45 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

A very ambitious movie with a fantastic central performance from Sharlto Copley as Chappie. Jackman, Patel were also good. Die Antewoord weren't bad either, IMO. There are some really funny moments in this, but also some epic and intense action sequences. The final action scene in IMAX is absolutely mind-blowing epic. This is a movie only Blomkamp could have made.

8/10 (B )

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 5

I found District 9 great, and Elysium good.

For me, Chappie is somewhere between those two.

The first hour isn't very engaging, I found the main gangster annoying, and the use of slow mo was too distracting at times.

However, VFX is top notch, Chappie is a very interesting character in himself, the second half is really good, and there are some big ideas here and there.

One of Blomkamp's strong points for me is that his films have high-stakes third acts, and Chappie continues that trend.

7/10.

• Like 3

HAPPiE CHAPPiE?

The title makes it sound like a kids movie. I'm sure some people will think it is. It's way too violent to be, maybe unnecessarily so.

The cast was pretty good. I especially liked Chappie's crew.

It was weird seeing Hugh as "the villain" after seeing him be heroic in so many movies.  I kept expecting him to switch sides.

The special effects for Chappie the robot were great.  I assume it was all CGI, so all the human/robot interaction sequences were done very well.

The robot was borderline annoying, specifically during the early learning stages.

But overall I liked the movie. Surprised at all the bad reviews.

• Like 2

Yeah I thought it was just me, but the film worked for me.

I thought it was funny at times, and yeah the schmaltzy stuff worked for me too.  

I definitely see some of the complaints and criticisms of the film, but overall, I think it was good.

B+

Hmmm, i liked this a lot until the end, which was too convenient. I give it 7/10

I teared with laughter at the carjacking scene, epic stuff.

Everyone in my theater also erupted into laughter in this scene :rofl:

The movie is legit funny in many scenes.

• Like 2

7/10, B to B+

I didn't read reviews but got that they were mixed (at best) ... I guess the critics probably went into "Chappie" with wrong expectations. This is, despite the possible philosophical or even theological ramifications, first and foremost a B-movie. As such, it succeeds - FX are simply superb, the pace is fast, the script tight, we root for Chappie and the villain has it coming and gets it.

Now, with the B-movie comes a certain silliness - the science and tech are dumbed down (not a real problem), and the characters are paper-thin, mostly just prototypes: the GANGSTA WITH THE GOLDEN HEART, the MAD SCIENTIST, the MOTHER, the CAPITALIST PIG, the VILLAIN ... and of course the misled hero. And if you've been following Blomkamp's long career through all of his two features, maybe we couldn't expect more, those are exactly the same cardboard characters stumbling through Districts 9 and E. And, really, if we accept this as a B-movie, this is not a real problem either.

There are real problems however - that's why I won't give "Chappie" an A - but most of these have to do with casting. Dev Patel? He's a complete zero here, sorry (he was the weakest link in "Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" too, btw ...). Sigourney Weaver? The guy she plays was barely sufferable in "Paul" because that was a comedy; here she's simply miscast. Hugh Jackman? I think the guy could play a nice villain, here he's wasted on his cardboard character and phones it in. The only "good" actors here are, funnily enough, guys that don't act for money as a rule - Ninja and Yolandi. At least they seemed to have fun.

• Like 2

The way I view this movie is if the Ninja character was played by someone else, it would've been a legitimately great movie. He really brings the movie down though with his poor acting that makes a character that could be a scene-stealer just obnoxious. Everything else was good though. Patel and Jackman both had fun with their parts and Copley and the digital effects make Chappie a legitimately lovable character. There's a lot of heart here, and I especially loved the third act, where Blomkamp started taking some real risks that paid off well enough for me. A huge improvement from Elysium (which I thought was awful,) and a very good movie in general. Definitely worth a watch. A-

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 2

Surprised reviews are so bad I really liked it. I thought the cast did a good job, Ninja is the shit. I love seeing how everyone grew to care for Chappie in there own way. I also applaud Blomkamp for taking the movie where he did even if its iffy territory. He is 3/3 in my book.

B (85)

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 3

Checking this out tonight. Every pal of mine that caught it over the weekend hated it and begged me to avoid it. One solemnly placed her hand on my shoulder yesterday night after dinner and pleaded, "Don't. Just don't. Wait for RedBox. It's really an awful movie." But, again, I'm checking it out tonight.

Edit. 'bout to get Chapped.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

Enter The Chappie. Fascinating catastrophe. B-.

Edit: After a night's sleep, dropping this to a C-. This is pure guilty pleasure garbage. I left with the smile I had after seeing Verbinski's wonky take on Lone Ranger.

Edit: Revisited Happier Chappie... B-.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

I totally get why they don't like it. But, I kind of liked it. It's a total mess. The characters are poorly drawn. It's rushed. It doesn't contemplate shit. And, really, aside from Chappie, no a single character worth rooting for... They're all total shits, even Patel's douched up engineer. It plays more a fanboy getting off to his favorite musicians with halfwit robot by their side. It's hilarious. I did love Chappie and Copley mo-cap performance playing him.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer