stripe

Score and soundtracks - 2015 discussion

Fury Road is the kind of score I despise on paper (Zimmer control approved droning noise, deafening drums, repetitive sound FX loops in action scenes and cheesy violins playing trite melodies barely resembling a theme in the slow parts) but it's a miracle that I loved the movie that much in spite of all this because the brash over-the-topness of it all just sweeps me away (Dat fat sludge-y guitar riffing)  that I can listen to tracks like The Bog, Storm Is Coming, Brothers In Arms and Immortan Joe's theme to remind me the sheer awesomeness of the movie without cringing at all the repetitive and numbing shit.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

Patrick Doyle's score for Cinderella has still managed to stick with me. Most of Disney's live action remakes have been garbage (though I reasonably liked Cinderella), but I'll be damned if they don't get some really good music. Fury Road and Inside Out were also pretty strong, as well as Jupiter Ascending. Paddington's score also had its charms. Otherwise, it hasn't been a super exciting year for me so far. Here's that I'm looking forward to most for the year:

Mychael Danna (The Good Dinosaur)

Thomas Newman (Bridge of Spies)

Fernando Velazquez (Crimson Peak)

John Powell (Pan) - I'm disappointed we lost Marianelli, but Powell's often pretty reliable in terms of family adventures.

Carter Burwell (Carol)

John Williams (Star Wars: The Force Awakens)

• Like 4

I just watched "Far from the Madding Crowd" the other night. and while the movie was actually pretty good for the kind of film it was, what really stood out was the score,  fantastic, some of the ques are very similar to "The Village's" theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NhDyTIgEHg

• Like 1

have been listening JW score for quite a while now. I'm surprised how good it was and how it matched seamlessly new and old material, the tone of the score for the first movie while still keeping some Giacchino flair. It could almost pass for a lesser John Williams score.

• Like 3

have been listening JW score for quite a while now. I'm surprised how good it was and how it matched seamlessly new and old material, the tone of the score for the first movie while still keeping some Giacchino flair. It could almost pass for a lesser John Williams score.

Still insane that for everyone else in the industry that this is called high praise.
  • Like 1

That is so true! 

But we all know that the Score of all Scores 2015 is coming this December ;)

• Like 1

On 12/11/2015 10:25:30, ShouldIBeHere said:

Thank you for sharing!

Any list that does not put Star Wars in top is useless. For me, top3 would be Star Wars original trilogy, LotR trilogy and a Morricone score.

Only a Goldsmith score? Weird, considering he composed gems like Planet of the Apes, Poltergeist, Alien, First Blood or The prophecy.

Not a single JNH score in the list? AWFUL!

1 hour ago, stripe said:

Thank you for sharing!

Any list that does not put Star Wars in top is useless. For me, top3 would be Star Wars original trilogy, LotR trilogy and a Morricone score.

Only a Goldsmith score? Weird, considering he composed gems like Planet of the Apes, Poltergeist, Alien, First Blood or The prophecy.

Not a single JNH score in the list? AWFUL!

Why only the original trilogy? The prequels have just as good scores.

The PT scores are incredible, but the OT scores are a step further in creativity and ambition. TPM is the best score of the PT, but I cannot consider AotC and RotS to be in the same outstanding level. They both sure had fantastic cues and are never less than impressive... But George Lucas killed AotC score editing previously released music in the third act, while RotS suffers a lot because of the not so inspired editing of the album.

The last two scores do not have an official complete edition and both really needed it.