Jandrew

Spider-Man: Homecoming | July 7, 2017 | NOT THE MARVEL-DC THREAD

I can't help wondering...

If the race of the character isn't important, why are a small vocal minority campaigning to have him be black?   What's wrong with him being white?

I think it is the not balanced percentage of non-white to white actors/actresses in the most movies. So if the originial material offers the possibilty to pick one or the other.... some start to hope or more.

Even if a character is known to be white, for a lot of supporting roles there is no need for any race. Looking into casting calls they still either look for whites only or cast in a strange percentage white actors.

Same with females.

Did you know that even when female filmmakers do a film about a female theme... the average of female speaking roles is still under 40%? Way better than the average of all movies no matter the genre, but still not equal.

Or age:

male lead in several action movie casting calls I've seen the last few days: nearly all give an age range of 30 to 50 for the male leads and supporting roles. The females: young/early (forgot the term) twenties (I understood it as ~ max 25y)

For that there is even a 'price' of the most ... (term? bad, unhealthy, craddle robbing,...????) age difference between the (~ sexual interest or more) pairing up of actor / actress. Last year winners were Magic in the Moonlight's Colin Firth (1960) and Emma Stone (1988)

• Like 5

I can't help wondering...

If the race of the character isn't important, why are a small vocal minority campaigning to have him be black? What's wrong with him being white?

Seriously, I've asked members of my big black family, some of my friends, and they all either didn't care, or didn't know why they would change peter. When I explained the situation to my eldest Auntie she said "why would I want the white mans leftovers when I can make my own dinner" (and then urged me and my cousins to start a business...). Her husband (who is pretty hardcore) thinks the whole thing is a distraction from actual problems, put out by the mystical white powers that be.

Ive given up and come to the conclusion that theres just a bunch of overly liberal white people trying to show off how hip and non racist they are. I've had dealings with people like this before. It's annoying but it dissappears real quick. There's also seems to be very few people asking for Asian or Hispanic representation too.

Or maybe I'm wrong. I don't get what's wrong with a white guy playing spiderman. But whatever.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 9

Seriously, I've asked members of my big black family, some of my friends, and they all either didn't care, or didn't know why they would change peter. When I explained the situation to my eldest Auntie she said "why would I want the white mans leftovers when I can make my own dinner" (and then urged me and my cousins to start a business...). Her husband (who is pretty hardcore) thinks the whole thing is a distraction from actual problems, put out by the mystical white powers that be.

Ive given up and come to the conclusion that theres just a bunch of overly liberal white people trying to show off how hip and non racist they are. I've had dealings with people like this before. It's annoying but it dissappears real quick. There's also seems to be very few people asking for Asian or Hispanic representation too.

Or maybe I'm wrong. I don't get what's wrong with a white guy playing spiderman. But whatever.

Everyone here makes it sound like its so easy for a studio to green light a tent pole feature about a superhero that doesn't exist. That's what you're asking for when you say "why don't they just create a new superhero?"

I'm not a liberal and I'm not trying to show off. I'm just on the side that for some characters, the color of their skin does not matter.

The reason everyone is focused on a black Spider-Man is because of the Donald Glover business. If someone had named an Asian actor that made just as much sense, I'd be all for that too.

• Like 1

Everyone here makes it sound like its so easy for a studio to green light a tent pole feature about a superhero that doesn't exist. That's what you're asking for when you say "why don't they just create a new superhero?"

I'm not a liberal and I'm not trying to show off. I'm just on the side that for some characters, the color of their skin does not matter.

The reason everyone is focused on a black Spider-Man is because of the Donald Glover business. If someone had named an Asian actor that made just as much sense, I'd be all for that too.

This. Also, time and again it's been proven in comics alone that the characters of color who can most successfully be leads and hold their own solo series are legacy characters like Spider-Man, Ms. Marvel and over at DC, Green Lantern and the Cassandra Cain Batgirl. A Miles Morales Spider-Man book will do more than double the business in sales even at its low point than a Luke Cage solo or even an ensemble book of characters of color like Mighty Avengers.

