James

James' Top 50 Of The Decade So Far (It all ends here...)

So you ruined your friend's night? :lol:

Yeah he went in all excited. He had seen it 2 times before so he asked me to do a play by play commentary on why its bad. About 20 minutes in he stared to join in. I wish we recorded it. I had a great time. Poor guy. 

Honestly first mistake of filmmaking in MOS 20 minute intro on Krypton. There is an 12 minute/page rule for setting up for prologue/intro action scene . EVERY movie follows it, MOS just throws sooo much shit at you in the beginning, its so much to take in and there is no build up to spectacle no awe moment because its nothing but money shots. 

Just imagine if the whole time we were with them sending Kal off to earth and maybe intercutting with politics but the first big money shot was his mom walking out and seeing all the destruction. That would be jaw dropping, but its not because we've seen 150 VFX shots already. The reason the pull up to island in JP works so well is that the movie has 0 money shots before it, so when it comes its grand. 

• Like 2

Come December, James will be the newest and most enthusiastic acolyte.

Considering Jupiter Ascending was released this year also, a comparison is inevitable. And considering the only sequence I didn't find laughable from the SW teaser was the one with the ships above that lake, SW has a lot of ground to cover.

But never say never :lol:

20. Man of Steel (2013)

1smi.jpg

Aside from 'Days of Future Past', 'Man of Steel' is the only superhero movie on the entire list and also my second favourite SH film ever, behind only 'X-Men: The Last Stand'.

Previosuly, I was never a fan of Superman. Beside the fact his old incarnations looked incredibly stupid and goofy, there's also this perfect moral persona that I REALLY HATE! But Zack Snyder managed to fix that, offering a SF-ish approach to Superman, a new appearance and a much more complex character (the neck snapping scene is probably the best from any SH flick).

Also, the action spectacle was off the charts, approaching the God territory of Bay or Emmerich.

Zimmer made sure the score gets stuck in your head so another plus.

But the most important thing: the movie has that dark, gritty approach that I love so much. The threat feels real. Zod is finally the villain we needed to see in a movie of this genre.

Grade: 88/100

19. Transcendence (2014)

transcendence-927308l.jpg

There's no secret I LOVE original SF and when it's done with such care to details and has front and center one of the best actors working today (Johnny Depp), nothing can go wrong. 

'Transcendece' is not a pure SF movie. It's a dark drama about morality and what being human truly means, completed with a bleak look at the future of technology and our world in general. The soundtrack is not bombastic and it compliments perfectly certain scenes, while delivering a strong emotional punch.

The concept is not a new one, but the way it is adressed makes it memorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFEvlQ5FIVY

Grade: 88/100

So you hate Superman, but you loved Man of Steel? just goes to show, how far they alienated their own audience. Superman is one of the greatest superheroes ever created, he is a Symbol of hope for mankind, and he stands for what everyone should strive to be as a person. I'm sick of people thinking just for a character to be cool and relatable he needs to be dark and brooding (or even evil) I didn't hate Man of Steel, but they really greyed out his character more than he needed to be, plus some really sloppy writing was in there, it's like they decided film it after the first draft!  and The Original Superman Movies (1 & 2) are fantastic there is a lot more to movies than VFX. 

• Like 1

Yeah he went in all excited. He had seen it 2 times before so he asked me to do a play by play commentary on why its bad. About 20 minutes in he stared to join in. I wish we recorded it. I had a great time. Poor guy. 

Honestly first mistake of filmmaking in MOS 20 minute intro on Krypton. There is an 12 minute/page rule for setting up for prologue/intro action scene . EVERY movie follows it, MOS just throws sooo much shit at you in the beginning, its so much to take in and there is no build up to spectacle no awe moment because its nothing but money shots. 

Just imagine if the whole time we were with them sending Kal off to earth and maybe intercutting with politics but the first big money shot was his mom walking out and seeing all the destruction. That would be jaw dropping, but its not because we've seen 150 VFX shots already. The reason the pull up to island in JP works so well is that the movie has 0 money shots before it, so when it comes its grand. 

