baumer

Baumer's ridiculous, uninformed, stupid list of MY BEST 105 FILMS EVER , FULL LIST PG 42

Personally, I can't imagine including a 2014 film in a "best ever" list. They need time to marinate.

I generally agree, but sometimes a movie hits in a way that it becomes an instant all-time favorite. Last time that happened for me was TS3 in 2010. Whiplash was close this year and I am sure it will enter my all-time favorites someday.

• Like 2

I lied about every film in here being a ten out of ten.

There are 9 films that get 10.5 and one that gets 11.

The one that gets 11 is definitely Citizen Kane.

:P

My guesses for your Top 10: Jaws, one (or maybe two) Rockys, a Star Wars movie, Pulp Fiction, JFK, The Fault in our Stars, a Transformer...

Well, that is as far as I got. I might need to do more baumer research. Or... well, wait for you to finish.

Edited by Sam
  • Like 1

The one that gets 11 is definitely Citizen Kane.

:P

My guesses for your Top 10: Jaws, one (or maybe two) Rockys, a Star Wars movie, Pulp Fiction, JFK, The Fault in our Stars, a Transformer...

Well, that is as far as I got. I might need to do more baumer research. Or... well, wait for you to finish.

Try Raiders of the Lost ark... *wink*wink*

• Like 1

Personally, I can't imagine including a 2014 film in a "best ever" list. They need time to marinate.

Depends. If it's a top 10 list then yeah, probably not, but top 100? Sure, I can see that. Though one film I saw last year is the best movie I've ever seen and I've thought about it a lot. Sure it hasn't settled in over several years and I've only seen it once, but I feel pretty confident in saying it's the best I've watched.

• Like 2

Depends. If it's a top 10 list then yeah, probably not, but top 100? Sure, I can see that. Though one film I saw last year is the best movie I've ever seen and I've thought about it a lot. Sure it hasn't settled in over several years and I've only seen it once, but I feel pretty confident in saying it's the best I've watched.

And that is?

• Like 1

I agree....but there are some films that become instant classics.  That's one of them imo.

• Like 1

103) A Few Good Men (1992)

Rob Reiner

Oh, yea, I keep forgetting, you were sick the day they taught law at law school.

I run my unit how I run my unit.  You want to investigate me, roll the dice and take your chances.  I eat breakfast 300 yards away from 4000 Cubans that were trained to kill me, so don't think for one second you can come down here, flash a badge and make me nervous.

a-few-good-men.jpg

Every once in awhile there are certain films that bring together Hollywood's elite or young hot stars in order to make a crowd pleaser. Certainly director Rob Reiner did exactly that but on top of this he made a top film that critics and fans loved equally which is no easy feat.

A Few Good Men is the story of two young marines who are charged with the murder of a fellow marine after they seemingly punished him and he died from the result. It seems like an open and shut case and the Navy brings on board hot shot young attorney Lt. Daniel Kaffee who is renowned for plea bargaining a case and never arguing. With the help of Lt. Cdr. JoAnne Galloway, who believes the boys were ordered to perform this brand of punishment on the victim, Kaffee is convinced to bring the case to trial. As they push further through the evidence and witnesses they begin to unfold what truly happened on the base and who was truly responsible for calling out the order that took the Marine's life.

What an unbelievable collaboration of a cast. Tom Cruise, Jack Nicholson, Demi Moore, Kevin Bacon, Kiefer Sutherland, Kevin Pollack, and an amazing supporting cast as well of lesser known but nonetheless amazing actors. This is perhaps the Oceans Eleven of the nineties except much, much better. Bringing together a cast like this, with such a powerful storyline is pure gold which it was!! Some of the best points of the film is the dialog between the characters, almost soliloquy type speeches from Cruise and Nicholson and of course the infamous if not overused "You Can't Handle the truth."

Tom Cruise is truly the star of the film turning in an emotional and turbulent performance as Kaffee. For a legal film, A Few Good Men is one of the smoothest moving, easy to follow, and well put together of the bunch. Rob Reiner truly did an amazing job making a mainstream yet critically acclaimed film. This is a film that everyone should see because it's one of those films that Hollywood thrives for...incredible star power in an amazing film.   

