Kalo

Kalo's 54 films of 2014 countdown. (Countdown complete #1 on page 9)

I have an issue with the ending of If I Stay ( being that I don't understand why she made the decision she made)

it was because she was in love with her boyfriend wasn't it?

42# Noah

Emma-Watson-in-Noah-2014-Movie-Poster.jp

So I get that Darren Aronofsky was trying to put his artistic take on this tale, I mean technically this wasn't exactly based on the Bible, it's based on a Graphic Novel that's based on the Bible, so yeah it's pretty far off from the biblical interpretation, The thing is I found that most of the biblical stories are extremely rich to begin with, and It probably would have been much better to elaborate on it rather than take it a completely different direction, well maybe having his own take would have worked, if it was written better. I found a lot of stuff really cheesy in this movie, the rock giants fallen angels for one thing, Tubal-cain was a really cheesy villain, Noah going mad was kind of obsured. and didn't like the fact that they made God mad because they didn't treat the Earth right, which maybe they didn't, but he flooded the Earth because mankind was evil to each other, and they didn't use gas on a massive scale or have electrically or things that could pollute like they do today. but that aside, I thought the movie was okay, Emma Watson was the standout and did fantastic, and I found her story to be one of the better ones, I also don't get why some many people were so offended by this movie. I also thought Logan Lerman was great. Russell Crowe was kind of the same as he is in a lot of his movies. but overall it was okay. 

My Grade: B- (maybe B  )
Favorite Character: Ila
Favorite performance: Emma Watson

Favorite part:

Ila Convincing Noah of the goodness in the world

347366,xcitefun-noah-2014-movie-wallpape

41# Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 

e16b541466e52f8f2a70a6515857744a.jpg

April O'Neil: So, you're... Ninja Mutant Turtle Teenagers?
Donatello: When you put it like that, it sounds ridiculous!

I really don't get why everyone hated this movie so much, It was funny and the Turtles were always cracking jokes and say stuff like "Dude" and "COWABUNGA!" I really liked the action sequences, Heck I even thought Megan Fox was tolerable. I didn't mind the backstory either. and yes some of it was cheesy and corny. but isn't it supposed to be a bit that way? I am a newer TMNT fan, I saw the 2006 Animated film first, which I thought was alright, and just this last year I saw the 1990 TMNT, and loved it. (and it's definitely the better film). but considering how bad I thought the movie was going to be. I was kind of surprised that I enjoyed it so much. sure it's no masterpiece by any means, but it was an entertaining pop film. also almost choose two other films for the 40th placement because they are so close.  

My Grade: B
Favorite Character: Michelangelo I think he's the funny one right? Um.. is it bad that I still get their names mixed up?  :ph34r:  
Favorite performance: The Turtles 
Favorite part: hmm, the elevator scene maybe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdgNSJiWJTo

Edited by Visor shades Kalo
  • Like 2

40# Divergent 

e52aec43981d339377d8ef554d68b59d.jpg

Dystopia in Utopia. after a war ravaged most of North America, The Districts were separated into five factions, Dauntless, for the brave, the soldiers and protectors of the districts, Erudite, The intelligent and  keepers of knowledge, Amity the peaceful, candor for the honest. and amugation the selfless who run the factions.

everyone is raised for a specific purpose, when they come of age they take a test to decide where they are best suited, Beatrice, takes the test and realizes she doesn't fit into any category, she is divergent. 

This movie has a really interesting albit flawed premise, I'm pretty sure most people would be divergent. but if you can get over that, the movie had it's good points and bad. Shailene Woodley was quite good as the protagonist and helped propel the movie, without her it would have been pretty dull, Theo James, was pretty decent too and him and Shailine had good chemistry. Ashley Judd was quite the standout as Triss' mother. Overall I liked this movie, it was a bit like hunger games, but different enough to be it's own thing, for the most part. the main problem I have is that the script seemed to try and keep as much from the book as it could, by simply shorting or combining scenes, so lots of scenes felt like that lacked depth, and everything seemed a bit toned down, I read most of the novel, and it's not really that strongly written, if the screen writers were smart they could have touched that up a bit by adding some the depth, I did really like some "test" sequences though. and that ziplining scene was really cool. also a lot of the side characters have almost no personality and are sidelined. Kate Winslet seemed a bit wasted here too. I liked this movie, it could have been better but it was enjoyable. 

Favorite Character: Tris
Favorite performance: Shailene Woodley
Favorite part: The Ziplining Scene. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF5DXvApbuU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q17a0afbno

• Like 1

39# The Skeleton Twins 

5115d78284a89b754a4906dbee1971df.jpg

After Milo, Maggie's estranged twin brother attempts suicide, Maggie, who has been been having suicidal tendencies herself, decides he should stay with her and her husband in New York. 

