James

James' Top 50 Of The Decade So Far (It all ends here...)

Ithe score isn't that good, there is nothing that stands out apart from the amazing theme.

Two Against One is almost great though.

It's better than the Star Wars score. :P And not all movies have to have a stand out, perfect, epic scores like HP, LOTR, POTC or TF. 

• Like 1

Are you actually telling me SW has something on these themes? :lol:

Not only does Star Wars "have something" on them, it basically created the modern style for those movies to imitate (or, in the case of Williams, revisit). C'mon, guys, this is basic 101 stuff. You may prefer other scores, but to try and deny SW its place as one of the absolute towering pinnacles of modern scores is just absurd.

• Like 10

Not only does Star Wars "have something" on them, it basically created the modern style for those movies to imitate (or, in the case of Williams, revisit). C'mon, guys, this is basic 101 stuff. You may prefer other scores, but to try and deny SW its place as one of the absolute towering pinnacles of modern scores is just absurd.

Williams is much more knows for hs work in the Potter series than SW and the two are NOTHING alike. And Zimmer and Shore copied Williams? What?! C'mon Tele, be objective. The SW score is iconic. As iconic as others mentioned though? Not for modern audiences.

• Like 1

Are you actually telling me SW has something on these themes? :lol:

Yes, I think John Williams' SW score is better than all those films scores. It is okay of you disagree, but like Tele said, those scores wouldn't be what they are without the influence of Williams' SW score.

Williams is much more knows for hs work in the Potter series than SW and the two are NOTHING alike. And Zimmer and Shore copied Williams? What?! C'mon Tele, be objective. The SW score is iconic. As iconic as others mentioned though? Not for modern audiences.

WHAT? You are flat wrong. Williams isn't more know for his Potter scores. :lol:

• Like 3

This is categorically untrue unless you're just a giant HP fanboy to the exclusion of almost everything else. Williams' HP score is considered a nice contribution at the end of an amazing career. It doesn't remotely define him nor is it what he's known for.

I said nothing about "copying" score. The very concept of using character and thematic motifs to drive an orchestral score that could stand on its own as a piece of music is not unique to Williams (Korngold and Steiner, among others, famously developed this style for movies back in the 30s), but it had completely fallen out of style in later decades and Williams was at the very forefront of taking these older concepts and revitalizing them for modern adventure films. (He's not the only one -- Jerry Goldsmith is another giant in that area). Every single modern score that features this style of musical composition owes a huge debt to Williams (and these other famous composers)... and these composers would be the first to admit and give thanks, tribute, and homage to them.

• Like 8

I believe that James saying Potter is more popular than SW has to do the fact that it might very well be where he lives. TBH, since the series ended the Potter craze has died down quite a bit.

Any ways, my favorite score of the ones mentioned is Pirates for sure.

• Like 1

Yeah, because SW is more popular today than Potter is :rofl:

Overseas maybe, but not in US by a long shot. Still, that doesn't change the fact that his SW score is and will always be the one he us most known for.

His best score is either Empire, Raiders, or Jurassic Park by the way.

Overseas maybe, but not in US by a long shot. Still, that doesn't change the fact that his SW score is and will always be the one he us most known for.

It's Raiders, if you ask me.

• Like 1

But being know for something inclues popularity and his most popular WW work is on HP, especially beacuse today is 2015, not 1970. US is just a very small part of a very big world (yep, I just made a Jupiter Ascending throwback :P ).

• Like 1