Impact

Best director predictions! 2015!

If we don't let any of the old men vote

Spielberg

Considering that old men will be the biggest backing for Bridge of Spies....

Edit: if they left out the men to vote we might get PC feminist films or rom coms or romantic dramas only! Do you really want that? :P

Edited by Impact

I don't even think Tarantino is a maybe. Everything he's done since Pulp Fiction pales in comparison to that, except Kill Bill Vol. 1. Hateful Eight will essentially be Basterds and Django put together into one movie, with a hint of Magnifcent Seven. 

From everything I've read about the movie (though granted not the script) it doesn't sound like that at all. It's not a revenge fantasy, or an epic, and it sounds much more like Reservoir Dogs (a bunch of people turning on each other in isolated setting) crossed with a mystery film and (at least visually) some classic westerns set during the winter like McCabe & Mrs. Miller and The Great Silence.

To me that sounds like the only possible Oscar contender this year that could be as exciting as Fury Road. But of course it does because I'm a QT fan for life.

• Like 2

Django's script changed alot from the version I originally read, so I'm assuming H8's script will too, but its bonkers. Same kind of historical setting as Django, but completely different feel. It's much smaller scale, and much more intimate and complex. Gittes put it pretty much perfectly- it's RD set in the Old West. I'm not in love with all the casting (Madsen in particular doesn't thrill me in that role, would have liked some interesting stunt casting), but the dialogue and plot is insanity and it feels like the kind of movie QT would have followed up Pulp Fiction with given the budget. Also, if the script is any indication, Goggins is probably in line for a nom (at least). His role is loaded, and he's gonna crush it. 

Also, judging based on the trailer, the early word, and the current cultural zeitgeist, I'd say Sarah Gavron really has a shot to break in. If Tyldum could do it for the Imitation Eh, she certainly can for what will probably be a better movie. (Imitation Game wasn't bad at all, just forgettable)

• Like 1

Considering that old men will be the biggest backing for Bridge of Spies....

Edit: if they left out the men to vote we might get PC feminist films or rom coms or romantic dramas only! Do you really want that? :P

Dear goodness I really hope you're being ironic. 

Because women only like romcoms and melodramas amirite fellas?

New predictions: 

Tarantino

Miller

Boyle

Gavron

DOR

Left out Spielberg because he's too obvious and Inarritu because I don't like him and because statistics aren't on his side (no one who won Best Director in the past 15 years was nominated for their next film, no matter how baity it was). Hey I never said I wasn't biased. 

• Like 1

If someone unironically believes that women will only vote for romance films or "PC feminist movies", they need to step back and re-evaluate themselves before making another post, IMO. Just an inane insinutation. But let's hope for irony. Anyway, The Revenant is a great book but I'm not sure its quite Oscar material. It'll be a great showcase for Leo and the cinematography on it is going to be out of this world but it doesn't scream Oscar to me. Plus, I'm pretty worried Inarritu is going to end up miles up his own ass with this one. Birdman allowed for that I guess, but this material doesn't. Both Bridge of Spies and Joy look thoroughly mediocre (also, I'm pretty sure Spies was filmed on a potato) but they have as good a chance as any, I suppose. Gavron, Todd Haynes, and Tom Hooper (lame) all seem like good bets at the moment. I'm rooting hardest for Miller and QT but I have my doubts. Wouldn't rule out a surprise nom for Vallee or Frears based on the supposed quality of their material. 

My predictions:

Gavron

Haynes

Hooper

DOR

Someone. Could be QT, could be SS, could be Miller, could be Vallee, could be Boyle, hell, it could even be Ron Howard. Gun to my head, I say Boyle. 

Edited by cmasterclay
  • Like 2

Dear goodness I really hope you're being ironic. 

That was the reply to that old men only seem to vote for some things-which if the old men didn't vote-that's unfair to Spielberg given he is one :P

(Though I am tired of feminist/PC people there but that's another story)

• Like 1

Because women only like romcoms and melodramas amirite fellas?

New predictions: 

Tarantino

Miller

Boyle

Gavron

DOR

Left out Spielberg because he's too obvious and Inarritu because I don't like him and because statistics aren't on his side (no one who won Best Director in the past 15 years was nominated for their next film, no matter how baity it was). Hey I never said I wasn't biased. 

Hmmm.

DOR

Miller

Haynes

Fukunaga

Tarantino

Thinking Haynes might actually be the safest pick for a nomination right now, with everyone raving about Carol and him being one of the most acclaimed directors of the past 20 years who's never had an Oscar nom (basically he's this year's Linklater/Anderson). Fukunaga is getting enough raves that he'll probably be hard to deny. Everyone who's seen MMFR knows that Miller deserves to be here, but this is the Academy, so for now he's the dark horse at best.

DOR, QT, Inarritu, Hooper, Spielberg, Boyle battling for the last two spots, maybe three if Miller gets the snub. 

Boyle is getting some tepid ink, but if he fixes the end I think he could get nominated.

DOR is going to turn it out and Joy looks and sounds like his most inspired film to date. Expecting him to win.

I'm still thinking Son of Saul is going to be top 5 BP and Nemes has a good chance as well.

So, I'd say

DOR

Haynes

Fukunaga

Boyle

Nemes

Innaritu will surely be in there, but I'll wait on that.

• Like 1