I really liked this movie, Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader were both fantastic in it and had excellent chemistry, and were completely believable as brother and Sister. I could related to this movie on quite a few levels, especially to milo I was extremely close with my older sister growing up, but there has been some distance since her marriage and move to another state. and of course that fact that he's gay. I want to work in the film industry and have dealt with feeling like a failure a lot and depression (though I think just about everybody has) even that joke about not knowing about the dog dying is just like something I would do, I also dress a lot like him and have a brown version of the blue sweater he wears :P but anyways, the story was interesting, I felt they could have gone a bit further in depth. I loved the lip sync scene that was mint. 

Favorite Character: Milo Dean
Favorite performance: Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader.
Favorite part: The Lip Sync scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_oqg77D8K0

• Like 2

38# The Amazing Spider-Man 2

f4e367dcfc5b940b9356a84199009fe1.jpg

So, wow this poor movie, it's kind of a mess, and now it's completely pointless. So if you are a member here you've probably seen this movie. it's really kind of redundant of Spider-Man 2. let me say that the first two original Spider-Man movies, are some of my favorite superhero movies of all time, and are pretty much singlehandedly responsible for my love for the Superhero genre, and Spider-Man is probably either my first or second favorite marvel hero. (the other being Captain America). so lets see Peter, and Gwen are together then there not, then they are, they introduced Herry differently I guess. First he decides to be Peter's best buddy then his arch enemy in a course of like ten minutes, oh and the Rhino oh the Rhino.. why Sony?, why? but despite some of the problems it had one them being too many cooks in the kitchen, it did have some redeeming qualities, a lot actually. Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone were both fantastic and had excellent chemistry together, I know I say that a lot, but it's a very crucial component for a good movie in my opinion. and their love story was actually dealt with really well. and if I look at this film as a romance drama it's good. any other way not so much. Sally Field gave really strong supporting role to this movie too. Dane Dehaan did what he could. but his character just wasn't handled very well. and electro looked really pretty. some of visuals were kind of cartoony. I can't really talk about my favorite part without giving away major spoilers for the small remnant of people who haven't seen it so. I liked it, big step down from ASM. well you know that say three times the charm? 

Favorite Character: Gwen Stacy 
Favorite performance: Emma Stone
Favorite part:

Gwen's Death Sequences, it was heartbreaking

fb5526326666f93095762a9ffdafd1a0.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqEIXB0mss4  

• Like 1

37# The Drop

37ad8921425247bd0ac8b46d119e19cd.jpg

Bob Saginowski, (Tom Hardy) runs a bar with his cousin, Marv, (James Gandolfini) that also happens to be a cash drop for various illegal exchanges. he's trying to play it straight, but when a crime takes place at the dinner. it puts Bob and the lives of the people he cares about in Jeopardy.

Well anymore who knows me at all, knows of my undying love for Tom Hardy. he's an incredible fantastic actor, and the case is no different here, he once again sumerges himself into the role of street smart New Yorker. James Gandolfini (R.I.P) pulls off a pretty good performance too, as Bob's crooked cousin. The film moves a bit slow, but when it's Tom with a dog. I don't mind much. "awws" all round. Noomi Rapace, was pretty good here as well. I really enjoyed this movie, not the best Hardy movie I've seen. but definitely worth a watch.

My Grade: B+
Favorite Character: Bob Saginowski
Favorite performance: Tom Hardy
Favorite part: every scene with Tom Hardy and the Dog. 

f94294b79d4a7b0a8eab70abe5395774.jpg

d37a8ed729a8837d07423afbc6f16ced.jpg

• Like 2

36# The Congress

da2997488241a073998d1d3e2005ae5f.jpg

Robin wright, plays an alternate version of herself, in this barzare dystopian sci-fi epic. Robin Wright was once a bright star in hollywood, she was Princess Bride, Jenny Curran in Forrest gump, but her bad career decisions has cost her, and now she is hard up for a role. The truth is she doesn't care about acting anymore she just wants to be with her son Aaron, who disease is causing hearing loss and eventual blindness. The corporates offer her one final job that will change her life forever.

