: Ragnarok hit the high end of what it was expected to do.

Paddington 2 has as good wom from audiences as critics, well then this may not disappoint after all.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Paddington 2 has as good wom from audiences as critics, well then this may not disappoint after all.

If Paddington 2 matches the first film or increases then it's a success for WB considering they acquired it quite late. It's a wonderful film so I hope it does well in the US but TBH the UK and China box office alone means it's already a bonafide hit, the US is just gravy

• Like 3

Watched Paddington for the first time a few nights ago. Never gave it a chance, thought it was your typical dumb talking animal movie. Yeah. The movie was incredible and such a great surprise. The direction was impeccable, the heart was strong. I was laughing harder at it than I do at these stupid R rated comedies that think saying the F word is supposed to illicit laughs. May have just become an instant favorite.

Didn't really plan on going to the movies this month, but I guess we gotta check this one out now. The fact that this is supposed to even better. Whoa boy.

• Like 7