James

James' Top 50 Of The Decade So Far (It all ends here...)

This list is surely to be interesting. I am sure I will be scratching my head at some of these choices. :lol:

Haha, I think no. 50-40 will be on your taste more or less. But no 40 onwards... :lol: Also, countdown starting in about 10 minutes :D

• Like 1

50. This Is Where I Leave You (2014)

IHpX9.jpg

'This is Where I leave You' was a tight fit in the top. It was undeniably a good film. I like movies about family issues and this one was exactly that. What makes it stand appart from many other films trying the same subject is how much you can relate to the characters and their problems. Also, having such a great cast together helps a lot. It's really hard to think of a recent movie of Bateman's that I don't like at least a bit.

Grade: 65/100 

• Like 3

49. These Final Hours (2013)

these_final_hours_ver2_xlg.jpg

A self-obsessed young man makes his way to the party-to-end-all-parties on the last day on Earth, but ends up saving the life of a little girl searching for her father. Their relationship ultimately leads him on the path to redemption.

I decided to see this movie solely based on this sinopsis (and the poster :P ) and I was very surprised at how engaging the story was. When I don't watch a blockbuster I am very pretentious when it comes to the main character. For once: I like crooked characters with a lot of problems and this guy really has them. In the midst of the apocalypse he has to sacrifice his final hours of life by helping a little girl. The story, as I said, is intriguing. There's no hope on the horizon so the whole movie has this "doom and gloom" feeling. There is no happy ending possible and this is one of the aspects I liked the most.

Also, this has that weird, trippy look that most independent british films have so that's nice. And surprisingly, it dosn't look as cheap as I expected it to.  

1407401407248.jpg-620x349.jpg

1406888278491.jpg-620x349.jpg

Edited by 69 Shades of James
  • Like 1

65/100? James can you explain your grading system more please. I would consider 65/100 to not be a very good grade at all.

Most of these films got an A/A-/A+ in the review threads but I need to make a difference between them. So they are all graded in comparison to the movies that hold the first 3 places. :)

• Like 2

48. Premature (2014)

premature-movie-poster-01-1390x2048.jpg

This is the first of only 4 comedies on the entire list. When it comes to this genre, I have a very specific taste. It takes a lot for me to like a comedy, but this "losing your virginity over and over again till you get it right" concept got me rollin' :lol: . John Carna is a likable guy and a decent actor, but the supporting cast is what trully makes the movie raise above the huge mass of teen comedies out there. If I wouldn't be so bad at making predictions, I'd say Craig Roberts has a bright future ahead.

Grade: 66/100

47. Olympus Has Fallen (2013)

Olympus-Has-Fallen.jpg

Of the two White House movies that came out in 2013 one I loved and one I found to be boring as hell. 'Olympus Has Fallen' is over the top, unreal and silly, but at the same time - fun, crazy enjoyable and... well, just crazy! Seeing the White House go down in flames was nice, and seeing Gerard Butler kick ass was even nicer.

Fuqua's direction is good, like always. Kudos to him for that, because it's very easy to have such a concept and fuck it up in a second (see 'White House Down').

Grade: 67/100

• Like 1

46. Oblivion (2013)

oblivion-poster.jpg

This is the kind of role Cruise was born to play. SF has always been his genre and when you have other talents, like Freeman, around and a great story you can't get it wrong.

'Oblivion' is more or less like a painting. The VFX is as good as it gets and the soundtrack is one of the best I've every heard. M83 and Susanne Sundfor are a magical duo.

Grade: 68/100

45. Frozen (2010)

fronzen.jpg

Nope, it's not THAT 'Frozen', but a dark horror/drama built on a simple idea: you are suspended high above the ground and you're not going anywhere; it's freezing cold and it will get much much colder; survive. What really draws you in is the cold, hard realism (get it, cold :P ). I've seen this movie during my "horror obsessing" period and it remained stuck in my head. I love Shawn Ashmore as an actor and he really brings up the movie, making up for the other two leads.

• Like 6

50. This Is Where I Leave You (2014)

IHpX9.jpg

'This is Where I leave You' was a tight fit in the top. It was undeniably a good film. I like movies about family issues and this one was exactly that. What makes it stand appart from many other films trying the same subject is how much you can relate to the characters and their problems. Also, having such a great cast together helps a lot. It's really hard to think of a recent movie of Bateman's that I don't like at least a bit.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

45. Frozen (2010)

fronzen.jpg

Nope, it's not THAT 'Frozen', but a dark horror/drama built on a simple idea: you are suspended high above the ground and you're not going anywhere; it's freezing cold and it will get much much colder; survive. What really draws you in is the cold, hard realism (get it, cold :P ). I've seen this movie during my "horror obsessing" period and it remained stuck in my head. I love Shawn Ashmore as an actor and he really brings up the movie, making up for the other two leads.

Frozen is fucking great!

tumblr_lupel430rw1qmmrpjo1_500.gif

Edited by Mr Voorhees will C U now
  • Like 3

48. Premature (2014)

premature-movie-poster-01-1390x2048.jpg

This is the first of only 4 comedies on the entire list. When it comes to this genre, I have a very specific taste. It takes a lot for me to like a comedy, but this "losing your virginity over and over again till you get it right" concept got me rollin' :lol: . John Carna is a likable guy and a decent actor, but the supporting cast is what trully makes the movie raise above the huge mass of teen comedies out there. If I wouldn't be so bad at making predictions, I'd say Craig Roberts has a bright future ahead.

Grade: 66/100

47. Olympus Has Fallen (2013)

Olympus-Has-Fallen.jpg

Of the two White House movies that came out in 2013 one I loved and one I found to be boring as hell. 'Olympus Has Fallen' is over the top, unreal and silly, but at the same time - fun, crazy enjoyable and... well, just crazy! Seeing the White House go down in flames was nice, and seeing Gerard Butler kick ass was even nicer.

Fuqua's direction is good, like always. Kudos to him for that, because it's very easy to have such a concept and fuck it up in a second (see 'White House Down').

Grade: 67/100

fd4454b0d8b23a7efc7a47eb07442549b3433c7b

LOVE LOVE this movie.

• Like 1