James

James' Top 50 Of The Decade So Far (It all ends here...)

20. Man of Steel (2013)

1smi.jpg

Aside from 'Days of Future Past', 'Man of Steel' is the only superhero movie on the entire list and also my second favourite SH film ever, behind only 'X-Men: The Last Stand'.

Previosuly, I was never a fan of Superman. Beside the fact his old incarnations looked incredibly stupid and goofy, there's also this perfect moral persona that I REALLY HATE! But Zack Snyder managed to fix that, offering a SF-ish approach to Superman, a new appearance and a much more complex character (the neck snapping scene is probably the best from any SH flick).

Also, the action spectacle was off the charts, approaching the God territory of Bay or Emmerich.

Zimmer made sure the score gets stuck in your head so another plus.

But the most important thing: the movie has that dark, gritty approach that I love so much. The threat feels real. Zod is finally the villain we needed to see in a movie of this genre.

Grade: 88/100

19. Transcendence (2014)

transcendence-927308l.jpg

There's no secret I LOVE original SF and when it's done with such care to details and has front and center one of the best actors working today (Johnny Depp), nothing can go wrong. 

'Transcendece' is not a pure SF movie. It's a dark drama about morality and what being human truly means, completed with a bleak look at the future of technology and our world in general. The soundtrack is not bombastic and it compliments perfectly certain scenes, while delivering a strong emotional punch.

The concept is not a new one, but the way it is adressed makes it memorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFEvlQ5FIVY

Grade: 88/100

Transcendence?  Did we see the same movie?

shocked_joey_friends.gif

• Like 6

Haha, I KNEW someone would ask this exact thing :lol: My opinion is Transcendence gets hate just because Depp plays the main character.

No, Transcendence gets hate because it takes powerful, resonant themes and fucks them over with bad writing, a ridiculous plot and dumbed-down action.

Johnny Depp is the least of the movie's problems.

• Like 1

Haha, I KNEW someone would ask this exact thing :lol:  My opinion is Transcendence gets hate just because Depp plays the main character.

I am a big fan of Depp.  Transcendence is a vicious life sucking bitch from which there is no escape from the suckiness.

• Like 1

Watched Man of Steel last night, what a misfire that was and a snore. I was happy because last night I conviced my buddy who liked it its a bad movie. He left sad. Superman doesn't speak until 48 minutes in. Im pretty sure the guy from Law & Order has more lines. 

And also of course you need Nachos and a beer to watch Taken 2. You need something to pay attention too. 

• Like 2

Watched Man of Steel last night, what a misfire that was and a snore. I was happy because last night I conviced my buddy who liked it its a bad movie. He left sad. Superman doesn't speak until 48 minutes in. Im pretty sure the guy from Law & Order has more lines. 

And also of course you need Nachos and a beer to watch Taken 2. You need something to pay attention too. 

rVLrxp2.gif

You can thank me later :P

you convinced your buddy it was bad? that's just mean.