James

James' Top 50 Of The Decade So Far (It all ends here...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2THVvshvq0Q

I don't like Bay movies, but even I have to concede that the guy has some talent.

I don't think he is talented in the slightest. He certainly has a distinct style - you can watch 5 minutes of a Michael Bay movie and you know it's a Michael Bay movie - but I that doesn't make his style any good. He even describes it himself as "fucking the frame".

BATTLESHIP is terrible on every level, and makes you realize what a visual savant Michael Bay is.

Incorrect. The movie was fun if empty.

No, Tele, that is the OT of Star Wars. :P

Worse than incorrect, but we've established you put modern technology over actual composition, staging, execution, editing, camerawork, etc when it comes to how something looks.

• Like 4

Incorrect. The movie was fun if empty.

Worse than incorrect, but we've established you put modern technology over actual composition, staging, execution, editing, camerawork, etc when it comes to how something looks.

He's right about Star Wars though.

• Like 1

I don't agree with that on any level either. :o

It's been awhile since I've really liked a Bay movie... but the one area he shines at is dynamic visual framing and composition. He doesn't always use it to best effect for the story (because without fail he's trying to make every shot as rad as possible, whether it really fits the moment or not), but unquestionably he's insanely talented in that one area... and a film like BATTLESHIP is a good example why, since Berg seems to be consciously aiming for a Bay aesthetic but falls well short.

There's a great series of YouTube videos by Tony Zhou of "Every Frame a Painting" (it's a formal examination of visual storytelling) and one of them breaks down some of the reasons why Bay's style is so dynamic, and how most imitations fall short.

http://youtu.be/2THVvshvq0Q

Edited by Tele's Inert Goddess
  • Like 4

I don't think he is talented in the slightest. He certainly has a distinct style - you can watch 5 minutes of a Michael Bay movie and you know it's a Michael Bay movie - but I that doesn't make his style any good. He even describes it himself as "fucking the frame".

I disagree, Michael is an excellent cinematographer, he just happens to use the same shoots way to often and in the wrong places. I actually really like four of his movies too.

The Island A-

Armageddon B+

Transformers B+

Pearl Harbor B+

• Like 1

30. Project X (2012)

project_x_ver2.jpg

I like raunchy comedies and this one is one of those rare situations where the found-footage genre was put to good use. This film was a source of good time and amazing tunes for me. I still have a few song used there on my phone. Plus, let's be honest, who doesn't want a party as crazy as that, no matter how unrealistic it is.

Just like the events presented in it, 'Project X' was a huge rave with some crazy scenes and a (sort of) manifesto against authority and who doesn't love that?

Grade: 81/100

29. Cloud Atlas (2012)

MV5BMTczMTgxMjc4NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjM5

With this mind boggling adaptation the Wachowski's prove once again their great vision when it comes to science fiction and 'Cloud Atlas' is a borderline masterpiece. The only thing that takes from it's value is the pacing. Unlike 'Jupiter Ascending', which at times moves too fast, 'Atlas' has some very slow parts. Nonetheless, it's a memorable movie with a great message behind it and I find this huge wave of hidden semnifications to be what truly makes these directors the top of the industry.

Cloud-Atlas-wallpaper-1024x576.jpg

Grade: 82/100   

• Like 4

No, Tele, that is the OT of Star Wars. :P

That's not really true, by saying that you're implying that the score is bad, and no sane person would actually say that Star Wars score is bad.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 4

It's been awhile since I've really liked a Bay movie... but the one area he shines at is dynamic visual framing and composition. He doesn't always use it to best effect for the story (because without fail he's trying to make every shot as rad as possible, whether it really fits the moment or not), but unquestionably he's insanely talented in that one area... and a film like BATTLESHIP is a good example why, since Berg seems to be consciously aiming for a Bay aesthetic but falls well short.

There's a great series of YouTube videos by Tony Zhou of "Every Frame a Painting" (it's a formal examination of visual storytelling) and one of them breaks down some of the reasons why Bay's style is so dynamic, and how most imitations fall short.

http://youtu.be/2THVvshvq0Q

tumblr_inline_ncuglnlyhk1rtr2xy.gif

• Like 2