stripe

Score and soundtracks - 2015 discussion

Let's discuss about this year scores and soundtracks!

Right now, there's a big one (Jupiter Ascending) by Michael Giacchino, and this might be also his year, because he's scoring also three big Summer tentpoles: Jurassic World, Inside Out and Tomorrowland.

What scores are you waiting the most? Will we see a score from James Horner soon?  Will Brian Tyler's score for Avengers 2 be better than Silvestri's first aproach? What can we expect about Star Wars 7? Will Williams return with two gems this year?

• Like 2

Most anticipated scores 2015

1. Star Wars VII - yes! I'm actually more thrilled with the score than with the movie

2. Jurassic World - Giacchino with Williams themes? Can't wait!

3. Spielberg Cold War film - Williams collaborations with Spielberg always mean great scores

4. Avengers 2 - Really interested with Tyler's vision. Will we hear the Silvestri's Avengers theme?

5. Inside Out - Up, Ratatouille and The incredibles are awesome. Giacchino is great when paired with Pixar

6. Fantastic Four - I'm curious to see the results of pairing Philip Glass and Marco Beltrami. Interesting choice

7. In the heart of the sea - thematically, it's a sweet challenge for a composer. And Roque Baños can surprise us

8. Chappie - let's see what Zimmer does. He's great with this type of films

9.  Pan - Dario Marianelli is a talented composer, and it could be a great score

10. Cinderella - those kind of Disney adaptations usually have solid scores. Let's see what Patrick Doyle has composed

Honorable mentions: Crimson Peak (Fernando Velázquez), Ant Man (Christophe Beck), Mockingjay Part 2 (James Newton Howard), The Walk (Alan Silvestri), Spectre (Thomas Newman)...

The Hateful Eight soundtrack is bound to have some great stuff as usual for QT. I don't even know about original scores. But hey last year's best score (Under the Skin) I had no idea about before I saw the movie, so I hope to be surprised again this year. Williams going back to SW and Philip Glass doing FF are the only things that interest me as far as blockbusters are concerned. 

The Hateful Eight soundtrack is bound to have some great stuff as usual for QT. I don't even know about original scores. But hey last year's best score (Under the Skin) I had no idea about before I saw the movie, so I hope to be surprised again this year. Williams going back to SW and Philip Glass doing FF are the only things that interest me as far as blockbusters are concerned.

Philip Glass is doing FANTASTIC FOUR????!

Damn....

• Like 3

I really really liked the Jupiter Ascending score; one of the redeeming factors of the movie. Kingsman also had a very fun score, and Seventh Son's score wasn't bad either. But so far Jupiter Ascending is by far the best.

In terms of anticipation I'm really only "looking forward" to Star Wars. I'm REALLY looking forward to it! Is Hans Zimmer doing anything this year?

• Like 1

Didn't know Thomas Newman was behind The Good Dinosaur! Interesting choice, but it's kind of strange given the comedic nature of the film, isn't it?

Nemo and Wall-E had humor, too. TGD seems like it's going to have a similar adventure/drama tone with light comic relief.

STAR WAR STAR WARS STAR WARS STAR WARS.

Jurassic World probably second most, I love Michael Giacchino, he's like a younger John Williams, not quite on his level of course, but still amazing. Inside out too. 

I'm interested in what they do with Mad Max too, AOA maybe (aside From WS, I've been pretty disappointed with the scores from The MCU though.)

Cinderella, Patrick Doyle is a pretty good composer. 

interested in the Heart of the Sea.

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 2

Most anticipated:

1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens - John Williams

2. Mad Max: Fury Road - Junkie XL

3. Jurassic World - Michael Giacchino

4. In the Heart of the Sea - Roque Banos

5. The Martian - unconfirmed (director+genre makes me excited)

• Like 2

As always, anything by Elfman, Desplat or T. Newman.

More specifically, the Williams scores go without saying.

Doyle's Cinderella is probably top since this is what he does best and the scores have been the best part of the recent fairytales, Maleficent and Alice are masterpieces.

Elfman's Tulip Fever is up there as his last two period dramas, Sommersby and Black Beauty, are two of his best. The director doesn't inspire much confidence though.

The Philip Glass sections of Fantastic Four I cannot wait to hear.

If Newman's still on The Good Dinosaur then that's mouthwatering, I think he has left though.

I'm pumped for In the Heart of the Sea based only on Banos' work on Evil Dead, which was so much better than the movie deserved. I've heard he's done plenty of great work but I haven't heard anything else.

David Arnold and Christopher Young don't seem to have anything lined up with is a major bummer.

• Like 1

Junkie X has yet to deliver a great score. I've listened two scores from him and they're nothing special.

Yeah, I know, but based on the signs from the trailer, they are using music and sound effects in a really intriguing way. Maybe that's just the marketing and it won't reflect the film itself, but it has me excited regardless! :)

• Like 1

As always, anything by Elfman, Desplat or T. Newman.

More specifically, the Williams scores go without saying.

Doyle's Cinderella is probably top since this is what he does best and the scores have been the best part of the recent fairytales, Maleficent and Alice are masterpieces.

Elfman's Tulip Fever is up there as his last two period dramas, Sommersby and Black Beauty, are two of his best. The director doesn't inspire much confidence though.

The Philip Glass sections of Fantastic Four I cannot wait to hear.

If Newman's still on The Good Dinosaur then that's mouthwatering, I think he has left though.

I'm pumped for In the Heart of the Sea based only on Banos' work on Evil Dead, which was so much better than the movie deserved. I've heard he's done plenty of great work but I haven't heard anything else.

David Arnold and Christopher Young don't seem to have anything lined up with is a major bummer.

David Arnold is great. It's a shame that composers like him don't get the opportunities they deserve