Jump to content

Beginning on August 1, 2017 all free accounts will have the same avatar size as all paid accounts. This means you will be able to upload larger avatars on that day if you have a free account and this will no longer be a paid perk.

stripe

Score and soundtracks - 2015 discussion

Recommended Posts

On 2015. 11. 13., stripe said:

The PT scores are incredible, but the OT scores are a step further in creativity and ambition. TPM is the best score of the PT, but I cannot consider AotC and RotS to be in the same outstanding level. They both sure had fantastic cues and are never less than impressive... But George Lucas killed AotC score editing previously released music in the third act, while RotS suffers a lot because of the not so inspired editing of the album.

The last two scores do not have an official complete edition and both really needed it.

TPM's score is better than the OT ones except Ep. 4. Duel of the Fates is the best SW music ever and some other themes like The Droid Invasion are great.

I love that Williams didn't copy himself and created something new and exciting. I hope he'll do the same with Ep. 7. Of course some of the classic themes should be included as well. I would appreciate a new version of the Imperial March. The one in the end of Attack of the Clones was awesome.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, misafeco said:

TPM's score is better than the OT ones except Ep. 4. Duel of the Fates is the best SW music ever and some other themes like The Droid Invasion are great.

I love that Williams didn't copy himself and created something new and exciting. I hope he'll do the same with Ep. 7. Of course some of the classic themes should be included as well. I would appreciate a new version of the Imperial March. The one in the end of Attack of the Clones was awesome.

 

The best SW score is ESB. The best theme is Empire's March (iconic gem), the Love theme is gorgeous, Yoda's theme, innovative rousing action pieces (Asteroid field, Hoth battle)...

 

After it, ANH, TPM, RotJ, RotS, AotC

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stripe said:

 

The best SW score is ESB. The best theme is Empire's March (iconic gem), the Love theme is gorgeous, Yoda's theme, innovative rousing action pieces (Asteroid field, Hoth battle)...

 

After it, ANH, TPM, RotJ, RotS, AotC

I like the Force theme better and it's just as iconic. But The Imperial March is great as well.

Star Wars minus Williams:

:D

Original scene:

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Michael & Jeff Danna's score for TGD is really, really epic, having listened to it. Storm Chasers and Sky Sharks are intense tracks.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2015, 6:28:52, stripe said:

 

The best SW score is ESB. The best theme is Empire's March (iconic gem), the Love theme is gorgeous, Yoda's theme, innovative rousing action pieces (Asteroid field, Hoth battle)...

 

After it, ANH, TPM, RotJ, RotS, AotC

 

I like your list.

 

Here's mine: ESB, ROTJ, ANH, TPM, ROTS, AOTC

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On November 23, 2015 at 12:09:16 PM, Ethan Hunt said:

Newton Howard's work on MJ2 :wub: 

 

 

Very good score!

 

Looking back on the year my favourites so far have to be JW/IO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2015, 4:59:04, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Michael & Jeff Danna's score for TGD is really, really epic, having listened to it. Storm Chasers and Sky Sharks are intense tracks.

 

Yes, like everything else about the movie it lived up to my hype.

 

Lots of highlights; the main fiddle-driven themes, the Hisaishi-esque "Mountain Top" and "Lost in the Woods", "Orphans" and "Run with the Herd" 

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Force Awakens has really grown at me. At first I was disappointed but it took a few listens to really reveal itself. I love Rey's theme, Star Wars meets Harry Potter. Kylo Ren's motif is nifty too. Williams refuses to relent on the dense action music, this isn't for everyone but it really is for me.  Action scenes are scored nowadays with the music playing over the scene so it's always refreshing to hear Williams play inside the scene,  catching everything that's going on.

 

I think Williams mastered the balance between old and new in a way Abrams could never dream of doing. 

Edited by ddddeeee
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

The Force Awakens has really grown at me. At first I was disappointed but it took a few listens to really reveal itself. I love Rey's theme, Star Wars meets Harry Potter. Kylo Ren's motif is nifty too. Williams refuses to relent on the dense action music, this isn't for everyone but it really is for me.  Action scenes are scored nowadays with the music playing over the scene so it's always refreshing to hear Williams play inside the scene,  catching everything that's going on.

 

I think Williams mastered the balance between old and new in a way Abrams could never dream of doing. 

It's a really nuanced score, definitely a lot different than what we've heard from SW before. I'm starting to love it. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a lot to love from TFA score! Can't stop listening to Rey's theme, the finale, follow me, torn apart, the march... Just amazing cues!

 

I can't believe there are some that say this score doesn't feature memorable themes when we have two instant classic that also reflects how Williams has evolved these last years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TFA's score didn't blow me away, but I do admit I love Rey's theme. Is it wrong to say all the prequels had better scores than TFA?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's nothing wrong with personal tastes. Prequels scores were never less than brilliant.

 

For me, 

TPM is better than TFA.

AOTC has Across the Stars but had problems with the third act. Definetely under TFA.

ROTS has great score in the third act. And a great opening. I would rate it slightly below TFA.

 

A shame there's not an oficial Complete Score for Ep 2 & 3

 

Maybe, one of the problems with TFA score is that it wasn't recorded by the London Sinfony Orchestra. It affected to the overall sound.

Edited by stripe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Easily my least favorite score in any SW movies, and i listened to the whole album after seeing the movie. It's an okay score, any B list composer could've done it. It's very hard for me to say, but it's time for Williams to leave the franchise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, misafeco said:

Easily my least favorite score in any SW movies, and i listened to the whole album after seeing the movie. It's an okay score, any B list composer could've done it. It's very hard for me to say, but it's time for Williams to leave the franchise.

I appreciate that you didn't like it but the idea that anyone else could have wrote it is nonsense. The intricacies of Williams' writing and the orchestrations are so far beyond anyone else working today. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.