Seems like you need another one :P

tumblr_inline_nad6zvAjKa1qjjzql.gif

• Like 1

1) Not a mistake.

2) Never heard of that rule.

• Like 2

So you hate Superman, but you loved Man of Steel? just goes to show, how far they alienated their own audience. Superman is one of the greatest superheroes ever created, he is a Symbol of hope for mankind, and he stands for what everyone should strive to be as a person. I'm sick of people thinking just for a character to be cool and relatable he needs to be dark and brooding (or even evil) I didn't hate Man of Steel, but they really greyed out his character more than he needed to be, plus some really sloppy writing was in there, it's like they decided film it after the first draft!  and The Original Superman Movies (1 & 2) are fantastic there is a lot more to movies than VFX. 

But that's exactly why I don't like most Marvel movie and why X-Men: The Last Stand is my fav SH film (because of Jean turning dark). It's funnier to see that than a boring straight moral arrow.

And also why the only SW I like is ROTS. Anakin's transformation, even if not perfectly handled, was awesome to watch.

Edited by 69 Shades of James

But that's exactly why I don't like most Marvel movie and why X-Men: The Last Stand is my fav SH film (because of Jean turning dark). It's funnier to see that than a boring straight moral arrow.

I'm not saying all SH should be like that, but they don't all need to be 50 shades of grey (pun intended XD) 

Also I'm having a really really bad day like this bad day:

alexander-and-the-terrible-horrible-no-g

(why did they have to name that title of a book after me? )

so don't take anything I say to personally. 

Edited by Visor shades Kalo

1) Not a mistake.

2) Never heard of that rule.

Its a screenwriting rule. 

And watch the runtime from now on when you watch movies its always 11 - 13 minutes. Always. Im constantly looking at the runtime when I watch movies at my house and 90% follow it. 

First 3 examples in my head, all 3 Indy movies intro is exactly 12 minutes, so is both of JJ's intro action beats in Star Trek. Also in Star Wars it takes 12 minutes for the droids to land on tattoine and so on. 

• Like 1

Its a screenwriting rule. 

And watch the runtime from now on when you watch movies its always 11 - 13 minutes. Always. Im constantly looking at the runtime when I watch movies at my house and 90% follow it. 

First 3 examples in my head, all 3 Indy movies intro is exactly 12 minutes, so is both of JJ's intro action beats in Star Trek. Also in Star Wars it takes 12 minutes for the droids to land on tattoine and so on. 

Throw all that Syd Field shit away, man. It fuckin' ruins movies. There is no formula to follow... years and years of generic classes teaching this stupid formula have made generations of lousy screenwriters who follow the formula. THERE IS NO FORMULA. The best writers and directors don't give a damn about following anything.... and that's why they're great.

• Like 6

Throw all that Syd Field shit away, man. It fuckin' ruins movies. There is no formula to follow... years and years of generic classes teaching this stupid formula have made generations of lousy screenwriters who follow the formula. THERE IS NO FORMULA. The best writers and directors don't give a damn about following anything.... and that's why they're great.

Reached my like quota, but BIG LIKE.

• Like 1

I'm surprised Green Lantern didn't make James' list. Scifi, CGI-heavy, that sounds like something that's up his alley.

Green Lantern was awful. The VFX was also awful. And I don't like Ryan Reynolds. Plus, it resembled a Marvel movie too much, too kiddish.

Green Lantern was awful. The VFX was also awful. And I don't like Ryan Reynolds. Plus, it resembled a Marvel movie too much, too kiddish.

Really? Complaining that a superhero movie is too much like a Marvel movie? Lol

• Like 1

Green Lantern wasn't very good, but I thought, Reynolds did the best he could with what he had. 

• Like 1

Is that so? Thought you would be all up for that consider your love for colorful VFX-heavy sci-fi. Plots and whatever else seem not as important.

You don't like Ryan Reynolds? Man, you'll hear from baumer soon enough :P