grim22

Shaft | June 14 2019 | New Line. Jessie T Usher, Samuel L Jackson

On 2/5/2019 at 7:07 PM, TMP said:

This is gonna be the first WB film to lose money since... Father Figures?

nvm, I take this back.

Only $30m budget since Netflix paid for the other half of the budget for international rights (since "urban" films don't do well?? the fuck). Could see it opening to $25m, and legging it out to $95-100m.

I think this has a good chance to be a hit because, as we saw last year, the Summer season has a way of elevating films of relevant genres but a shaky chance at a hit status (like Crazy Rich Asians and The Meg) to domestic grosses above $100M. This seems like a film that can strike a chord. It's Baby Driver merged with the renaissance of African American film and television. Haven't seen the trailer yet, but at the current moment, I'm not too worried about this one.

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

Shaft, Shaft and Shaft. my favourite trilogy.

I know, right?  I guess calling it "Son of Shaft" makes it sound too much like a Universal horror movie...

Whatevs.  Looks fun, but looks more like a Sam Jackson Shaft sequel or parody.  Usher is not "Shaft"...and it looks like they just leaned into that.  The script in its origins in 2015 was surely intended to be a young reboot...but it's clear that they thought Sam Jackson was still more reliable as the "lead."  70 years old and still kickin' it...not bad. 

Edited by Macleod