Aliens  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Aliens

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I agree, very good film. It shares the claustrophoby and military action genes with Abyss respectively Avatar. If you compare this to "Alien", Aliens is longer (maybe a bit too long?) and it raises the stakes by throwing a child (Newt) into the action. While this works on an emotional level, it also makes for some cheesy and/or forced moments.My favourite character is Bishop (Lance Henriksen - I like his face, he lifts most films he's in to a better level - see "Pumpkinhead").One question remains: What's the matter with those motion detectors?! It seems they're not only useless; in contrary they always worsen the situation. Here as in "Alien" everybody would be better off just throwing those buggy things out the nearest chute (or at the nearest alien!)

This is Cameron's best film and I don't think you can make a better movie. This is the pinnacle of film making. Script, cast, acting, directing, music, cinematography, it's just brilliance personified.10.5/10

• Like 7

I don't love it as much as the first (put simply, the Aliens aren't scary in this one) but Cameron did very well to create his own thing and, inadvertently, create the space-marine that would inform almost every first person shooter videogame.

Yeah, I don't really look at Aliens as a sequel to Alien. They're just too different, not just because one is horror and the other is action, but because the Xenomorph in Alien is the "perfect organism" that is also very smart and shouldn't exist(this is why I liked the last scene in Prometheus a lot). In Aliens they were turned into a species of giant mindless space ants that were treated as mere cannon fodder. One other thing I liked about the Xenomorph in Alien is that I think it looked a lot better. In Aliens they looked a little too "mechanical" to me and less organic. The most obvious example was getting rid of the smooth head. Cameron got away with all this because he expanded the universe a LOT and gave us some fucking awesome characters. Vasquez and Hudson were my favorite. You also can't go wrong with the Queen. They're both perfect films for what they are. Edited by Shpongle
  • Like 1

In the Double Secret Special Edition Gerty appears as Newts sister. She calls Newt penis breath gets sent to her room and when the aliens attack, she dies a horrible death.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 1