James

James' Top 50 Of The Decade So Far (It all ends here...)

44. Hansel and Gretel: Which Hunters (2013)

hansel-and-gretel-witch-hunters-638976l.

This movie probably has one of the best casts (as far as I'm concerned) of all time. Famke Janssen, Gemma Arterton and Jeremy Renner are all among my favourite actors. But that aside, the movie is incredibly silly and fun. I mean, Hansel and Gretel are which hunters, you have classical witches (on brooms :lol: ), ugly, with pointy noses and hats that do dark magic and a typical, cliche fantasy background but used well for once. It's pretty much a no brainer. And I mean it. You don't need to be smart to enjoy this, there's nothing thoughful about it, it's not a smart movie, but it does it's job: keeping your eyes glued to the screen.

tumblr_m9u90yGHGv1qet6nvo2_500.gif

Grade: 69/100

43. The Adventures of Tintin (2011)

the-adventure-of-tintin-movie-poster.jpg

This is the ONLY animation on the list. I usually don't watch animations, unless you talk 'Scooby-Doo' (yep, great childhood memories), because I am not that easily entertained by them. But this one was great. Starting from the techinical side, which was obviously masterfully done, to Spielberg's direction, Moffat's screenplay (Doctor Who), and Bell's, Serkis' and Craig's voices 'everything was awesome'. Also, the story was very compelling. 'Adventure' is the best genre there is and these 'quest' type of stories, if well done, are the most enjoyable to follow. Surprisingly, I found 'Tintin' to also be quite mature. Whether because it's comics based existence or not, there's a certain complexity to it.

tintin_gif___updated_by_daleknek-d4g34gy

Grade: 70/100

Edited by 69 Shades of James
  • Like 5

42. Battle: Los Angeles (2011)

battle-los-angeles-movie-poster-03.jpg

I know this gets almost univeral hate, but it is a good action flick. No surprise, I really like alien invasion themed movies and they don't have to have a twisted story or great acting to get me engaged. Just good action. And this obliged. Seriously though, the battle on the streets of LA reminded me of 'War of the Worlds' which is a good thing considering I found that Tom Cruise movies to be excellent (probably the best invasion film ever made). Now, 'Battle: LA' doesn't cary the same emotional punch, but it is still entertaining as hell.

41. Upside Down (2011)

tumblr_mcxdqu6ynH1qms6p1o1_1280.png

I really didn't expect to love this so much. I'm not a 'romance movies' type of guy, but this really touched me. The SF love story is in a way a classical one about two lovers separated by social status, but it's uniquely executed. They are from different worlds. Literally. The aspect of these worlds is so nicely done and the overall movie feels like a painting, in a similar way 'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince' or 'Life of Pi' do.

Acting wise, Kirsten Dunst gives a great performance and Jum Sturgess is not too shabby either. 

CFGI5qa.gif

20511656.jpg

Grade: 71/100

Edited by 69 Shades of James
  • Like 2

I love your list James.  It's refreshing to see some of these popcorn movies on here....especially since I agree with a lot of your choices so far.  

• Like 1

42. Battle: Los Angeles (2011)

battle-los-angeles-movie-poster-03.jpg

I know this gets almost univeral hate, but it is a good action flick. No surprise, I really like alien invasion themed movies and they don't have to have a twisted story or great acting to get me engaged. Just good action. And this obliged. Seriously though, the battle on the streets of LA reminded me of 'War of the Worlds' which is a good thing considering I found that Tom Cruise movies to be excellent (probably the best invasion film ever made). Now, 'Battle: LA' doesn't cary the same emotional punch, but it is still entertaining as hell.

41. Upside Down (2011)

tumblr_mcxdqu6ynH1qms6p1o1_1280.png

I really didn't expect to love this so much. I'm not a 'romance movies' type of guy, but this really touched me. The SF love story is in a way a classical one about two lovers separated by social status, but it's uniquely executed. They are from different worlds. Literally. The aspect of these worlds is so nicely done and the overall movie feels like a painting, in a similar way 'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince' or 'Life of Pi' do.

Acting wise, Kirsten Dunst gives a great performance and Jum Sturgess is not too shabby either. 

CFGI5qa.gif

20511656.jpg

Grade: 71/100

Upside Down sounds interesting, I have a thing for sci-romance. it's actually one of my favorite genres, and I love Jim Sturgess. 

• Like 2

I liked In Time a bunch. Didn't see the lake house.

okay, hmm I may not like Upside Down then. you should check out the Lake house, it's a lot more romance driven then In Time, but it's great. 

Edited by Visor shades Kalo
  • Like 1

In Time is fucking bland, can't remember one thing about it, wait I can, there is this scene where Olivia Wilde is literally running out of time, she needs a bus ride to get more "hours" in her house or whatever, but she doesn't have the money, she begs the bus driver to let her in or she will die. He refuses and she dies.  :sick:

• Like 2