The original play was inspired by an actual Code Red at Guantanamo Bay. Lance Corporal David Cox and 9 other enlisted men tied up a fellow Marine and severely beat him, for snitching to the Naval Criminal Investigative Service. Cox was acquitted and later Honorably Discharged. In 1994, David Cox mysteriously vanished, and his bullet-riddled body was found three months later. His murder remains unsolved.

Jack Nicholson repeated his famous courtroom monologue as Col. Jessep off-camera several times so Rob Reiner could film the reactions of other actors from various angles. Nicholson's memorable on-camera performance was filmed last, but according to Reiner and the other cast members, Nicholson gave it his all every take as if he was on camera.  Reiner once asked him, in between takes, how he can do it so well, every single time.  Jack replied, "I love acting, Rob.  I fucking love it."  

Edited by baumer
  • Like 13

I'm not sure I believe in the concept of "instant classic". :)

When I saw TDK, instantly I knew it was a classic.

When I saw The Hobbit, I instantly knew it was a film that smelled like Bigfoot's dick.

• Like 9

Well, now that Noctis and Squaremaster are back doing theirs, I'll put mine on hold for a while, at least until some of these lists have completed.

Well, now that Noctis and Squaremaster are back doing theirs, I'll put mine on hold for a while, at least until some of these lists have completed.

I don't think you should hold off for Squaremaster, there are only like 10 MCU movies, so he will prolong his listing till after Age of Ultron come out to put it on the list for sure.

• Like 6

I don't think you should hold off for Squaremaster, there are only like 10 MCU movies, so he will prolong his listing till after Age of Ultron come out to put it on the list for sure.

Squaremaster considers each reel of Nolan movies its own separate movie. So his list is basically full at this point.

• Like 5

102) This is the End (2013)

Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg

200_s.gif

There's a sentiment in Hollywood that there are only 7 stories that are told, every movie is derived in some way from those 7 stories.  IMO, you can make it 8.  This is the End is one of the most ballsy, innovative, risky and original films I've ever seen.  To create the illusion that all of these people really didn't like each other all that much, took a lot of trust from everyone involved and if these guys really didn't like each other, there's no way this film would have been as good as it is.  I did a pretty big write up last year about this film when it made my number two film of 2013, so I won't go into a long winded rant about how brilliant it is, but to me, this is as innovative as it comes.  Before this film, Danny McBride drove me nuts, now I want to see more of his work.  

A truly brilliant film.

According to Seth RogenDanny McBride was the person who made everyone laugh and break character the most. At one point, it took 18 takes and over an hour for the cast to get a joke on film because Mcbride's delivery kept making everyone laugh.

Seth Rogen stated in an interview that at one point during production every main cast member took him aside and told him that they couldn't do what he was asking him to because it was going too far and getting too extreme. James Franco was the only cast member that never turned anything down.

tumblr_mufxt4782o1snmgtto3_500.gif

• Like 11

102) This is the End (2013)

Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg

200_s.gif

There's a sentiment in Hollywood that there are only 7 stories that are told, every movie is derived in some way from those 7 stories.  IMO, you can make it 8.  This is the End is one of the most ballsy, innovative, risky and original films I've ever seen.  To create the illusion that all of these people really didn't like each other all that much, took a lot of trust from everyone involved and if these guys really didn't like each other, there's no way this film would have been as good as it is.  I did a pretty big write up last year about this film when it made my number two film of 2013, so I won't go into a long winded rant about how brilliant it is, but to me, this is as innovative as it comes.  Before this film, Danny McBride drove me nuts, now I want to see more of his work.  

A truly brilliant film.

According to Seth RogenDanny McBride was the person who made everyone laugh and break character the most. At one point, it took 18 takes and over an hour for the cast to get a joke on film because Mcbride's delivery kept making everyone laugh.

Seth Rogen stated in an interview that at one point during production every main cast member took him aside and told him that they couldn't do what he was asking him to because it was going too far and getting too extreme. James Franco was the only cast member that never turned anything down.

tumblr_mufxt4782o1snmgtto3_500.gif

I really really need to see this movie.

• Like 4