Chewy

Arrival | Nov 11, 2016 | Villeneuve/Adams/Renner | First Reviews Have Arrived.

Just finished discussing it with Grim and Tim.  Wow, what an incredibly provocative film.  It left me emotionally exhausted by the end.  I liked it immensely and I think both Renner and Adams were terrific in it.  

• Like 7

Just watched it.

I thought I would like it more than I did, although I was a bit sick so that might have spoiled some of it. The aliens reminded me of the Hanar from Mass Effect, only tougher. And it would be quite a well timed film if it had... arrived just after ME3 was released. 

Kinda muted on this. Maybe it's cause I'd read the short story first, but I had my problems with the adaptation

Spoiler

First of all, while compressing the daughter's story to what appears to be a flashback is very clever, but the film then focuses so much on the procedural/mystery aspects of the aliens' arrival, and the subtext of the communication between the species, that the daughter's part ultimately feels tacked on, like the movie didn't have enough drama and decided to add some the fastest way possible. In the short story the two storylines constantly intercut and work together much better, and the reveal that one half of the story is all in her future hit me much harder emotionally. 

The daughter dying an angelic sad death from cancer is the most sanitized, Hollywood version of that plot turn possible, in that no one is remotely guilty of her death. It provokes some uncomfortable questions - like, if Louise saw that her kid would get killed by a drunk driver or randomly stabbed in an alleyway or something, would she still accept it in the end? The short tory makes this work because it has her die when she's 25 and mountain climbing, so at least it makes it clear that she's consciously risking her life. 

I wish we could see some actual attraction developing between Adams and Renner. In the short story, he asks her out and they sleep together, while the movie is so single-mindedly focused on staying on that field and maintaining its mood that it tries to sell this by simply telling us they'll get married and with one bit of laughably hokey dialogue ("It wasn't meeting them... it was meeting you", etc). That whole part really did remind me of Nolan at his weakest - just sterile and sexless and dull. It's not like Villeneuve couldn't do this, either - one of my favorite scenes in Sicario is when Emily Blunt and her partner decide to ditch everything for an evening and go get drunk in some bar. It doesn't break the tension, and it's thrilling in its own way, because you don't normally see that in movies. Sure, then it turns dangerous, but here it wouldn't have to.

Also someone should have told Villeneuve that Shutter Island forever owns "On the Nature of Daylight". 

I make it sound like I didn't enjoy it at all, but no - Adams is excellent, Villeneuve knows how to keep the narrative tense and intriguing even when little happens, it's got a compelling message about communication and in terms of visuals and sound it's impeccable. It's solid, and the kind of film studios should be actively doing (I didn't learn until after the fact that it's essentially a big independent movie, which is kinda dispiriting), but it won't really stay with me. As far as Villeneuve is concerned I like Enemy and Sicario a lot more too. 

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Reveal hidden contents

Well, this weekend is just decimating the holdovers so I won't panic yet over Arrival's numbers. The week starting Monday will determine the success of this run. Re Jake's comments: 

Spoiler

"The daughter dying an angelic sad death from cancer is the most sanitized, Hollywood version of that plot turn possible, in that no one is remotely guilty of her death."

I was wondering when Hollywood decided that sci-fi movie heroines need to be burdened with a dead child in the first place. I disliked it here and especially in Gravity. Even in their absence it's children that determine how why empathize with female leads? Meh. 

1 hour ago, Tau Ceti said:

Well, this weekend is just decimating the holdovers so I won't panic yet over Arrival's numbers. The week starting Monday will determine the success of this run. Re Jake's comments: 

Hide contents

"The daughter dying an angelic sad death from cancer is the most sanitized, Hollywood version of that plot turn possible, in that no one is remotely guilty of her death."

I was wondering when Hollywood decided that sci-fi movie heroines need to be burdened with a dead child in the first place. I disliked it here and especially in Gravity. Even in their absence it's children that determine how why empathize with female leads? Meh. 

Well, the short story was written in 1998 so it's more of a coincidence that the two movies share that element. It works better in the story too.

8 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Kinda muted on this. Maybe it's cause I'd read the short story first, but I had my problems with the adaptation

Hide contents

First of all, while compressing the daughter's story to what appears to be a flashback is very clever, but the film then focuses so much on the procedural/mystery aspects of the aliens' arrival, and the subtext of the communication between the species, that the daughter's part ultimately feels tacked on, like the movie didn't have enough drama and decided to add some the fastest way possible. In the short story the two storylines constantly intercut and work together much better, and the reveal that one half of the story is all in her future hit me much harder emotionally. 

The daughter dying an angelic sad death from cancer is the most sanitized, Hollywood version of that plot turn possible, in that no one is remotely guilty of her death. It provokes some uncomfortable questions - like, if Louise saw that her kid would get killed by a drunk driver or randomly stabbed in an alleyway or something, would she still accept it in the end? The short tory makes this work because it has her die when she's 25 and mountain climbing, so at least it makes it clear that she's consciously risking her life. 

I wish we could see some actual attraction developing between Adams and Renner. In the short story, he asks her out and they sleep together, while the movie is so single-mindedly focused on staying on that field and maintaining its mood that it tries to sell this by simply telling us they'll get married and with one bit of laughably hokey dialogue ("It wasn't meeting them... it was meeting you", etc). That whole part really did remind me of Nolan at his weakest - just sterile and sexless and dull. It's not like Villeneuve couldn't do this, either - one of my favorite scenes in Sicario is when Emily Blunt and her partner decide to ditch everything for an evening and go get drunk in some bar. It doesn't break the tension, and it's thrilling in its own way, because you don't normally see that in movies. Sure, then it turns dangerous, but here it wouldn't have to.

Also someone should have told Villeneuve that Shutter Island forever owns "On the Nature of Daylight". 

I make it sound like I didn't enjoy it at all, but no - Adams is excellent, Villeneuve knows how to keep the narrative tense and intriguing even when little happens, it's got a compelling message about communication and in terms of visuals and sound it's impeccable. It's solid, and the kind of film studios should be actively doing (I didn't learn until after the fact that it's essentially a big independent movie, which is kinda dispiriting), but it won't really stay with me. As far as Villeneuve is concerned I like Enemy and Sicario a lot more too. 

Excellent arguments. I thought Arrival was good but not that great and definitely enjoyed Interstellar + last 3 Villeneuve movies more than this one.