grim22

Free State of Jones | June 24, 2016 | Matthew McConaughey, Gugu Mbatha-Raw. Directed by Gary Ross | First Trailer on Page 2!

14 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Movies like this just don't appeal to GA anymore.

American Sniper was a fluke powered by the America fuck yeah crowds.

Simply put.

Yes, the Sniper movie was about an ultra-Jingoist murdering criminal. That is why it was so successful domestically.

But isn't this movie here just the complete opposite?

• Like 1

McConaughey has never been that good (even the performance he won on Oscar for was easily beaten by several others that year), it's just for some reason everyone bought into the "McConaughssaince" narrative hook, line, and sinker for awhile. I guess cause he seems like a nice guy and it's fun to root for an underdog? Now that the narrative has worn off though, he will go back to just being considered an alright actor who is best at being charming in the right kind of movie.

• Like 2

Whether this movie turns out to be good or not, the title is horrible. I can easily see the general audience hearing the name, saying to themselves "WTF is Free State of Jones?", and then going to see Captain America Civil War instead. Or Snowden, or the Neighbors 2. Think this movie tanks given the May release date. If it was really good, it would do far better Oct-Dec.

1 hour ago, misterchief81 said:

Whether this movie turns out to be good or not, the title is horrible. I can easily see the general audience hearing the name, saying to themselves "WTF is Free State of Jones?", and then going to see Captain America Civil War instead. Or Snowden, or the Neighbors 2. Think this movie tanks given the May release date. If it was really good, it would do far better Oct-Dec.

Yeah the title is pretty awful. My first thought when seeing the title was that it was maybe the Bridget Jones 3 movie they're doing. :lol:

4 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

McConaughey has never been that good (even the performance he won on Oscar for was easily beaten by several others that year), it's just for some reason everyone bought into the "McConaughssaince" narrative hook, line, and sinker for awhile. I guess cause he seems like a nice guy and it's fun to root for an underdog? Now that the narrative has worn off though, he will go back to just being considered an alright actor who is best at being charming in the right kind of movie.

Is this where the backlash to McConaughey starts, or has it already? 

I still haven't seen Dallas Buyers Club and don't particularly care to, but the guy was mesmerizing in Killer Joe and especially True Detective. Any actor would be proud to have those performances in their resume. 

• Like 4

^ LOL.

I guess the best one can say about that poster is finally someone created a legitimately scary movie poster and it involved almost no Photoshop whatsoever. It's certainly the creepiest McConaughey has ever and will ever look, that's for sure.