Squaremaster316

The Top 25 most overrated films of all time.

In the 1980's, filmmaker Robert Zemeckis, created a film casting a young Michael J Fox, still hot off of his current run on Family Ties and Christopher Lloyd, who recently wrapped up a role as the universe's most unlikely Klingon.

It's themes centering around time travel, family values, improving one's life and just desserts towards those that stand in your path.

So let's devote this slot to that film, shall we...

Back_to_the_Future_Part_II.jpg

What?  You didn't think I was talking about the first film, did you?

Though I can see the confusion.

Aside from a few plot holes (Future Biff behaving no different from the 1955 Biff, and thus making George's humbling of him null and void.) and issues with the casting (diminishing George's appearance and the unceremonious dumping of Jennifer's), the film is basically a retread of many plot points from the first.

Specific scenes, such as the almost beat for beat copy of the chase from the cafe, to blatantly replaying the prom sequence (albeit from a different POV), makes you feel like the film isn't so much its own animal, but just walking on eggshells around the story of the first.  

The film is also plagued by a convoluted 3rd act with future Marty interacting with Past Doc within seconds after sending Past Marty back to the future after Future Doc gets accidentally sent back to the distant pas--

Again, this seems to be one of those films that, due to its association with the first film, gets a pass to allow the eventual trilogy to be regarded in a better light.  That's not to say that the film doesn't have some entertaining moments, but it just doesn't seem to have any sense of flow or connectivity.
Edited by Squaremaster316
  • Like 2

Back the Future II, is a huge huge step down from the first.. (not that I hate it, but BTF is one of my all time favorite movies) but don't most people already think that? 

There's frequent discussions about the trilogy being ranked up there with other 70's/80's trios, such as Indiana Jones and Star Wars

• Like 1

Thor and BTTF2 are both positively received, aren't they? I don't see a problem with calling them overrated.

Thor didn't receive enough praise to be considered one of 25's most overrated movies of all time, unless the person calling it overrated thinks its one of the worst movies ever made and given how biased Squaremaster is, that's probably the case resulting in people giving less shit about this thread.

Edited by jessie
  • Like 2

#23.

Now I'm not against comedies winning best picture.  Hell, Rain Man and Annie Hall are some of my favorite films to win this category.

But still, even though they had comedic slants to them, they seemed to be significantly less... silly than the offering for the 23rd slot.

51zZ9rh8nyL.jpg

Seriously?

A film featuring a stuttering doofus who was thrust into the opening prologue of a very important play simply so we would have a "surprise" moment when he starts speaking clearly at the most crucial moment won Best Picture of the year?  Over Saving Private Ryan?

Again, I am not opposed to comedies being nominated, but there were times that this film felt like a parody that just a straight comedy.

Also, while I admire Paltrow's committed role, Judi Dench just didn't do anything for me as the Queen, which was easily one of the most forgettable roles in that film.

Overall, it's a mildly quirky comedy that just got way too much "Love" from the critics.

Shakespeare, you may be in love, but when it comes to Madden's portrayal of you and this world, I just wanna be friends.

• Like 3

I have to admit Squaremaster, while I don't agree with your last 2 picks (I haven't actually seen Shakespeare in love) they have got me interested in the list. I really am curious to see your top 5.

I love Marvel, but I agree that the Thor films are a tad overrated. I actually did enjoy a first (mostly because of Brannah's direction) but they are sub-par IMO (excluding Loki).

• Like 1