Robin Wright own's this movie, she is fantastic in it. I found the story really haunting and interesting, uploading actors to a chip, so they can use the body for any role. and the Animation segment, was pretty amazing looking. I found some of the issues this movie deals with quite profound, peoples obsession with entertainment and excess, not wanting to live their own reality, so they creature a paradise of lies, maybe not this exactly but I could think of something like happening in the future and it's quite scary. the movie was a bit uneven though, the beginning was fantastic, but once it turns to animation, it loses some of it's direction and becomes a bit of a mess. but it's so ambitious it almost doesn't matter. this is a really unique movie, and if you haven't seen it yet. you should check it out.

Favorite Character: Robin Wright
Favorite performance: Robin Wright 
Favorite part: the recording scene.

7ea9535099ccdaae03e6a7a0fb88dc98.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rNSTizOsws

• Like 2

I've just noticed how your sig kind of ruins the suspense for this :P

Kind of wish TASM2 was about 17 places lower

my sig is dated, I've seen like over 30 2014 movies since then, I can't update ut anymore is all. never got rid of it. (well I could ask a mod to) hey I can understand why someone wouldn't like ASM2, it was far from perfect. but I still enjoyed it more or less.

35# The Grand Seduction 

6db25e00-ccc0-11e3-ac71-cf30696dc896_The

On a Small Canadian Island on a tiny port of Ticket head. the workers have been without work for years, and living off welfare, when one of them who works at Customers discovers that Lewis, has kokaine on his person, and that he is a doctor, and might just be their ticket to employment, the townsfolk go to great lengths to make Tickle Head a utopia for the young doctor.

This was a really cute movie, Brendon Gleeson is really good here, and I always found Taylor Kitsch to be underrated. I found this movie really funny, and the scenery was gorgeous. it was a nice little film.

Favorite Character: Murray French
Favorite performance: Brendon Gleeson
Favorite part: The "play with my machine" scene XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z61XwqxI8hM  

• Like 1

I haven't seen Grand Seduction yet, but I really want to. I didn't like Divergent all that much either, but I have to disagree with Noah :P

As for ASM2, while I acknowledge its problems, I still enjoyed it for what it was. Looking forward to the rest of your list!!

• Like 1

34# 4 Moons (Cuatro Lunas)

56693cf3a0bf951712e6c2134d12a0c1.jpg

Four Moons is a series of four different stories, four men all at different points in their lives, An eleven year old, who feels attraction for his cousin of the same sex. two young men who reunited after childhood, who discovered feeling for each other they didn't know they had, and longtime couple, who one begins begins to become unfaithful, and a man in his twilight, who longs to be with a prostitute, they stories never intertwin but are all parallel to each other. 

This is a Mexican film, I actually quite liked, it shows alot of issues that homesexials deal with throughout thier lives, such as discovering attraction, acceptance, shame, coming out and loneliness.  and I think if you are gay, you're bound to relate to at least one of the situations, the acting is quite good, especially the two younger characters storylines, which in my opinion we're also have  the best storylines. it does plays off a bit like a soap opera though. and is perhaps a bit too sappy at times, and probably too niche (and homoerotic  :P) for most general audiences. but overall I really liked this film. 

Favorite Character: Fito
Favorite performance: Cesar Ramos
Favorite part: not quite sure, I loved Fito and Loe's love story though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcdfXVbGcXc

• Like 3

33# The Imitation Game 

The-Imitation-Game-Teaser-Poster-UK-Quad

Alan Turing, is a socially awkward genius, recruited by the government to crack the enigma code. Turing works tirelessly to create the machine that will change the tides of the war, and the world as we know it. 

This was a good movie don't get me wrong, but I'm not sure I'd call it best picture material. well it is in the fact that it's chuck full of stuff that makes film critics swoon, it's a historical period piece and deals with civil rights, which don't get me wrong are great things, but should not alone elevate a film to this level of acclaim, Benedict Cumberbatch for example in my opinion is an incredibly overrated actor, he is convincing and does a good job, but he gives the same performance over and over again, plus is always playing the same character, the socially awkward genius, that's it, that's his range so far. there are numerous actors this year I could name who gave better performances. that being said, Keira Knightley was pretty good here, although her best performance was still in Pride and Prejudice in my opinion. However, The score, art direction and costumes were all excellent. and the story was compelling, I never even heard of Alan Turing before this movie, so I knew next to nothing about the story, and as such I'm not sure how historically accurate it is. The way society treated Turning after everything did, was just despicable and shows how far we have come in the world (and how far we still have to go). I overall enjoyed this film quite a lot. However I felt it was overrated. 

Favorite Character: Joan Clarke
Favorite performance: Benedict Cumberbatch 

Favorite part:

The Machine works scene

a51acf2db6c514bd04e11681749b85be.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIELdjwCGHE

• Like 1