I see the purists use the fact that Spider-Man is a huge name and Marvel and Disney are businesses that shouldn't take risks for the sake of diversity to support their agenda when it suits them, but then when they throw away half-baked ideas like "build your own character", where does that argument disappear to then? If the companies don't dare consider casting a non-white dude for Spider-Man, they will be ten times more averse to greenlighting something like a Static Shock movie featuring an actual teen of color as the lead character.

Edited by Spidey Freak

Creating new, non-Caucasian heroes and having colour-blind casting wherever possible are not mutually exclusive...

The Fact your Black Family is pointing this out shows that there is simply no need to fix what isn't broken... If Black people are so up in arms over not enough superhero roles being created for them, them create new characters... The issue is then fixed.. God Knows I work with enough Black people in the Hotel world and haven't heard 1 complaint from them about not enough superhero's being Black, except for this site and World Of KJ... :slaphead: 

Edited by BKB INFINITY WARS

As long as they get the character right it probably doesn't matter who they cast. All I know is I want Kraven for the the villain.

They should hire the best Actor for the job. Who cares about the race.

Edited by Snoopy of Suburbia
  • Like 1

That is exactly how I look at it and it is quite annoying. It reminds me of the way Jonah Hill stands up for Jay Baruchel in This is The End lol. These complains only ever seem to come from white people. I have plenty of black friends who couldn't give a shit, and they like spiderman

Yeah and it's really only white people from these geek circles. Fact is most of the GA has no idea who the fuck Miles Morales is.

• Like 1

Yeah and it's really only white people from these geek circles. Fact is most of the GA has no idea who the fuck Miles Morales is.

Which is why it'll be Peter Parker, it's who the audience knows and it's who made Spider-man a name in the first place. 

Not Miguel O'Hara(Spidey 2099)

Not Ben Reilly(Scarlet Spider I)

Not Kaine(Scarlet Spider II)

Not Miles Morales

This is click bait "news" by sites justifying their ad rates. 

• Like 1

The GA doesn't know the majority of superhero alter-egos until a movie is made about them. Using that as a reason to not use Miles Morales is a flawed argument. He shouldn't be used for minority reasons, he should be used because there's nothing else to explore with Parker in high school. 

the main reason I don't get why people are still talking about it is because they have basically confirmed it is Peter Parker and they are looking at actors like Dylan O'Brien and Logan Lerman

• Like 5

the main reason I don't get why people are still talking about it is because they have basically confirmed it is Peter Parker and they are looking at actors like Dylan O'Brien and Logan Lerman

I agree completely.

The GA doesn't know the majority of superhero alter-egos until a movie is made about them. Using that as a reason to not use Miles Morales is a flawed argument. He shouldn't be used for minority reasons, he should be used because there's nothing else to explore with Parker in high school. 

It would be a flawed argument for say Dr. Strange, Rick Flagg, Ant-Man...heck take your pick of many heroes that have yet to have mass exposure. This is Spider-man, a character the world, the WORLD knows as Peter Parker, a white nerdy kid from NY. So that's who'll it be for all kinds of reasons. 

I'm pro getting other "Spider-men" out there but it won't be cause Hollywood has "exhausted" all there is to tell about Parker in 5 films. Two of which are origin stories. Now, Marvel has stated it's Parker and the list of actors rumored at are not anything but Parker. So these entertainment click bait stories are very tiresome at this point. 

Edited by Captain Craig
  • Like 4

Didn't theysay Spider-Man not Parker?

Uh, Yeah except for 1 thing: People identify Peter Parker with SPIDER-MAN, therefore, he wouldn't be accepted as being played by a Black actor.. He just wouldn't and why this bullshit keeps being brought up as though it's going to matter is baffling...

Was accepted when Morales was in the comics, no?

Didn't theysay Spider-Man not Parker?

Maybe, but given who they're looking at for the role, I doubt it would be Miles unless they plan on doing blackface.