Chewy

Arrival | Nov 11, 2016 | Villeneuve/Adams/Renner | First Reviews Have Arrived.

[nonspoiler post]

Alright I just got back from seeing this film, and it would be a crime to delve straight into spoilers while people are still figuring out whether to see it / whether its worth it etc and trying to test the waters by reading snippets here to gauge opinions before making their mind up.

----

Speaking in nonspoiler terms - i'd describe Arrival as a beautiful and poignant, emotive crescendo which will resonate with you long after you leave the cinema.

The LESS you know about it going in, the better. Dont try and tease yourself by reading or seeking out additional spoilers to the trailers. There's a good reason the films at ~95% rotten tomatoes approval with over 100 reviews. You already know how 'standard alien arrival/invasion end of world lots of things blowing up' sci-fi films usually go, but this definitely isnt one of those.

Since leaving the cinema i've been thinking about it nonstop, trying to make sense of it all - and the only real way to do that is simply to have a repeat viewing tomorrow. The second viewing will be in a completely different light.

To say any more would risk spoiling the beautiful little movie-magic journey Arrival takes us on.

Edited by Tyrian
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, water said:

i think i'm gonna see this tonight. i need to be distracted from the apocalypse that is occurring irl. i mean i would have gone either way but you know..

So you figured you'd add you political thoughts just for the hell of it...got it!

3 hours ago, FilmBuff said:

Two of those negatives came from people who claimed to not understand the movie. Rex Reed is a hater anyways. Only one that brought up problems was the Radio guy from Australia.

I just read the ABC guys review. He clearly was just never with the movie from the beginning. 

Edited by DeeCee

4 hours ago, CJohn said:

Hail Villeneuve. He might be the best director working right now.

My brain exploded and by the time it ended I had to grab its parts from all over the floor and put them back in.

I suppose you gave this "best director working right now" title to a lot of directors.

Just now, vc2002 said:

I suppose you gave this "best director working right now" title to a lot of directors.

I don't remember giving it to anyone else besides Nolan and Villeneuve but I may be forgetting something.