James

James' Top 50 Of The Decade So Far (It all ends here...)

No offense, you guys, but your concept of film history seems to only go back 15 years or so.

It's fine if you like these other movie scores more -- we all have our own personal opinions. But to try and use that as the definition of an objective reality is just wrong.

But it does. I'm a 21st century kid (well, born in 94 but you get the idea) and I very much live in the present where I can see what's popular (and well known) and what's less popular. I don't really care how things were 40 years ago.

• Like 1

I can't speak for Southeastern Europe, but in the US without a doubt the most recognized piece of film music is the Imperial March.

It's been co-opted everywhere, especially in sports.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 3

I can't speak for Southeastern Europe, but in the US without a doubt the most recognized piece of film music is the Imperial March.

You mean you can't speak for Europe in general (there's nothing in Europe more popular than HP and LOTR).

• Like 1

But it does. I'm a 21st century kid (well, born in 94 but you get the idea) and I very much live in the present where I can see what's popular (and well known) and what's less popular. I don't really care how things were 40 years ago.

If you have the slightest interest in movies, then it's well worth while to actually explore this stuff a bit. Otherwise, you're basically just a viewer who consumes without any concept of where a lot of this came from (and in fact, often-times the filmmakers are paying tribute or homage to). Nothing wrong with that.... but it doesn't seem very interesting to me.

• Like 5

If you have the slightest interest in movies, then it's well worth while to actually explore this stuff a bit. Otherwise, you're basically just a viewer who consumes without any concept of where a lot of this came from (and in fact, often-times the filmmakers are paying tribute or homage to). Nothing wrong with that.... but it doesn't seem very interesting to me.

I generally do. For example, I know JJ borrowed elements from SW and I find in ST a much better SW for example. But I also know that some things lose relevance over time and a lot of old franchises make no exceptions. And I know nothing is fully original today, but if today's filmmakers use some elements from old movies they do it in such a way that they remove the classic, goofy vision most old movies have.

• Like 1

I generally do. For example, I know JJ borrowed elements from SW and I find in ST a much better SW for example. But I also know that some things lose relevance over time and a lot of old franchises make no exceptions. And I know nothing is fully original today, but if today's filmmakers use some elements from old movies they do it in such a way that they remove the classic, goofy vision most old movies have.

When you describe it like that, all you're indicating is that you really don't understand much of what you're talking about. I'm not saying you have to. I'm not saying that's how you must look at movies, or that you must like older movies. Of course you should enjoy what you enjoy, because you enjoy it. But when you don't have a solid grasp of those elements, you can't really explore them (or contemporary versions of them) in a critical discussion. That's all.

I'm sorry I've derailed your countdown so much. Looking forward to the rest of your list. :)

• Like 4

It's been co-opted everywhere, especially in sports.

yes, my sister played it at her wedding, and I'm pretty sure everyone knew what it was.

• Like 1

Are you actually telling me SW has something on these themes? :lol:

You've got to be kidding, what John Williams did with the Star Wars scores, was monumental, and it is probably the most influential music in films in history, and shaped the entire modern world of music in movies, it is because of Star Wars that themes like that exist.  The Lord of the rings score is incredible though.

Edited by Visor shades Kalo
  • Like 2

28. Dracula Untold (2014)

DRU_IMAX1Sheet_RGB_0911_sm.jpg

This movie had a hell lot of silly moments, but damn it, this is the kind of flick cinema was created for. It's insanely fun to watch, keeps you on the edge of your seat and has some moments that will make you feel very satisfied even if they don't make a lot of sense. Evans gives quite of a performance and that's actually saying much considering I hate most films made about Dracula, that have absolutely no base in reality. I am glad this brought up the the historical part: the Otoman Empire and it's century long dominance over South-Estern Europe.

Grade: 84/100

27. Insterstellar (2014)

interstellar-movie.jpg

The Christopher Nolan space opera is one of those rare things in the movie industry that come once every few years and show you how a certain genre should be treated. 'Interstellar' is an epic space ballad, that carries a huge emotional punch and some truly stunning visual work. 

In his typical, realistic style, Nolan makes you ask yourself many sensible questions in what is probably the most thoughtful movie of the decade so far.

Grade: 85/100

Edited by 69 Shades of James
  • Like 2

You've got to be kidding, what John Williams did with the Star Wars scores, was monumental, and it is probably the most influential music in films in history, and shaped the entire modern world of music in movies, it is because of Star Wars that themes like that exist.  

Really? Show me a single similitude between SW and LOTR OST wise.

• Like 1

that being said, I actually didn't check your lord of the rings link right away, Howard shore, is an Incredible composer, and his scores, is perhaps tied with star wars for me. 

• Like 2

You've got to be kidding, what John Williams did with the Star Wars scores, was monumental, and it is probably the most influential music in films in history, and shaped the entire modern world of music in movies, it is because of Star Wars that themes like that exist. The Lord of the rings score is incredible though.

James is a Henry Jackman kind of guy. Everything sounds the same.

Edited by Alpha