James

James' Top 50 Of The Decade So Far (It all ends here...)

Potter broke 450m around two years ago.

In the East, Potter is a lot more popular. And in Europe, Potter also bests it. And we're just talking about films. The Potter books were the biggest cultural pop phenomenon of the 21st century.

Not to mention that Potter's themes about tolerance, love, and empowerment are just...<3

And yet, if you look at Wikipedia's own page for all-time bestselling books, while they list the HP saga around 450m, the numbers listed higher on the page (for individual books) don't add up to that figure.

Yes it does:

HP 6 - 65m

HP2 - 60m

HP3 - 55m

HP4 - 55m

HP5 - 55m

HP 7 - 50m

HP1 - 107m

447M. And it wasn't updated in 2 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_books

Potter broke 450m around two years ago.

In the East, Potter is a lot more popular. And in Europe, Potter also bests it. And we're just talking about films. The Potter books were the biggest cultural pop phenomenon of the 21st century.

Not to mention that Potter's themes about tolerance, love, and empowerment are just...<3

Granted, the books were absolutely huge. And the films of course were huge as well. But there's no easy comparison with the series overall, at least in terms of definitively stating anything.

• Like 1

And yet, if you look at Wikipedia's own page for all-time bestselling books, while they list the HP saga around 450m, the numbers listed higher on the page (for individual books) don't add up to that figure.

the wikipedia source is not working, so yeah I would trust a source like The Guardian much more than a borken "How Stuff Works" link

Oh really? WW? :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl: Please enlighten me. Because all proof shows otherwise.

How does "all proof show otherwise"?

You even said yourself that Star Wars' bigger box office numbers 'don't count' because times have changed - you seem a bit desperate.

SW is a vastly bigger brand. We're not just talking box office here - think about the characters. Darth Vader, Chewbacca, R2-D2 - these characters are globally iconic. Think about all the toys that have been sold. Think about all the spin-offs - the videogames, the TV shows, the books, the comics. Think about the references in popular culture around the world.

HP is huge, yeah, but SW is the biggest entertainment brand ever.

• Like 5

I stand corrected on my math. :) My overall point still stands, though.

What point? The 400M mark was confirmed by Rowling's agent back in 2008 and he has acces to publishing data. Plus, just think DH sold 15M in the first day alone. Saying the number is around 300M is absurd.

What point? The 400M mark was confirmed by Rowling's agent back in 2008 and he has acces to publishing data. Plus, just think DH sold 15M in the first day alone. Saying the number is around 300M is absurd.

Leave Tele alone. He's old.

• Like 3

my franchise is mur populur den yuurrrrrrs

Idk why this is so important to some people tbh. The popularity of something says nothing about its quality.

(Though, obviously, Star Wars is much better than Harry Potter ;) )

• Like 7

How does "all proof show otherwise"?

You even said yourself that Star Wars' bigger box office numbers 'don't count' because times have changed - you seem a bit desperate.

SW is a vastly bigger brand. We're not just talking box office here - think about the characters. Darth Vader, Chewbacca, R2-D2 - these characters are globally iconic. Think about all the toys that have been sold. Think about all the spin-offs - the videogames, the TV shows, the books, the comics. Think about the references in popular culture around the world.

HP is huge, yeah, but SW is the biggest entertainment brand ever.

Are you actually kidding me :lol: Maybe my generation is stupid, but I have a WIDE crcle of friends and if I asked them who Chewbacca is they'd ask me "what?". 

And of course the numbers are disproportionate. The best comparison is between the prequels and HP because they came out during the same general period of time. Let's just wait and see what SW7 does and we'll talk after that what's the bigger brand WW.

• Like 1

When a SW film begins to approach just 20% of a Potter film like DH1, then we can start discussing.

Otherwise, it's just a bunch of Americans who refuse to see that not every country is the same. And that Potter is indeed more popular.

• Like 1

Time to chill. This talk is useless anyway. We are obviosuly fans of something completely different and we won't be persuaded by someone else. I think most Marvel movies are shit, SW is mostly shit and HP, POTC, and TF are awesome. I don't really care if someone disagrees. That's how everyone of us thinks. So let's call it a truce.

• Like 1

Idk why this is so important to some people tbh. The popularity of something says nothing about its quality.

(Though, obviously, Star Wars is much better than Harry Potter ;) )

The more money your film makes the better it is and more likely it is to become a revered and respected classic with time, amirite?